Default Alarm bells ring as players leave Titans

Alarm bells ring as players leave Titans

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...016378,00.html

A SHATTERED Daniel Conn has revealed he is up for sale as a posse of Titans stars confront the reality their days are numbered on the Gold Coast.

The Titans' impressive surge toward a maiden finals berth has had dire repercussions for those on the selection fringe, with Conn, Brenton Bowen and Ben Jeffery on the lookout for a new home next year.

A fourth top-liner, centre Brett Delaney, will almost certainly return to Sydney next season, while winger Chris Walker is weighing a $200,000-a-season move to the English Super League.

Meanwhile, hooker Ian Lacey remains unsigned for 2010 and is unlikely to win a new deal as the club looks to promote rising star Kane Lawton as Nathan Friend's understudy.

Conn was one of the shining lights of the Titans' 2008 campaign, playing the final five games with a shoulder that required reconstructive surgery after injuries decimated the Coast's roster.

But the Titans' long-term investment in back-row rivals Anthony Laffranchi, Ashley Harrison and Mark Minichiello has left little room under the salary cap for Conn.

The 23-year-old has begun reluctantly sounding out rival NRL clubs in the hope he can resurrect his top-grade career.

"At the moment, I'm struggling to find anywhere, to be honest," Conn said. "I started in first grade last year but I've missed the jump this year and I'm in the shadows a bit.

"They've pretty much got their roster sorted for next year and it doesn't look like I'm in it.

"I'm gutted. The Titans have had to upgrade some other blokes in my position, so I understand it's a difficult position for them.

"I'm just going to have to go somewhere else, but finding a club that can pay me what I'm on now is the hard part."

The bitter pill for Conn is that his brave act to delay surgery last year has directly impacted on his ability to impress this season.

As he continued his rehabilitation on the eve of the 2009 premiership kick-off, Conn had given forward colleagues the inside running.

Now he is trying to sidestep a fate that should not befall a man of his age and talent ? retirement.

"I definitely don't want to retire. I never thought I'd be in this position at the start of the year. I'm determined not to be on the scrapheap," he said.

"I was pretty disappointed when I heard some offers from other clubs. It's around 50 per cent of what I'm on now, so it's a kick in the guts.

"The frustrating thing is I delayed surgery last year to help the club out during its injury crisis.

"If I'd had the surgery straight away, I would have been right for the start of this year and been fully fit.

"I've spoken to a few clubs but it's not easy to find another team when I'm playing Q Cup.

"If the Titans offered me a similar contract (to what he earns now) I'd love to stay, but I've had no signs they are interested in keeping me here."

It is a similar situation for Jeffery and Bowen, who have yet to appear in the NRL this season after playing 19 and five games respectively last season.

Delaney hopes to stay, but the Titans' purchase of Storm sensation Joseph Tomane a fortnight ago has left the foundation centre in limbo.

Titans boss Michael Searle hopes Conn can secure his future elsewhere.

"We think highly of Daniel. At any other club, I think he'd be a starting back-rower, (but) we've got one of the best back-rows in the comp with Harrison, Laffranchi and Minichiello and Brad Meyers off the bench," Searle said.

"Conny is a great fella and he's been good for our club. It's a shame, but he just hasn't had the opportunity this year."

Of the club's backline riches, Searle said: "We have some surplus stock there. Ben Jeffery and Brenton Bowen will unfortunately miss out."
    The title of this article is a bit misleading. It makes it sound like the players are abandoning the team. The article in the paper had a few pictures of players. Conn, Delaney, Bowen and Jeffery all had 'GONE' written under them, and Walker and Lacey had 'GOING?'. Aside from Conn, I don't think there were any suprises there.

Delaney will be a massive loss. But don't forget we have lured Tomane from Melbourne The first three names mentioned dont come a suprise, they havnt had much game time this season but they are great to have as reserves, they add to the teams depth.

Bowen has really found it hard to break into the team since he arrived on the Coast. We will definately need to makwe another big signing or two before next season.
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

iam cut that conn is prob going aye, sifnt have bailey meyers henderson and cannings as front row with conn as back up 2nd rower
    he proved himself end of last season that his dedicated and it is sad how casue he didnt have the surgery to help the titans out, sorta came and kicked him in the guts as he missed the opening of the season.
    i admit he wasnt anything speical yesturday but 1st game of grade, hopefully in a game or two he shows his worth n gets a good deal at another club casue going by that the titans dont seem to want him,unless he has a stella game or two

prob be
    1. zillman
    2. mead
    3.tonga
    4.rogers
    5.gordan
    6.campbell
    7.prince
    ?
    Last edited by patskE; 28-06-09 at 11:33 PM.

Wow looks like Conn is gone. One of my favourite players as well, his departure will hurt. But if he gets a chance in the 17 he will give his all for his teammates and for his contract hopes.

It would be nuts if he can't get a contract. He is all class. The Celtic Crusaders could use him! He just needs a platform to show the world who he is made of.

But that will help our Finals campaign if we have Conn coming in playing with his signiture guts and glory passion, going after a contract.

I agree with Michael Searle that he would be a starting backrower anywhere else. Bu we do have a limited salary cap and a limited roster...

We are starting to feel the pains of being a club in the NRL. At least from a fan prospective.

Oh and while we are talking about Conn, well done to Robyn for bringing in Adam/89's TOUGH AS CONNPCRETE banner. And thanks for coming over to The Legion and singing it Daniel!
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Conn finally being back from injury and Mini/Ash out, he's got some time to prove himself worthy of another contract. He'll be great off the bench and if he can go well in the next few weeks the Titans just may find the cash to keep him. Remember Friend wasn't going to get another contract.. not one he was pleased with anyhow, but he played himself into one.

Delaney has said for a while he wants to move back to Sydney, and while he's a great player I don't think we lose much with Tomane.

Walker again, that'll give Mead a starting spot and we saw on Saturday night that there's no loss.

Bowen and Jeffery, I think there'll have to be a lot of injuries before we see them crack the top grade this year so if they can find a spot elsewhere I wish them all the luck.

Massive,massive mistake if we let Daniel Conn go

That is all

Couldn't care less if we let Conn go - 2nd rowers like him are a dime a dozen however Delaney will be a big loss. Centres like him aren't that plentiful and let's hope Gillmeister can teach Tomane how to tackle because he misses more than he makes at the Storm.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Our 2010 playing roster is looking somthing like this next year...

1. Preston Campbell
    2. Kevin Gordon
    3. Esi Tonga
    4. Joseph Tomane
    5. David Mead
    6. Mat Rogers
    7. Scott Prince
    8. Luke Bailey
    9. Nathan Friend
    10. Michael Henderson
    11. Anthony Laffranchi
    12. Mark Minichello
    13. Ashley Harrison

14. Brad Meyers
    15. Aaron Cannings
    16. Luke O'Dwyer
    17. William Zillman

Will Mathews, Josh Graham, Sam Tagataese, Jordan Atkins, Matt White, Jordan Rankin... there is no place for Conn, won't be a big loss.

Im liking the look of that a lot. Walker and Conn would be still great to have in there but WOW what a line up that is!
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

Titans First Grader goldcoastitans's Avatar

The Titans' impressive surge toward a maiden finals berth has had dire repercussions for those on the selection fringe, with Conn (going to be a very sad day), Brenton Bowen (done nothing anyway) and Ben Jeffery (effen about time - waste of money)on the lookout for a new home next year.

A fourth top-liner, centre Brett Delaney (very big loss hopefully they find someone as good to replace him ..and maybe someone that can pass to the winger ), will almost certainly return to Sydney next season, while winger Chris Walker (my favorite player im gonna hate the day he leaves) is weighing a $200,000-a-season move to the English Super League.

Ian Lacey (who is he hahahahaha..... joking...but we can spend money on better players)
    BECOME ONE OF US - BECOME A LEGIONNAIRE!

Maybe I didn't get the memo, but why did we purchase Bowen in the first place if he wasn't going to get a real trial.
    I hardly ever saw him on the paddock. Did he get injured or something. Seems such a waste of talent.

Titans First Grader goldcoastitans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    Maybe I didn't get the memo, but why did we purchase Bowen in the first place if he wasn't going to get a real trial.
    I hardly ever saw him on the paddock. Did he get injured or something. Seems such a waste of talent.
    he got injured all the time as far as i know ....he is like own own personal Steve Matai ...except gets injured before hitting the 1st grade team
    BECOME ONE OF US - BECOME A LEGIONNAIRE!

he did play a number of games last year as i remember.

Yep, he got a few games, but the young guys coming through are faster, better, and much less of a turnstyle.