Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Titans wary of depleted arch rivals

GOLD COAST are ignoring Brisbane's horrendous injury toll and anticipate a backs-to-the-wall performance when they meet the Broncos at Skilled Park tonight.

History shows the local derbies - which the Broncos lead 3-2 - produce thrilling finishes, with just five points separating the teams in for against across the five matches they've played.

But after Origin duo Karmichael Hunt and Peter Wallace joined captain Darren Lockyer, Sam Thaiday, Israel Folau, Tonie Carroll and Nick Kenny on the sidelines yesterday, bookmakers were offering $3.75 about a Brisbane victory - the best odds for the six-time premiers in more than a decade.

Titans co-skipper Scott Prince conceded Brisbane were below strength but said history showed they were very dangerous when faced with adversity.

"Obviously, they're missing a lot of quality players with a stack of experience, and we know a wounded Broncos is a dangerous opponent," said Prince, who will line up against 19-year-old one-game rookie Ben Hunt.

The Titans have an injury concern of their own, and will have to wait until this morning to find out if hooker Nathan Friend (ankle) will play.

Former Bronco Ian Lacey and 20-year-old Penrith product and Toyota Cup hooker Kayne Lawton were on standby. Friend appeared no chance of being able to play earlier in the week after injuring his ankle against the Bulldogs last Friday, playing his second game in four days.

"It was terrible two days ago, but we will just wait and see tomorrow," said Friend, who did not train yesterday. "I'll go see the physio in the morning and see if the swelling's stayed away."

With veteran dual international Mat Rogers ruled out, lightweight utility Preston Campbell will move to five-eighth, and William Zillman will take over at fullback.

New Zealand-born prop Aaron Cannings is also back from injury, adding some extra go-forward to the Titans pack.

Source: AAP
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans might be favourites but odds count for nothing in local derbies

THE PRINCE DIARIES by Titans captain Scott Prince

REPUTATIONS and favouritism count for nothing tonight.

Forget everything you thought you knew about footy.

It doesn't matter who is on the injured list or positions on the ladder.

We might be the ones heading in as the favourites with the bookies but odds count for nothing in local derbies.

Everyone has written the Broncos off without their star players but that is just another reason why they are desperate to come down here and smack us on our home turf.

The Broncos are a very good team with or without their stars and they have shown throughout their history, time and time again, that there is always someone ready to step up when a player falls over.

That is what is scary about tonight's game.

They will come here with a 'nothing to lose' attitude.

You can only imagine the challenge that has been laid down by Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak.

We haven't lost at home, it is Friday night footy and they have got most of their biggest names in the injury ward.

Something more important than two competition points are on the line for the Broncos -- they are playing for pride.

If you strip away all the talk, at the end of the day it is 13 on 13.

The team that wants it more will win.

I compare the Titans rivalry with the Broncos to when I was with the Wests Tigers and we played Souths at Leichhardt Oval.

It has got that same feel about it.

In Sydney, rugby league is like a religion to the supporters down there.

It is a culture that has been developed over decades.

It has grown into an intense rivalry.

We have achieved that in our short history at the Titans.

But you only have to look back to the Seagulls and Chargers days, when the Gold Coast played Brisbane it was the same.

That history of rivalries set in the past, from players and teams well before my time, affects the blokes taking part in tonight's match.

It creates a sense of hatred. We would love nothing more than demolishing big brother.

It is not just the players, supporters of both the Titans and the Broncos look forward to this game just as much to see who emerges with the bragging rights.

While all the talk is about the Broncos' injury woes, we must worry about ourselves and how we approach it.

We need to turn up with the right attitude and start well.

That is the thing with local derbies, it isn't about who is playing, it is about who turns up.

Throw the form guide out the window because passion, pride and bragging rights are all that matter.

Here's how my week has been.

SATURDAY: Recovery swim and massage at North Burleigh. Spent the afternoon at Julie Cowell's house with Preston Campbell, Brett Delaney, Mat Rogers and our mad wingers for the backline barbeque, which she successfully bid for at the Titans Charity Ball in May. The chef from the Titanium bar cooked for us. Great feed. Kicked back, shared stories and played a bit of tennis with the kids.

SUNDAY: Day off from training. Went down to Tweed Heads for a friend's 40th birthday party.

MONDAY: Had football in the morning, did skills and speed followed by a weights session. Still hurting after the close loss to the Dogs on Friday. Keen to make amends this week in preparation for the Broncos.

TUESDAY: Did Today show interviews in the morning then on to training. Did a defence session with Gilly in the sand pit. I had sand coming out of my ears all night and even the next day. Also filmed Titans TV at Event Cinemas at Robina. I was red hot as always, definitely carrying co-hosts Jason Sintome and Adam Gardini.

WEDNESDAY: Joint press conference with the Broncos at the Titanium Bar before Luke O'Dwyer's sportsman's lunch. Nice to see Darren Lockyer suited up for the occasion, even if he did turn up about 20 minutes late. It was Chalky's third lunch he has put on now and he has raised close to $20,000 for charity. The bloke is on fire. Then shot over to Skilled Park that afternoon to shoot So You Think You Can Play for The Footy Show with Fatty and Miss Australia Rachael Finch. She would look outstanding in a Titans jersey, or any jersey for that matter.

THURSDAY: Final training run before the Broncos showdown. It is a massive occasion. We started poorly last week against the Dogs so we are looking to rectify that. Won't be taking the Broncos lightly even though they have a few stars out.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Kayne just as ableLuke Turgeon

FEAR of losing his first-team place to rookie Kayne Lawton is spurring Titans hooker Nathan Friend's determined bid to tackle the Broncos in tonight's southeast Queensland derby at Skilled Park.

While he sat out the Titans final training session at Robina yesterday, Friend successfully ran on his injured ankle earlier in the day during a solo hitout at Runaway Bay and will be given every chance to take the field tonight.

Lawton will make his NRL debut if Friend cannot recover in time, with former Bronco Ian Lacey to share the dummy-half role from the interchange bench.

Despite having his right ankle strapped and struggling to fit his shoe on due to the swelling, Friend was yesterday refusing to rule himself out of tonight's derby.

In a backhanded compliment for Lawton, Friend said the pressure being applied by the under-20s skipper was behind his bid to run out in front of a packed house at Skilled Park.

"In this day and age you don't want to give too many people opportunities in your position," he said.

Asked how Lawton would go, Friend said: "Really good, that is why I am worried about giving the guy an opportunity.

"He has got all the attributes to be a great player.

"He will handle it no worries.

"(Lacey) has proven himself at NRL standard before so there will be no problems there."

Friend said he would wait to see how his ankle recovered this morning before making a decision.

"I will roll out of bed and go see the physio in the morning to see if the swelling has stayed away," said Friend.

"Obviously playing against Brisbane (is going to be a massive game) and there are seven games leading into the semis, so you don't really want to miss a game.

"It is just my attitude, I want to play NRL firstly and with the big occasion coming up, I really don't want to miss that either."

Friend, who has minor lateral ligament damage, said it was unlikely he would do further damage by playing hurt and just had to put up with the pain.

He said he would not have a pain killing injection.

"The doc said to me I shouldn't hurt it if I wanted to play," he said.

Friend initially feared the worst when he twisted awkwardly making a tackle in the seventh minute of last Friday's 23-16 loss to the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium.

"I heard a little click there and I didn't really want to look down," he said.

"I immediately thought the worst but then as I looked down and I walked around on it, it felt OK.

"If we keep the swelling down, it shouldn't impinge too much."

Ruthless streak must start tonight, says Cartwright

TITANS coach John Cartwright has called on his side to ramp up their intensity in the run to the finals -- starting with putting the wounded Broncos to the sword at Skilled Park tonight.

The Gold Coast boast a dream run to the finals, with four of their remaining seven games at their Skilled Park fortress and just two more against top eight teams.

Needing just four more points to put a spot in the finals beyond doubt, the third-placed Titans appear destined for September action.

Cartwright yesterday said he wanted his side to become more ruthless over the remaining seven rounds as they continued to hunt a top-four finish and a home semi-final.

"I think we do have to get more ruthless," he said. "We have shown that at stages this year.

"There are times there our defensive line has held very well.

"At stages we have struggled to put on points.

"But (that doesn't matter as much) as long as defensively you are turning the opposition away, which is something we haven't done well over the past couple of weeks and we have to get back to that form."

The Titans' only matches against top eight sides are the sixth-placed Cowboys at Skilled Park next Friday and the eighth-placed Sea Eagles at Brookvale in the final round.

In between they meet the Warriors (12th), Rabbitohs (10th), Sharks (15th) and the Wests Tigers (11th).

While the Titans appear set to storm into the finals, Cartwright is taking nothing for granted.

The Gold Coast boss remains cautious about the weeks ahead, despite the Titans sitting high on the ladder.

While conceding it was the perfect opportunity to rack up a big score against the Broncos without their usual star-studded side, Cartwright said there would be no complacency tonight.

"You only have to go back to history and history shows that it doesn't matter who takes the field," he said.

"It is a local derby and it is going to be close to a full house, if not a full house, and there is plenty to play for for both sides.

"It is a game where it doesn't matter who is chosen to play.

"We have been up there the last couple of years with makeshift outfits and the occasion will bring out the best of who is on the paddock.

"We are just playing a Broncos jumper. Both sides are going to turn up ready to go."

Big rush on tickets this morning!

Availability:
    Titanium Single seats only
    Titanium Unlicensed Limited seats only
    Gold Single seats only

Gold Unlicensed Alloc. Exhausted
    Legion Unreserved Alloc. Exhausted

Steel Available
    Steel Unlicensed Single seats only
    Away Supporters Bay Available

Get your tickets asap Titans fans! We want you all there!

Here's to 2015

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_07 View Post

I was thinking the same thing myself!

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Im just hoping i can make it and if i do it might be the 1st time with the singlet

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    Im just hoping i can make it and if i do it might be the 1st time with the singlet
    I hope so mate, you looked very well at the Bulldogs game but on Wednesday you looked under the weather. Good luck, hope to see you there tonight.

If not, even though I promised I wouldn't give it to Hodges, because I am such a fan, I will for you if you can't make it!

You can always wear the singlet under a jumper. It'll be a cold night.

good to see there will be a big home crowd at the game! Hunt is confirmed out now which is good for the Titans and Nathan Friend will wait til last minute to see if he's fit to play, lets hope he is!

I'll be watching this game at 12.30 in the morning on Foxtel
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I hope so mate, you looked very well at the Bulldogs game but on Wednesday you looked under the weather. Good luck, hope to see you there tonight.

If not, even though I promised I wouldn't give it to Hodges, because I am such a fan, I will for you if you can't make it!

You can always wear the singlet under a jumper. It'll be a cold night.
    Yeah if i get to the game i will be coved up for sure....

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on the crowd figures.
    Highest this year was 20,031 against the Warriors.
    Highest ever was last year, 27,176 against the Broncos.

Capacity is 27,400 but I think there'll be a lot of Broncos fans staying away, so hopefully we can fill it with Titans fans and set a new ground record!

this years crowds havnt seemed to have been as good as last years at Skilled Park and i'd say theres various reasons behind that. Any less than 25k tonight though, would be a disappointment considering its a local derby.
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

Right! I'm on my way to the train station now, get there for gates open!

I'm leaving work in an hour. I'm actually getting nervous haha