Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Titans' dogged challenge

THE atmosphere and prospect of knocking off National Rugby League competition heavyweights the Bulldogs will have the Gold Coast Titans firing at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Despite the short turnaround from Monday night's 18-12 victory over Parramatta, Titans football manager Scott Clark dispelled concerns players would struggle backing up for two games in four days, saying the club loved a challenge.

The Gold Coast and the Bulldogs sit neck and neck on the premiership ladder and a victory on Friday would propel the Titans into outright second position, two points behind St George Illawarra who have a bye this weekend.

Clark said despite starting strongly then falling off the pace in recent seasons, the Titans of 2009 had shown they were 'the real deal'.

A crowd of more than 50,000 is expected at Suncorp Stadium, where the Titans play the Bulldogs and the Broncos take on South Sydney in the Friday night double-header.

"One thing we have shown in our short history is that we like the big games and the players really like stepping up to the plate in these matches," said Clark.

"We have always played tight games in front of the big crowds.

"The club is always up for a challenge and that's exactly what we know we will get on Friday."

With two games in quick succession, the Titans have a weights session today before a light ball work session tomorrow.

Preston Campbell will add more flair to the Titans line-up when he returns against the Bulldogs after missing Monday's victory with the flu.

Ashley Harrison has been named to make his return from a rib injury but that will depend on how he pulls up from tonight's third State of Origin clash in Brisbane.

Flyer Chris Walker is likely to miss the match with a quadricep injury while the coaching staff will closely monitor Mark Minichiello who picked up a knee knock but is expected to be passed fit for the Bulldogs clash.

Off contract at season's end, Walker, who has been impressive in his return to the NRL, left the field not long after scoring a try on Monday.

Clark did not expect Walker's latest setback to hinder his chances of securing a contract in 2010, whether that be at the Titans or another club.

"Everyone knows what Chris Walker can do and where his strengths are on the football field," he said.

"It's unfortunate as this is another setback for Chris but we still have nine games to play this season and I have no doubt that his contribution will play a big part in that."

Walker wants to be fit for the Titans-Broncos derby at Skilled Park on Friday week.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Preston is back for the tough run home

LIVEWIRE Preston Campbell's toughness can never be questioned, so the frustration he holds from missing Monday night's victory over Parramatta is understandable.

So when the opening whistle is blown against the Bulldogs tomorrow night, the Titans custodian will be in the thick of it.

"It's frustrating, especially when I wasn't injured. You hate to miss a game at the best of times," said Campbell of missing Monday's game with flu.

"At this time of the season it's really important to have your full strength side on the field but the boys won. They won ugly but nonetheless it's two points, so I was happy in the end."

With Chris Walker ruled out for two weeks with a quad injury, Campbell's return is timely for coach John Cartwright.

"We are very fortunate that we have Preston coming back, plus we've got David Mead and William Zillman so we are pretty spoiled for choice there at the moment." he said.

Despite the gruelling challenge of backing up just four days after their 18-12 win over Parramatta, Cartwright is confident his troops will rise to the occasion at a sold-out Suncorp Stadium.

It will be a big night of footy action, with the Titans and Bulldogs taking to the field after the Broncos-Rabbitohs clash.

"It's going to be hard this week but it was our choice to play on a Friday," said Cartwright.

"Mentally we have definitely been preparing for it and physically the players may be a little down but we are thinking the occasion and the atmosphere will get us through."

Cartwright said the Bulldogs were the first test in a tough run home. "(The Bulldogs) will take a lot of confidence out of that win against the Warriors," he said.

"They were well down on troops and it's going to be a similar situation for them with three guys backing up from Origin.

"We have some blockbusters coming up, this one's a sellout and hopefully the next two (against the Broncos and Cowboys) at home will be sellouts. It's not a time to sit back and worry about anything, it's exciting times -- you love playing those big games on the big stage."

Cartwright believes the return of co-captain Luke Bailey's would offer composure to the squad.

``That game against Parramatta was one he needed to get under his belt and he'll get better from here on in,'' he said.

``He's a club-captain, he's a leader and it's an important part of the year so it's good to have him back on the field.

Campbell said a win over the Bulldogs, who they beat 20-12 at Skilled Park in Round 3, would lift them as they look towards the semi-finals.

``I know the semis are still a fair way away but you need to go into the semis with some good form and the last couple of weeks we haven't been showing that form,'' he said.

``We showed some good stints against Canberra and a little bit against Parramatta early in the game but we really need to build some good momentum.''

``The Bulldogs are travelling well and they have people talking about them as premiership contenders so it'll really show where we stand in the competition.''

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

anyone got any news on harrison? been reading a few articles about injury's and stuff but cant find harrison anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    anyone got any news on harrison? been reading a few articles about injury's and stuff but cant find harrison anywhere.
    I just jumped on here on my lunch break to ask exactly the same thing.

i heard on the radio that hes fighting fit and ready to go......

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    Lockyer isn't. He's going to be out for three weeks, including the game against us next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by amaline View Post
    Probably not enough room with the 15 mascots the Broncos have
    And they are all named Buck. How original.

Not sure on the reasons why but you bet I will be there giving it to the Boncos next game. My target for the game... Hodges

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    Best news I have heard all day!!

Quote Originally Posted by dee13 View Post
    Not sure on the reasons why but you bet I will be there giving it to the Boncos next game. My target for the game... Hodges
    THANKYOU!!!!!!

He Will be my target too.......actually i have already made a banner for him.....
    HODGES
    IS A
    DISGRACE

he would be pretty game to try and start **** down at skilled park.......so im taking it to brisbane tomorrow night as well.......lol

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Default Bulldogs v Titans Preview

Bulldogs v Titans
    Suncorp Stadium
    Friday 8.30pm

We may be eight games out from the semi-finals but the two competition points on offer here will go a long way to determining the fate of these sides in season 2009.

Both share second place on 26 points on the NRL ladder, two points adrift of the Dragons who are guaranteed to maintain their top rung with a bye this week.

That means one of these sides will stay in touch with the race for the minor premiership, while the loser could fall to fourth place and face a battle in coming weeks to return to the top two.

Both sides have a short back-up, although the Titans have the advantage of having to sweat on the return of just the one Origin star in back-rower Ashley Harrison. Conversely the Bulldogs have their paws crossed centre Josh Morris, halfback Brett Kimmorley and hooker Michael Ennis emerge unscathed from Origin III.

Also, the Bulldogs have effectively surrendered their home-ground advantage, with this clash the second scheduled in a wonderful double-header at Suncorp Stadium ? the Titans are likely to have as many if not more fans make the trip up the corridor from the Gold Coast strip.

The Bulldogs have won four of their past five, their only recent blemish when they were overpowered by the Sea Eagles at Brookvale a fortnight ago. Despite being massively under-strength last week they were still too good for the Warriors in New Zealand, getting up in dramatic fashion with a 78th-minute try.

Injured prop Ben Hannant and suspended duo Bryson Goodwin and Greg Eastwood remain sidelined for another week. Yileen Gordon, who has been in excellent form the past month, earns a starting position in the second row, which pushes Gary Warburton to a bench bolstered by the inclusion of Toyota Cup star Ben Barba in jersey no.22.

The Titans have won five of the past six, their hiccup a 34-28 loss to the Raiders in Canberra. They weren?t at their best against the Eels last Monday night and met some spirited opposition but they managed to grind out an ugly win.

Preston Campbell returns after a week out, pushing William Zillman to the bench, while rookie David Mead takes over from the injured Chris Walker on the wing. Harrison?s return pushes Brad Meyers to the bench.

Watch out Bulldogs: Spurned NSW back-rower Anthony Laffranchi will be out to show he didn?t deserve to be overlooked by the Blues. Certainly his stats this season show he?s powering through his work ? he ranks second in the NRL for hit-ups with 258 (the only forward in the top five), plus he ranks 15th for tackles made with 508 (33 a game). He also ranks 13th for offloads with 25, making him a genuine threat all around the park.

Watch out Titans: Scott Prince and Mat Rogers will need to bring their kicking games with them and ensure they boot the ball well away from Bulldogs fullback Luke Patten. The NSW 18th man is making 140 metres a game from the back. His total of 2237 metres gained ranks second to Newcastle?s Kurt Gidley.

Patten has a wonderful knack of knowing how to link with his supports to turn a kick-return into a blistering counter-attack, so the Titans will need to ensure their kick-chase defensive line moves up in a straight line.

Where it will be won: Resilience on the short back-up. The Titans have just a four-day turnaround after defeating the Eels at Skilled Park, while their opponents have just one day extra to prepare having accounted for the Warriors in New Zealand on Sunday ? although their travel home on Monday evens that up.

There are two intriguing battles in particular ? in the halves and at hooker.

Brett Kimmorley has thoroughly deserved his Origin recall and is proving a wonderful initiator in attack. His vision and quick shifts are allowing five-eighth Ben Roberts plenty of latitude to plot raids out wide, and have helped him to compile 12 try assist and 12 line-break assists.

The Titans?outside defenders will need to be careful they don?t rush up too quickly or else Roberts will punish them ? he likes nothing more than to wait until the last moment to catch the ball, which enables him to position himself on the outside of his marker. From here he can either use his strong fend to break the tackle or else offload to supports including Josh Morris out wide.

Prince remains one of the most creative forces in the comp with nine line-break assists and 11 try assists.

Bulldogs rake Michael Ennis is a deadly link close to the line ? he has fashioned 12 try assists, most from close range. Likewise Titans hooker Nathan Friend is a valuable contributor, easily leading the NRL for most touches with 1843 ? 193 receives more than second-ranked Ennis.

The history: Played 4; Bulldogs 2, Titans 2. The Bulldogs won both games played in the Gold Coast?s inaugural year in 2007, but the Titans have won the past two games including a 20-12 win in Round 3 at Skilled Park.

Conclusion: Don?t expect this to be a walkover by either side. With so much at stake it has the potential to be one of the games of the season.

The Titans have most to lose. The majority of pundits are expecting them to fall away soon but they have a fit squad and are playing consistent football.

The Bulldogs appear to have more strike-power though and given their line-up plays to form they should prove too good. We?ll tip them by less than six points.

Source: www.nrl.com

LOL Hodges is a LEGEND. An absolute LEGEND! You guys are just bias because you are Blose! Even when he comes to Skilled, I won't be having a go at him, only worshipping him!

Anyway, you serious about Lockyer being out next week? OMG. Lockyer is everything to the Broncos, this could destroy their Finals campaign if he is out for even 3 weeks.

Kimmorley was amazing last night. I was always on the Kimmorley bandwagon and while the forces of good were defeated, he stuck it to his critics. Whether he can back up so soon, is another exciting challenge we will just have to sit back and watch unfold.

I hope Ash is ok, man that man is in the wars! What a trooper! But we need him back in blue, gold and white!

Yeah, three weeks. It'll be a huge blow for them.

NRL
    Darren Lockyer injures knee and is scratched for three weeks

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

Brisbane Broncos captain Darren Lockyer and forward Sam Thaiday have pulled out of Friday night's NRL double header at Suncorp Stadium.
    Lockyer is set to miss up to three weeks with a medial ligament strain picked up during State of Origin III, while Thaiday has been ruled out for one week with a rib injury. Aaron Gorell will cover for Lockyer, while Ben Te'o is set to replace Thaiday up front.

The Broncos are also sweating on injury updates for two other State of Origin stars, Justin Hodges and Karmichael Hunt who will notify coach Ivan Henjak of there availability on Friday morning.

Brisbane take on South Sydney in the first game of Friday night's blockbuster with the Bulldogs playing Gold Coast Titans in the second match.

Ashley is in doubt for this weekend according to Nine. I wouldn't be upset if we rested him - don't want to risk further injury.

The Broncos are done anyway, they'll get done for their previous salary cap breaches before the finals come around. Thanks Ken

MONEY FOR NOTHING & CHEQUES FOR FREE!
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    LOL Hodges is a LEGEND. An absolute LEGEND! You guys are just bias because you are Blose! Even when he comes to Skilled, I won't be having a go at him, only worshipping him!

Anyway, you serious about Lockyer being out next week? OMG. Lockyer is everything to the Broncos, this could destroy their Finals campaign if he is out for even 3 weeks.

Kimmorley was amazing last night. I was always on the Kimmorley bandwagon and while the forces of good were defeated, he stuck it to his critics. Whether he can back up so soon, is another exciting challenge we will just have to sit back and watch unfold.

I hope Ash is ok, man that man is in the wars! What a trooper! But we need him back in blue, gold and white!
    Hodges is a joke and allways will be, but Diehard we all know you have a soft spot for the Bonco's. Blues deserve there win last night and if that wasn't the best game in the last ten years I'll get my balls cut.