Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Titans sweat on Campbell

AAP Sun, 12 Jul 2009 12:21:18

Fullback Preston Campbell is battling the flu and has failed to train with the main group on Sunday, barely 24 hours ahead of the Gold Coast Titans' NRL clash with Parramatta.

The veteran will be given until the last minute to prove his fitness for the Skilled Park showdown.

The third-placed Titans (10-5) are just one win away from top spot and will be hoping to keep their winning (7-0) home record for the season against the out of sorts Eels (13th; 5-9).

Parramatta have never beaten the Titans.

Source: www.nrl.com

Titans shoot for eight straight at home
    Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans co-captain Scott Prince says his side cannot afford to rest on their unbeaten home record in tomorrow night?s clash against Parramatta at Skilled Park.

The third-placed Titans are shooting for eight straight wins at home for 2009 and have been installed as favourites for the clash against the 13th-placed Eels.

However, Prince said the Titans could not just expect things to turn around for them in their return to home turf after last weekend?s 34-28 loss to the Raiders in Canberra.

Click here to listen to audio interviews with Prince and Titans coach John Cartwright

?We?ve got a good record at home but that means nothing,?? said Prince.

?We have to go out there and stick to our game plan and hopefully get the two points.

?The record doesn?t really mean much, it?s tomorrow night and the 80 minutes that likes ahead.

?We have to go out there and complete our teams goals and personal goals and see where that leaves us at the end of the day.??

The Titans will be boosted by the return of senior trio Luke Bailey, Mat Rogers and Mark Minichiello for the clash and Prince said that the experiences campaigners were ?jumping out of their skin? ahead of the match.

?It?s a good feel at the moment, a few of the guys have been on a contiki tour so it?s good to have Rat (Rogers), Bails and Mini back,?? he joked.

?They?re jumping out of their skin so the break has been good for them.??

Source: http://www.titans.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I cant wait for the game I'll DEFINATELY be sitting in front of the TV cheering them on all the way from SA

Im very confident for a win, as long as the boys play their game and dont do some silly things, which im sure they wont

GO YOU TITANS!!!!
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

I cant wait for this friday nights match against the doggies.

I want the Titans to steam roll them while causing some big injuries. Im starting to get a 2003 Panthers/2005 Tigers type of feeling to this Titans team.

Prince winds up for a KO punch

LAST week Scott Prince gave himself an uppercut. Tonight at Skilled Park he is determined to KO the Eels.

The inspirational Gold Coast skipper took the extraordinary step of blasting his own performance following last Sunday's flop in the nation's capital.

Prince called his part in the 34-28 loss against the Raiders `dreadful' and has spent the week stewing over a missed chance to break the club's Canberra hoodoo.

It should serve as worrying news for Parramatta, attempting to be the first side to beat the Titans at their Robina fortress this season.

Especially worried should be young half Daniel Mortimer.

Prince has been keeping a close eye on the Eels rookie for the past few rounds and is not about to be shown up two weeks straight.

"He is playing confidently," said Prince. "Especially the last two weeks. He is one of those guys that plays off instinct.

"When a young kid is confident they are dangerous."

Used to being the centre of the Titans universe during the club's first two seasons, Prince has taken on a slightly different role this year.

With Preston Campbell and Nathan Friend taking on more playmaking responsibility in an attempt to alleviate pressure on the clever halfback and add more dimensions to their attack, Prince has had to adjust.

The dominance Prince enjoyed in 2007 and 2008 has largely been diluted by his own side. But with the Titans sitting third on the NRL ladder and just three wins from qualifying for their maiden finals series, Prince can see the merit in the club's new approach.

"I feel like after the games that I haven't done enough," he said.

"But we always get the win in those games.

"Carty and the coaching staff really worked hard in the pre-season to give everyone across the park the responsibility, if they see something, to play what they see.

"I think it has been working for us. "We have now got a number of guys that will take the ball and have a go.

"I guess it would be hard for a defensive team now to pick who is going to get the ball at certain times.

"Instead of looking towards me to do something now, we have got Preston and even Nathan Friend doing a lot more stuff with the ball.

"It helps with Nathan playing well. When he is running it gets the markers thinking.

"They have to watch him now so it obviously helps."

If the Titans beat the Eels, it will be the first time they have won more than 10 games in a season.

It will also equal the winning record of the most successful Gold Coast side, the Chargers, who qualified for the 1997 finals series after finishing the season with 11 wins.

With the finals fast approaching, the Titans are aware they must start stamping themselves as a team to be feared and would love to start racking up some big scores.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Zillman ready to fill spot if Campbell fails test

TITANS attacking weapon William Zillman is poised to start at fullback against Parramatta at Skilled Park tonight, with veteran No.1 Preston Campbell in doubt.

Sick with the flu, Campbell failed to train yesterday and is considered a 50-50 chance to take the field as the Titans look to rebound following last week's disappointing loss to Canberra.

With the Titans having to back up against the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, medical staff will take the short turnaround into account when deciding today if Campbell should play.

"(The Bulldogs game) definitely comes into play," said Titans coach John Cartwright. "First things first, we definitely want to win against Parramatta and if he is 100 per cent fit, we will play him.

"If he is not we would be silly to put him out there and expect him to back up against the Dogs."

If Campbell is out, Zillman will slot straight into fullback, with impressive young winger David Mead coming on to the interchange bench.

Mead has been a revelation for the Titans since making his debut in Round 13 against the Dragons, scoring four tries in three games.

The emergence of Mead has played a part in the club's decision not to increase its offer for off-contract winger Chris Walker.

Contract negotiations between Walker and the Titans are now finished.

The former Queensland representative will move on from the Gold Coast next year, most likely to the Celtic Crusaders in the UK, where it is understood he has been offered a deal worth nearly $300,000 a season.

Cartwright said Walker's decision would not impact on his short-term playing future.

"You have to be professional about it," he said.

"Chris has been fantastic for us all year and it would have been nice if we could have kept him.

"But he has decided to move on. The side will be picked on form."

The possible loss of Campbell sours the return of star trio Mark Minichiello (ankle), Mat Rogers (ribs) and Luke Bailey (arm) from lengthy layoffs with injury.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

So whenever MEad is put on the bench, does that mean Walker will slot into centre with Mead going to wing?

just read on the coruoir mail that campbell out, zillman fullback n mead to bench

Campbell struck out by flu

Luke Turgeon

July 13th, 2009

GOLD Coast Titans fullback Preston Campbell has been ruled out of tonight's match against the Paramatta Eels at Skilled Park due to the flu.

Campbell was given every opportunity to prove his fitness before medical staff decided he was not well enough to play.

Campbell is expected to be right to take on the Bulldogs on Friday at Suncorp Stadium.

William Zillman will start in place of Campbell against the Eels, with rising star David Mead coming onto the interchange bench.

Tonight's game kicks off at 7pm.

We won and got over the 10 win hoodoo but it was not an enjoyable night at the footy.

For the last 65mins of that match we were woeful and when the game was there to be won at 14 - 12 Parramatta had contral of the ruck and seemed to have loads more enthusiasm for the contest.

Won't say anything about Rogers' kick

Class got us home in the end, something that Parramatta have VERY little of.

All I can hope is that guys returning from injury like Bull and Rogers will be better for the run and show a bit more next week.

Mini did not look great at the end there with a big ice-pack strapped to his knee either although he was one of our best early on.

If good teams can bring out the best in you then I suppose that a bad team can bring out the worst. I was feeling much more down about that win tonight (says a lot about my expectations of the team this year...) until I saw the table. We are up there and the boysw should have no worries getting 'up' for the Dogs.

The stats show how bad we were:

• We made 113 hit ups for 944m (7.1 m/run) to Parra's 89 for 733 (8.3 m/run).
    • We allowed them to make a staggering 21 offloads to our 7.
    • Conceded 5 penalties to 2 (I actually thought the ref's had a good game tonight which is rare...)
    • Missed 36 tackles to Parra's 23.
    • Only made 3 linebreaks to Parra's 6.

Geez we were lucky to win this one. It really was just that bit of class that got us home...

I had Bailey to score first and Titans to win by 13+. It would have gotten my just over $500. It was looking pretty good for a little bit there.

Quote Originally Posted by amaline View Post
    I had Bailey to score first and Titans to win by 13+. It would have gotten my just over $500. It was looking pretty good for a little bit there.
    So was the team. I was thinking 80-0 when we were up by 14 after 14.

Crap performance
    crap visiting team
    crap crowd
    crap refereeing
    crap being made to go to a football game on a monday night
    crap train trip home

we got the 2 points though,thats all that matters so a job done and lets move onto Friday

Goodnight
    Last edited by Paul; 13-07-09 at 10:06 PM.

i been thinking this for a while
    but anyone else rkn zillman isnt as quick as he was/ppl made him out to be?
    when i think of luke burt, speed dont really come into it
    and i noticed when he has made breaks he always get's chased down.

I got a photo of Eric Grothe after the game.