Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    meyers back to the front row?
    Sam Tagataese > graham lol

just a though,
    walker to centre, delaney to 2nd row and bring mead on the wing?
    Not a bad idea, but I think too much shuffling around would be counter-productive.

We are about to find out how many injuries the Titans can take. If they can get up this week then thats a mighty effort. I wouldnt be suprised if they lost which i of course hope they dont but maybe the injuries have finally gotten to us. The Eels better watch out next week at Skilled Park when the Titans get a host of stars back
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

Definitely the defensive structure will be under pressure with so many of the backup forwards playing. It will be a mighty win if we can pull it off.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    meyers back to the front row?
    Sam Tagataese > graham lol

just a though,
    walker to centre, delaney to 2nd row and bring mead on the wing?
    Walker to centre, Mead wing and Delaney second row isn't a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Big boy Bodene gets nod for hit-and-run raid on Canberra

A GROUP of unheralded Titans has been given the opportunity to break a 100-point hoodoo in Canberra and deliver the Gold Coast a history-making first win in the nation's capital on Sunday.

Rookies Bodene Thompson and Sam Tagataese have been called up to join the side.

The club's injury tally will give golden opportunities to regular benchwarmers and those who have been battling it out in Queensland Cup for a position in the top team.

The Titans trail 102-14 in two matches played at Canberra Stadium.

Star Mat Rogers (ribs) and forward Aaron Cannings (hamstring) were added to a long injury list yesterday.

But Titans coach John Cartwright is excited to give players an opportunity, declaring his young charges would not be intimidated.

"I'm looking forward to these fellas going down there; the squad see it as a test of where we are at," he said. "We've been towelled up twice down there.

"We've come away with a few firsts this season though."

In a shake-up similar to the one before last week's win over the Warriors, Will Zillman will be elevated from the bench to fullback and Preston Campbell will move to five-eighth.

Thompson and Tagataese will join the bench.

Tagataese is 18th man but could make his Titans debut, with Cartwright toying with the idea of playing four forwards on the bench.

Thompson is another graduate of last year's Titans' under-20s side, and made his debut earlier this year.

He is an aggressive big bopper with slick footwork.

Tagataese is a signing from the Melbourne Storm and is yet to play for his new club because of injuries.

The backrower is a strong ballrunner who has experience in the backline.

Cartwright said contingency plans had worked out well this year, but admitted things were getting thin.

"One goes down and we bring another up, but things are starting to get a bit skinny," said Cartwright.

Campbell said he had faith in the new make-up.

"Times like this last year we would have got smashed up," said Campbell.

"But there's a different feel to the club this year ... hopefully we can go down there with the same attitude.

"It's sort of working for us at the moment, we're getting to know each other's game."

Cartwright said Rogers' ribs were not 100 per cent. "Rogers is just not quite right to take him on the road," he said.

"We really want to go in as close to 100 per cent fit as we can, so he'll miss the boat.

"Cannings has got a hamstring tear so he'll be out for a couple of weeks."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I would love to see 4 forwards on the bench, I think we will need to power to out muscle the Raiders. We also have plenty of versatile blokes and Tags can slot in if needed. We don't lack speed and skill and it exists in concerntrated forms with many of our players, but we need the size and power out there.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

great to see tagatese get into the squad althoug he is 18th man, he must be fit because he hasnt played queensland cup for quiet a while, where is graham going to play?

From what I have read Graham is going to start at lock. He was a regular part of our best 13 last year and I have plenty of faith in his ability to do the sort of job that O'Dwyer has been doing so well.

This pushes Conn back to the bench which I think is a good call as he can come on and give us some punch off the bench - something Graham would be incapable of. He will be a lot better for the run last week.

An how bout that last article Diehard put up. How many 'hoodoos' can the bloody Bulletin journalists come up with??? The trip to Canberra is a 100 point hoodoo. Give me a break!!

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    From what I have read Graham is going to start at lock. He was a regular part of our best 13 last year and I have plenty of faith in his ability to do the sort of job that O'Dwyer has been doing so well.

This pushes Conn back to the bench which I think is a good call as he can come on and give us some punch off the bench - something Graham would be incapable of. He will be a lot better for the run last week.

An how bout that last article Diehard put up. How many 'hoodoos' can the bloody Bulletin journalists come up with??? The trip to Canberra is a 100 point hoodoo. Give me a break!!
    Ithink you'll find conn to second row meyers to prop White to the bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Canberra v Gold Coast
    Sunday, Canberra Stadium, 2pm

Referees: Gavin Badger, Chris James
    Head to head: Titans 3, Raiders 2
    Last clash: Titans 16 bt Raiders 10 at Skilled Park (Rd 6, 2009)
    TAB Sportsbet: Raiders $1.50, Titans $2.50
    FootyTAB: Titans +5.5 points

The Titans, at their third attempt, will try to record their first win in Canberra. These two teams have clashed five times, and each game has been won by the home team. The two games in Canberra have seen massive wins by the Raiders - 56-10 in 2007 and 46-4 last year. It should be noted that each of those two wins came in the second half of the season, when the Titans folded due to injuries and a lack of quality depth in each of their first two years, but it is a challenge for any opposition to beat the Raiders in Canberra, particularly in the middle of winter, and the Titans - venturing down from the warmer climate of the Gold Coast - still have to get over that hump.

The Titans have had a few injury concerns recently, but have responded better to such problems than they did last year and in 2007. Last weekend, they won 28-12 at home against the Warriors, despite Luke Bailey, Ashley Harrison, Mark Minichiello, Mat Rogers and Chris Walker all being out. Rogers and Walker have been named for returns here, but they are still without Bailey, Harrison and Minichiello and that is half their starting forward pack against a big, strong Canberra pack that will sense an opportunity to get on top up front. Plus, the Raiders have named four more forwards on the bench, so it is clear where they intend to try to estabish an advantage.

The Raiders scored a well-deserved, 26-16 win at home against the Storm last weekend. The Titans are running third and the Raiders 13th, but because of that feared home-ground advantage and the fact the Raiders are very close to full strength the bookmakers have put the Raiders up as clear favourites.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

What passes for a feared home-ground advantage these days?

Would it be the Gold Coast at our Fortress, Skilled Park with 7 wins, no defeats?

Or the Canberra Raiders who have lost 4 games out of 7 home games?

graham does play better for us when he starts i feel
    with so many injurys, its still a strong side tbh.
    ill go in with 4 forwards
    mead can really only replace another winger/centre which i wouldnt do anyway

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans v Canberra Raiders preview.

Raiders stars Alan Tongue and rookie Raiders centre Jarrod Croker along with Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright and fullback William Zillman preview Sundays NRL clash at Canberra Stadium.

The thirteenth placed Raiders are desperate for the Premiership points as they continue their late season charge, while the Titans are determined to maintain their place at the top of the points table.

Click on the link below to watch this special preview.

http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Titans/190275

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Campese gets tip from rival skipper

Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince has given rival playmaker Terry Campese some unlikely advice ahead of tomorrow's clash at Canberra Stadium, urging the Raiders five-eighth to forget his NSW axing.
    Tomorrow's game presents Campese and teammates Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Joel Monaghan and Alan Tongue with their last chance to impress NSW selectors ahead of Monday's team announcement.

All four are in the running to represent the Blues in the Origin III dead rubber at Suncorp Stadium on July15, while Raiders prop David Shillington is almost certain to be selected for Queensland this week.

Cronulla's Trent Barrett remains favourite to retain the Blues five-eighth jersey, after replacing Campese following Origin I.

But Campese will boost his chances if he leads the Raiders to their second win over a top-four team in a week.

Prince has experienced his fair share of representative disappointment.

The brilliant Titans halfback has been stuck behind the world's best No7, Johnathan Thurston, at both state and national level for years.

He urged Campese to forget NSW selection and focus on what he does best leading the Raiders around the field.

''All I can say is that I've been in a similar position before and my advice to him is just to keep working hard, keep playing good footy and the opportunities will come,'' Prince said. ''When they do come he's just got to take them with both hands and make the most of them.

''I think it's great that he was rewarded for a great year last year by getting selected for Australia and for NSW.

''Now he has to keep working hard.''

Campese and Prince played alongside each other against Papua New Guinea during Australia's failed World Cup campaign.

The Titans skipper said he had congratulated Campese via text message when he was selected for Origin I.

While Prince empathises with Campese's axing, his focus this weekend is on engineering the Raiders' downfall.

The Titans are in the middle of an injury crisis, with key players Mat Rogers (ribs), Luke Bailey (broken arm), Ashley Harrison (ribs), Mark Minichiello (ankle), Luke O'Dwyer (ankle) and Aaron Cannings (hamstring) all unavailable.

It's a similar predicament to the Titans' first two years in the NRL, when promising seasons were de-railed by injuries to key players.

Prince said the difference this year was the Titans had the depth to cover injury.

''It's just same old story to the last couple of years, but I think we're a bit more equipped this year,'' he said. ''The last two years we've had to throw guys in the deep end, whereas I think this year those guys that are coming in have been in this position before. They're well aware of what's required to play NRL football now and the guys and myself personally have got no doubts about the guys stepping in and taking the challenge up.''

Prince said former Raider William Zillman was a perfect example of the Titans' renewed depth.

Zillman will start at fullback tomorrow, having been primarily used as a bench utility this season.

''It's great to have Zilly in the squad,'' Prince said. ''He's not only a fine footballer, he's a great athlete.

''He can fill any number of positions.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au

Well I am about to head off to the Nation's Capital for the first time since I was a wee boy. I am looking forward to it, adding another rugby league stadium to my list that I have not attended.

I am full of confidence for our team tomorrow. While we are ravaged by short term injury, I believe we have the dpth and quality to put together a great team on the field.

Really looking forward to seeing our southern based Titans fans and also Helen and Cam who are headed down as well!