Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Mathews had a pretty poor game on Saturday night - highlighted by some dropped ball and a couple of missed tackles, one of which led to the try in Delaney's corner in the second half.

With what is looking a severely depleted looking forward pack this week he will need to stand up and be counted.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    With what is looking a severely depleted looking forward pack this week he will need to stand up and be counted.
    Yea and against one of the most agressive in the league.

Fox Sports News is reporting that Rogers is out injured.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Yea and against one of the most agressive in the league.

Fox Sports News is reporting that Rogers is out injured.
    As much as I like Rogers, this probably isn't a bad thing. It moves Zillman into the starting side, leaving a spot for another forward. If Preston and Zillman can play like they did last weekend, I don't think we'd be losing much without Rogers.

Zillman was surperb last week. I remember when he was warming up in front of us, catching bombs. And I called out "You are gonna have the best game of the year Zill, I can feel it." Just a bit of fun, but I'll stake credit.

In fact Zillman is growing to be my favourite player, so I'd love to see him play 80mins.

In all seriousness we are lucky to be able to weather such a high key withdrawl with another backline switcheroo. Friend, Preston and Zillman were dynamite last week.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

In fact Zillman is growing to be my favourite player, so I'd love to see him play 80mins.
    If Rogers is in any doubt don't risk him at all & let Zillman play another 80minutes especially against his old club , he was superb last week
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    If Rogers is in any doubt don't risk him at all & let Zillman play another 80minutes especially against his old club , he was superb last week
    True that Pete. He is fire to fire against his old club and the Raiders fans will let him know about it. Just another bit of theatre for the game.

Raiders v Titans
    Canberra Stadium Sunday 2pm

Who would?ve thought just a few weeks ago this could be billed as one of the matches of the round? But finally the Raiders have returned to form after a shock victory against the Storm last weekend with their season on the line, and this week they take on the all-conquering Titans.

John Cartwright?s men have resisted the halfway fall from grace that plagued them during the past two seasons and they sit pretty near the top of the table. This clash is sure to be dramatic and entertaining, especially seeing as though any imbalance between the line-ups will surely be offset by the fact the Titans may struggle to deal with Canberra?s expected chilly afternoon.

Watch out Raiders: The Titans have recorded four wins on the trot and have done so without the services of Luke Bailey, Mat Rogers, Mark Minichiello and Ashley Harrison in various matches. Quite simply they?re on fire after recent victories over the Warriors, Roosters, Dragons and Sea Eagles.

The Raiders have plenty to be wary of ? including influential duo Preston Campbell and Scott Prince. Campbell (seven line breaks, seven line-break assists, 10 try assists and two tries) has been electric as always while Prince (four line breaks, seven line-break assists, three tries, and nine try assists) continues to effectively marshal his troops. Coupled with the second row of Laffranchi (1630 metres at an average of 125 per game) and Meyers (four line breaks and three tries) and it?s an effective team across the park. The Raiders had better muscle up.

Watch out Titans: The Raiders? last-start victory against Melbourne 26-16 came on the back of some very effective play from their outside backs, especially Joel Monaghan and Justin Carney. Monaghan in particular is effective when a high ball is put up so the Titans should expect plenty of bombs-away moments ? and the Raiders will be looking to exploit their bomb defusal rate of just 65 per cent.

Monaghan has been very strong this season (eight line breaks, two line-break assists, seven tries and two try assists) while Carney (four line breaks and seven tries) has continued to be strong whilst benefitting from his inside man. Dumped NSW five-eighth Terry Campese (five line breaks, 10 line-break assists, 16 try assists and two tries) has given good ball to the players outside him, as has rising half Marc Herbert (two line breaks, nine line-break assists, nine try assists and one try). Prop David Shillington (1399 metres for an average of 117 per game) could be labelled ?buy of the year?.

Where it will be won: The prop-forward battle between Raiders Shillingon, partner Troy Thompson (607 metres at an average of 67 in just nine games) and Josh Miller (1373 metres at an average of 98 metres per game) and Titans props Matthew White (568 metres at an average of 63 per game), Michael Henderson (961 metres at an average of 87 per game) and Aaron Cannings (650 metres at an average of 65 per game) will be crucial.

These big boppers patrolling the middle of the field are in charge of getting their team over the advantage line to provide room for their halves to initiate plays. Whoever gets the dominance in the middle of the ruck should win.

The history: Played 5; Titans 3, Raiders 2. The Titans won the only clash so far this season, defeating the Raiders 16-10 at Skilled Park. Last year the honours were shared with the Raiders smashing the Gold Coast in Canberra 46-4 before being smashed themselves 28-8 on the Coast.

Conclusion: It?s a big match for both teams, with the Titans aiming to continue their winning streak, but the stakes are highest for the home side. Expect their big men to get on top early and provide room for Campese, Monaghan and co. to work their magic.

After a strong victory over last year?s grand-finalists, it?s time the Raiders chalked up another victory ? and the home ground advantage should prove significant.

Match officials: Referees ? Gavin Badger and Chris James; Sideline Officials ? Steve Chiddy and Adam Reid; Video Ref ? Chris Ward.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live from 2pm.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

I can't believe we are such underdogs. All the reviews, all the panel on NRL on FOX and the TAB. I mean it doesn't bother us, but damn.

Raiders clash a test of toughness: Cartwright
    Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says the loss of a handful of players to injury has provided his side with the perfect chance to test their toughness in Sunday’s clash against Canberra.

Already without the services of several senior players, the Titans have again been forced to make late changes with five-eighth Mat Rogers (rib) and interchange prop Aaron Cannings (hamstring) both ruled out through injury.

While all of the injured brigade are set to return to the paddock in the coming weeks, Cartwright said the remainder of the squad was eager to test themselves in tough conditions against the Raiders in Canberra.

“You can go down to Canberra and have your best possible side and come back black and blue with a bad result,’’ said Cartwright.

“So I’m looking forward to these fellas going down there and the squad is too.

“They see it as test to see where we’re at with a lot of big games coming up in front of us – we’ve got the Dogs, Broncos and Cowboys all too play.

“I think it’s going to be a real benefit to us to go down there in tough conditions and come back with a result.’’

With Rogers again succumbing to a rib injury, livewire Preston Campbell will line-up at five-eighth with William Zillman moving to fullback for the third consecutive match.

In the absence of Cannings, rookie forward Bodene Thompson has been promoted into an 18-man squad to travel to Canberra on Saturday.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 02-07-09 at 03:10 PM.

So Henderson is definitely playing this game? So we're looking at a bench of Matthews, Graham, Thompson and Mead?

Quote Originally Posted by amaline View Post
    So Henderson is definitely playing this game? So we're looking at a bench of Matthews, Graham, Thompson and Mead?
    It looks that way, so the team will be:

1. William Zillman
    2. Kevin Gordon
    3. Esi Tonga
    4. Brett Delaney
    5. Chris Walker
    6. Preston Campbell
    7. Scott Prince (c)
    8. Matt White
    9. Nathan Friend
    10. Michael Henderson
    11. Anthony Laffranchi
    12. Brad Meyers
    13. Daniel Conn

14. Bodene Thompson
    15. Will Matthews
    16. Josh Graham
    17. David Mead

I think we would be better off carrying another forward on the bench to play the Raiders instead of Mead. I read the post match QRL reports for the Tweed games and Brock Hunters name gets mentioned for strong performance now and then, may be worth giving him a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

I can't believe we are such underdogs. All the reviews, all the panel on NRL on FOX and the TAB. I mean it doesn't bother us, but damn.
    Flying under the radar is great but i think we are starting to get noticed from a few people , i listen to Talkin Sport most days & Graeme Hughes has warmed to the Titans & is his dark horse to give the comp a huge shake
    #itaintweaktospeak

TITANS star Mat Rogers and forward Aaron Cannings have both been ruled out of Sunday's clash against the Canberra Raiders.

Coach John Cartwright this morning confirmed Rogers had succumbed to a rib injury while Cannings tore a hamstring in training yesterday.

Young guns Bodene Thompson and David Mead and have been called onto the bench while Sam Tagataese is 18th man.

William Zillman will move to fullback, Preston Campbell to five-eighth and Josh Graham moves into the starting side.

The Titans will face the Raiders at 2pm on Sunday, they have never beaten Canberra in the nation?s capital.

off the goldcoast.com.au website

think i would have preffered another forward eg Vave or Hunter but still a decent side considering the circumstances

Life isnt about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself!

Ouch more out is not good, especially for combination's in defense.

Backs looking good, we are light in the front row.

Hope Henderson takes control again as he did against the Warriors, he was fantastic. Him and Myers are going to have to have big games.

Mathews needs to understand ball control at the top level, enough of the stupid handling errors, you are allowed to be tackled with the football.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

meyers back to the front row?
    Sam Tagataese > graham lol

just a though,
    walker to centre, delaney to 2nd row and bring mead on the wing?