Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Round 17: Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast Titans

Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast Titans

Last edited by DIEHARD; 29-06-09 at 11:55 AM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I have just moved the Raiders vs Titans discussion thread across so we can talk up this big match. It would be great to go to the Capital and smash them. Over the last two years we have gone to the ACT injured hit and gotten smacked. But this year will be different, but no easy task as the Raiders are on a rise led by Campese.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I remember the Titans first game in Canberra, they put 50 past us and we were destroyed. But its different this year, we are mentally tougher and can take the challenge. I really hope the titans can pull off a win in the capital but it certaintly wont be easy after they are full of confidence from beating the Storm. Even the last encounter with themwas down to the last second when Rogers crossed the line.

Titans by 2
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

This will be a tough game but very winable. Particularly since Canberra had such a good win against Storm. They will be coming of a huge high and ripe for the picking at home.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    This will be a tough game but very winable. Particularly since Canberra had such a good win against Storm. They will be coming of a huge high and ripe for the picking at home.
    That and at least they aren't unveiling a Mal Meninga statue next weekend.

I'll be there for the game, last time I got stuck around a particularly obnoxious bunch of Raiders fans when we got drilled by 50pts.

I'd rather sit with fellow Titans fans, any idea which bay the majority of Titans fans will be sitting (if there is a traditional section for away fans at Canberra Stadium).

Cheers

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Canberra_Titan View Post
    I'll be there for the game, last time I got stuck around a particularly obnoxious bunch of Raiders fans when we got drilled by 50pts.

I'd rather sit with fellow Titans fans, any idea which bay the majority of Titans fans will be sitting (if there is a traditional section for away fans at Canberra Stadium).

Cheers

Mick
    G'day Mick, this is the email our Southern Legion co-ordinator Syl aka BringBackWillie just sent out.

Canberra trip: Titans v Raiders (Sunday, 5 July)‏

Hi everyone

Members of the Southern Legion will be heading down to Canberra for the Titans v Raiders clash this Sunday, 5 July.

Kickoff is at 2pm.

If you are going to join us, we will be in the Northern Terraces. Look out for the flags and Enter the Titans banner.

Helen and Cam from QLD, whom some of you met when they joined us at the Roosters v Titans SFS game a couple of years ago will be joining us.

See you there as the boys continue the road to the finals and a GREAT chance of a Top 4 finish!

Sylve
    I hope to see you there Mick!

Titans face round-17 moment of truth

Surprise NRL frontrunners Gold Coast can swiftly prove they're the real deal on two fronts by overcoming their mid-season moment of truth at the club's Canberra graveyard.

Round 17 has been the start of the end for the fledgling Titans in their first two years and they will once again approach it with a severely-undermanned outfit at Canberra Stadium, the scene of two of their worst three losses.

John Cartwright's men were trounced 46-4 in 2008 and 56-10 in 2007 in the national capital amid late-season capitulations when the Titans won just two of their last 10 games.

Both years they were in the thick of the top-eight action come round 17 losses before fading badly as injuries and an inability to win on the road took their toll.

Cartwright on Monday admitted he will be missing close to half of his first-choice starting side for the chilly assignment.

Five-eighth Mat Rogers must pass a late-week fitness test but he appears the only injured player a possibility to return with Chris Walker on Sunday afternoon.

Co-captain Luke Bailey (arm), Ashley Harrison (ribs), Mark Minichiello (ankle) and Luke O'Dwyer (ankle) are all unavailable, while prop Michael Henderson (hand) is in doubt.

But the coach staunchly believed his team, joint leaders with the Bulldogs and Dragons, could continue to exorcise their demons due to more confidence and a better attitude.

The Titans have done well shaking two big monkeys in 2009, consistently winning away from their Skilled Park fortress and triumphing without playmaking captain Scott Prince.

Although the Raiders are once again riding high after a 26-16 upset of Melbourne, Cartwright said his own side's 28-12 win over the Warriors had them in a confident head space.

"You can't go down there with anything but that attitude, if you don't (Canberra) will get you," he said.

"The last couple of years we've been down on troops and our confidence down and got our tails kicked so it's nice to go down there with some sort of form and a different mood behind us.

"But it's really a tough ask down there and we'll be down on troops again - I don't think we'll get many back this week - so we'll be relying on a lot of the kids again."

Young wingers David Mead and Kevin Gordon were among the best against the Warriors, scoring four of their five tries.

The Titans took a "100 per cent" policy into the clash with the Kiwis and will do the same for Canberra.

"The Raiders are a very similar side, a very physical, big side and it's not the type of conditions where you can carry an injury into the game," Cartwright said.

"They're skilful, they've got pace and plenty of size and guys pushing for Origin (selection).

"They beat Melbourne on the weekend and their confidence is up so it's going to be a battle.

"They are (a different beast at home), they're used to the conditions down there and they like Sunday afternoons but it's all about us."

Source: http://www.nrl.com

The team that Cartwright names this afternoon will be very interesting. As will comparing the actual 17 that take the field against the Raiders.

I am hoping that Carty is playing a bit of 'ducks and drakes' with the media by saying that certain players are definite non-starters on a Monday. That is unlike hm to be so decisive so early.

The footage I saw on the news last night showed Bailey and Rogers training pretty strongly so I am going to hold out hope even if they are not named this afternoon.

LOL do we have to wait until 3 weeks after we win the GF before the mid season garbage articles will stop?

It seems every week for the last 6 weeks i have heard at some stage "Titans will be looking to win this weekend as this was the weekend there season fell to pieces last year"

Does anyone buy into this crap? This season is not even comparable, last year we didnt have a first grade player left, and we had used nearly all our home games, we were always going to struggle, and we did.

This year we have 5 home games, plus a Suncorp game, by next week nearly a full roster, and players bashing the door down for a spot. We have played all the top teams, and beaten them, and should finish with no less than 36 points IMO.

A top 4 spot, i think 3rd, and a home final, after 1 of the top teams lose, and we win our first final at home, we get the week off, and then win the next week to play the Cowboys in the Grand Final, they will move it to Suncorp and we shall win a tight game, with Friend MOM, and celebrate like 12 year olds on high doses of red cordial for months.

Its all so clear!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

That's the media for you though. 2009 really is a very different year for the Gold Coast. I don't mind being an underdog though, works for Queensland.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    This year we have 5 home games, plus a Suncorp game, by next week nearly a full roster, and players bashing the door down for a spot. We have played all the top teams, and beaten them, and should finish with no less than 36 points IMO.

A top 4 spot, i think 3rd, and a home final, after 1 of the top teams lose, and we win our first final at home, we get the week off, and then win the next week to play the Cowboys in the Grand Final, they will move it to Suncorp and we shall win a tight game, with Friend MOM, and celebrate like 12 year olds on high doses of red cordial for months.

Its all so clear!!
    How many clubs would kill to be in our position? Most of them I would say. Especially with the amount of home games an d that advantage we enjoy.

1. Preston Campbell
    2. Kevin Gordon
    3. Esi Tonga
    4. Brett Delaney
    5. Chris Walker
    6. Mat Rogers
    7. Scott Prince (c)
    8. Matt White
    9. Nathan Friend
    10. Michael Henderson
    11. Anthony Laffranchi
    12. Brad Meyers
    13. Daniel Conn

14. Aaron Cannings
    15. Will Matthews
    16. Josh Graham
    17. William Zillman
    18. David Mead
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Some surprises here. Chris holds his position and we welcome back The Rat Mat Rogers. And the courage of Hendo.

EDIT: Removed O'Dwyer, my mistake.

Walker, Rogers named to take on RaidersAdam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright has named flyer Chris Walker and five-eighth Mat Rogers to return for Sunday’s clash against the Raiders at Canberra Stadium.

Walker missed last Saturday night’s 28-12 win over the Warriors after suffering from a migraine in the lead-up while Rogers has been sidelined for the past two matches with a rib cartilage injury.

Prop Michael Henderson has also been named to play on Sunday despite sustaining a broken thumb in the win over the Warriors.

Walker returns in place of rookie winger David Mead, who scored two tries in only his second NRL appearance against the Warriors.

If Rogers is deemed fit to return, livewire Preston Campbell will move back to fullback with flyer William Zillman moving back to the bench.

The Titans, who currently share the competition lead with the Bulldogs and St George Illawarra, are searching for their first win over the Raiders in the nation’s capital.

To view Cartwright’s video announcement of the team to take on the Raiders, click on the link below

Round 17 team v Raiders

Source: http://www.titans.com.au
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 30-06-09 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Some surprises here. O'Dwyer is named, Chris holds his position and we welcome back The Rat Mat Rogers. And the courage of Hendo.
    Um did you watch the right team selection Sorry about that think that was my mistake. Copied and pasted old team and left him in above, fixed now.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Yea I read your post first then posted the article, then watched it. I thought it was too good to be true.