Default Preston Campbell re-signs for two years

Gold Coast Titans' Preston Campbell resigns for two years
    By Laine Clark | June 04, 2009 11:00am

RETIREMENT talk from playmaker Preston Campbell was music to the ears of Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle.

In fact, Searle reckoned he would have been concerned if Campbell was not considered pulling the pin following the Titans' pre-season program.

After beginning the year hinting that 2009 may be his last, Campbell appeared to complete a remarkable backflip when he recently declared he had "at least" two more seasons left in him.

That wish has been granted with a two-year contract extension all but finalised for the diminutive fullback.
    http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html

Also, there is a rumour floating around on another forum that we are after Maurice Blair from Penrith. Any thoughts on him?

Quote Originally Posted by amaline View Post

Also, there is a rumour floating around on another forum that we are after Maurice Blair from Penrith. Any thoughts on him?
    Unless we're losing more than just Delaney the money can be better used elsewhere.

This is fantastic news! We are going to have Preston with us for another 13 rounds plus finals plus Grand Final and another 2 years!

I am so glad we have our old Charger with us for a little longer, his form this year has been awesome.

I'm not sure about the rumour re: Maurice Blair. Maybe Steve our resident Panther can comment. In the past he has always been great letting us know about the Panthers coming through.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Why Presto keeps getting better -- it's the Wally factor says Searle

RETIREMENT talk from playmaker Preston Campbell was music to the ears of Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle.

In fact, Searle reckoned he would have been concerned if Campbell was not considered pulling the pin following the Titans' pre-season program.

After beginning the year hinting that 2009 may be his last, Campbell appeared to complete a remarkable backflip when he recently declared he had `at least' two more seasons left in him.

That wish has been granted with a two-year contract extension all but finalised for the diminutive fullback.

But Searle could see Campbell's dramatic change of heart coming a mile off.

"I have found that retirement messages from players at the start of the season just reflects that they have had an intense off-season, and mentally they are fatigued," said Searle.

"If you have a guy at that age who isn't saying that, the off-season has been too soft -- that's my view."

Searle's gut feeling was spot on.

Campbell, who turns 32 on Sunday, has turned back the clock in 2009, showing vintage form to help keep the Gold Coast in sight of a finals debut.

"Preston is an enigma," said Searle.

"He continues to improve as he gets older.

"He is a bit like Wally Lewis, he reads the game.

"And Preston is becoming a better reader of the game."

Once he puts pen to paper, Campbell will have committed himself to the Titans until the age of 34, just like co-captain and halfback Scott Prince.

But Searle had no fears that the Titans would be 'running on old legs' in the future.

"The game has sped up, the small man is back in the game," he said.

"And to be honest this theory that at 30 you are out, I find that ridiculous."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I am really happy with our club's policy on age. I think it is BS that there is this perception that players are past it when they are only 30 years old.

I also think having so many older bloke's in our club helps build real leadership and club culture.

Please continue this policy Titans, even when our juniors filter through.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

An excellent re-signing.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I am really happy with our club's policy on age. I think it is BS that there is this perception that players are past it when they are only 30 years old.

I also think having so many older bloke's in our club helps build real leadership and club culture.

Please continue this policy Titans, even when our juniors filter through.
    If any position on the field is gonna restrict longevity - it'd be the blokes up front running into each other 50 times per game.
    With Civo & Price edging closer to 35 and still dominating the game - that makes any bloke who questions age look like a fool.
    If those two can maintain their physical condition at this age, theres no reason why backs like Lockyer, Preston and Prince can't play on even further.......
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-06-09 at 02:04 PM.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    If any position on the field is gonna restrict longevity - it'd be the blokes up front running into each other 50 times per game.
    With Civo & Price edging closer to 35 and still dominating the game - that makes any bloke who questions age look like a fool.
    If those two can maintain their physical condition at this age, theres no reason why backs like Lockyer, Preston and Prince can't play on even further.......
    Yea totally. It's a massive credit to those guys, still giving it to them and taking names in State of Origin.

Halves have it a lot easier and they can change their game to better suit their age. But IMO good passing and kicking along with leadership and vision on the field, well that doesn't fade.

Maurice Blair has been playing alot of games in the NSW Cup for Windsor. Not sure on form but he seems to be a fringe player at best.

He is a Queenslander born in Marybourough. He is 24-25 and played for Souths Logan as a five eight and Centre.

blair had a good run of form halfway during last season, i think he can play anywhere(centre 5/8 back row)
    do u guys see campbell keeping his fullback spot or do u rkn we will see him coming of the bench? or if we loose delaney 5/8 for rogers who moves back?

Great to see Presto is gonna be around for a while yet.

As for Blair, remember Elliott has been the coach so being a fringe player under him doesn't make him a bad player. I think he's more of a centre, but they've played him a lot at 5/8. He went very well in the last game I saw.

Would I sign him?
    Tonga, Mead, Gordon, Zillman, Walker, White, whoever else we have coming through. No, I wouldn't. Not unless we're losing a lot of these guys.