Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Coops is out for this weekend's game against the Panthers. Maybe it might be out for a 2nd? Miss the game against the Titans? It would be a big blow to the Dragons.

COOPER RULED OUT OF PANTHERS MATCH

Dragons centre Matt Cooper has today been ruled out of the clash against the Panthers at WIN Stadium tomorrow night.

Cooper will be sidelined with a calf injury that is expected to only keep him sidelined for this week.

Coach Wayne Bennett has yet to name a replacement and a decision will be made on game day in relation to the make up of the side.

Source: http://www.dragons.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

The 9 day turnaround will be in his favour so if they say 1 week you would expect him to front.

I agree with what you say about the bye Diehard and the interest that it creates for fans. I went around to my Dads for tea and we did up a table after this current round based on who we think will win. I will cut the whole thing short but we came up with this:

Assuming that the Dragons beat the Panthers (they are favourites but it is less probable now that Cooper is out) and the Dogs beat the Gidley-less Knights the table will look like this:

1. Dogs - 18 (1 bye)
    2. Dragons - 18 (0 byes)
    3. Broncos - 18 (1 bye)
    4. TITANS - 16 (1 bye)
    5. Storm - 15 (1 bye)
    6. Rabbits - 15 (1 bye)
    7. Panthers - 14 (1 bye)
    8. Nth QLD - 14 (1 bye)

The Warriors and the Eels are likely to be next down on 11 points and it looks like it is going to be really tough for anyone from position 10 down to qualify for the finals.

So... Titans v Dragons looks set to be a 2nd v 4th blockbuster. On a freakin' Monday. Hopefully the combination of the public holiday, the slightly earlier 7pm start and the lack of free-to-air coverage will see this game get the coverage it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    The 9 day turnaround will be in his favour so if they say 1 week you would expect him to front.

I agree with what you say about the bye Diehard and the interest that it creates for fans. I went around to my Dads for tea and we did up a table after this current round based on who we think will win. I will cut the whole thing short but we came up with this:

Assuming that the Dragons beat the Panthers (they are favourites but it is less probable now that Cooper is out) and the Dogs beat the Gidley-less Knights the table will look like this:

1. Dogs - 18 (1 bye)
    2. Dragons - 18 (0 byes)
    3. Broncos - 18 (1 bye)
    4. TITANS - 16 (1 bye)
    5. Storm - 15 (1 bye)
    6. Rabbits - 15 (1 bye)
    7. Panthers - 14 (1 bye)
    8. Nth QLD - 14 (1 bye)

The Warriors and the Eels are likely to be next down on 11 points and it looks like it is going to be really tough for anyone from position 10 down to qualify for the finals.

So... Titans v Dragons looks set to be a 2nd v 4th blockbuster. On a freakin' Monday. Hopefully the combination of the public holiday, the slightly earlier 7pm start and the lack of free-to-air coverage will see this game get the coverage it deserves.
    Well as usual my tipping was no good with the both the Dogs and the Bunnies getting rolled. What these results do create, for the first time this year is a clear gap between the top and the bottom 8.

1 Dragons 12 9 3 18
    2 Broncos 11 8 3 18
    3 Bulldogs 11 8 3 16
    4 Knights 12 8 4 16
    5 Titans 11 7 4 16
    6 Storm 11 6 4 15
    7 Cowboys 11 6 5 14
    8 Panthers 11 6 5 14
    12 Raiders 11 4 7 10
    13 Tigers 11 4 7 10
    14 Eels 11 3 7 9
    15 Roosters 11 3 8 8
    16 Sharks 11 2 9 6

The Eels, Roosters and Sharks are gone and we are yet to play ANY of those teams. Infact we have not played any of the bottom 4. That looks like a pretty good position for us to be in except when you look deeper you find that we only play each of the bottom 4 teams once. That is offset to a certain degree by the fact that we play 3 of those teams (Sharks, Tigers, Eels) at home and the 4th (Roosters) at a neutral venue but it still would have been nice to get at least one of those bottom 3 strugglers twice.

By way of comparison Brisbane are 2 points ahead of us on the table but they have already had games against the Tigers, Roosters (admittedly both away) and the Eels at home.

While games like this week against St George are important I think these 4 games identified here against the bottam 25% of the comp are the 'must-win' games. It would also be handy to pump a bit into the 'for' column with places in the 8 almost certain to come down to for and against.

I agree Karnage, I also went pants over the weekend tipping wise. I dropped Parra, Bulldogs and Bunnies!

But the results does spread out the field a bit more. You are right, we have to win the games against the lower ranked team, dropping one or two could really burn us.

Also in our draw, we only play the Roosters or Sharks once.

BTW Karnage I love your contribution to the Titans forum, it is always informative and insightful.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

The Titans team to take on the Dragons has been announced on Titans TV!

http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Titans

Chris Walker named to start.

Good to see Cannings named as the #14 interchange player as that should mean he will be given a run, he gives some size to the pack that we really have lacked lately, especially with Meyers named to replace Mini.

There are 2 things I am hoping for tomorrow and each is equally important to me:
    1. QLD win.
    2. None of our boys pick up serious injuries. Fingers crossed, touchwood etc.

Good to see Cannings named as the #14 interchange player as that should mean he will be given a run, he gives some size to the pack that we really have lacked lately, especially with Meyers named to replace Mini.

There are 2 things I am hoping for tomorrow and each is equally important to me:
    1. QLD win.
    1. BLUES win.
    #itaintweaktospeak

1 Dragons 12 9 3 18
    2 Broncos 11 8 3 18
    3 Bulldogs 11 8 3 16
    4 Knights 12 8 4 16
    5 Titans 11 7 4 16
    6 Storm 11 6 4 15
    7 Cowboys 11 6 5 14
    8 Panthers 11 6 5 14
    12 Raiders 11 4 7 10
    13 Tigers 11 4 7 10
    14 Eels 11 3 7 9
    15 Roosters 11 3 8 8
    16 Sharks 11 2 9 6

The Eels, Roosters and Sharks are gone and we are yet to play ANY of those teams.

Does that mean, when the Sharks come to town, we can officially sing "43 years and nothing"

Really looking forward for this one, it'll be a real forwards battle and we need to make sure Soward doesn't get much field position to do us damage with his kicking game.

Quote Originally Posted by dee13 View Post
    Does that mean, when the Sharks come to town, we can officially sing "43 years and nothing"
    Yes it does.

You can take it officially from me that they are NO CHANCE!!

DRAGONS TEAM:

Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Beau Scott, Matt Cooper, Wendell Sailor, Jamie Soward, Ben Hornby (capt), Justin Poore, Luke Priddis, Michael Weyman, Dean Young, Ben Creagh, Neville Costigan. Interchange: Dan Hunt, Mickey Paea, Jason Nightingale, Mathew Head, Jarrod Saffy, Chase Stanley (two to be omitted)

Still no Jeremy Smith which is good for us and the highlights are backing up. I don't expect this to be a real issue with the 5 days backup, it is the equivalent of a Monday - Saturday turnaround which teams do all the time.

More importantly, the refs team:
    Referees: Ben Cummins, Alan Shortall

Have we had these 2 this year?? I'm just glad we don't have Steve Lyons, he crucifies us every time.

wats our lineup?
    guessing no conn

Quote Originally Posted by dee13 View Post
    isnt it 42yrs and nothing this time around???

or should it be 43 yrs and GOOOONNNNEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

`Turn up' or get hurt, warns Prince
    Luke Turgeon

GOLD Coast Titans skipper Scott Prince says the team risks getting smashed by the Dragons if they turn in another undisciplined performance at Skilled Park on Monday.

Pointing to the Titans' controversial one-point win over defending premiers Manly in their last start at Robina, Prince said the Gold Coast needed to `turn up' against competition leaders St George Illawarra to avoid a flogging.

"If we turn up like (we did against Manly) against the Dragons they will certainly hurt us," said Prince. "We can't play like that (again).

"They are playing very basic football but they are disciplined in defence and attack and they stick to the game plan -- it is something that is winning them games.

"We are going to have to be certainly on our game to come away with the two points on Monday night."

Prince will be free of the burden of backing up from tonight's opening State of Origin clash in Melbourne, the only fit player from last year's Origin 3 side to be overlooked.

While disappointed he won't be taking part, the crafty halfback said he harboured no ill feelings towards selectors, who rushed skipper Darren Lockyer straight back into the side after he missed last year through injury.

"I will be watching the game," said Prince.

"I will have a pair of maroon undies on, sitting on the couch watching it with the family.

"They picked the best team in form at the moment.

"Throughout the series injuries do happen -- I have just got to be working my butt off and playing good footy for my club and hopefully get an opportunity if it presents itself."

Titans coach John Cartwright yesterday named lumberjack lookalike prop Brad Meyers to slot into the starting second row in place of injured forward Mark Minichiello (ankle).

Centre Brett Delaney (ankle) and winger Kevin Gordon (groin) failed to train yesterday but are expected to play.

The Coast is hopeful Queenslander Ashley Harrison and NSW pair Anthony Laffranchi and Luke Bailey will back up from Origin, with a five-day turnaround working in their favour.

The Dragons have four players in Origin, with fullback Darius Boyd playing for Queensland and forwards Michael Weyman, Justin Poore and Ben Creagh turning out for the Blues.

Cartwright agreed with Prince that discipline would prove the deciding factor.

The Titans have never beaten the Dragons.

"They have got good players in key positions and they are very disciplined," he said. "If you play undisciplined footy against them they generally get you."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Gold Coast Titans: 1. Preston Campbell, 2. Kevin Gordon, 3. Esi Tonga, 4. Brett Delaney, 5. Chris Walker, 6. Mat Rogers, 7. Scott Prince , 8. Luke Bailey , 9. Nathan Friend, 10. Michael Henderson, 11. Anthony Laffranchi, 12. Brad Meyers, 13. Ashley Harrison.

Subs: 14. Aaron Cannings, 15. Will Matthews, 16. Luke O'Dwyer, 17. William Zillman, 20. Matt White.

St.George-Illawarra Dragons: 1. Darius Boyd, 2. Brett Morris, 3. Beau Scott, 4. Matt Cooper, 5. Wendell Sailor, 6. Jamie Soward, 7. Ben Hornby (c), 8. Justin Poore, 9. Luke Priddis, 10. Michael Weyman, 11. Dean Young, 12. Ben Creagh, 13. Neville Costigan.

Subs: 14. Dan Hunt, 15. Mickey Paea, 16. Jason Nightingale, 17. Mathew Head, 18. Jarrod Saffy, 19. Chase Stanley.