Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Issac Luke is facing a ban from a grade one striking charge which happened in the game against the Titans in the 79th minute. If he is guilty he will miss one match, the Test.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 04-05-09 at 04:24 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Issac Luke is facing a ban from a grade one striking charge which happened in the game against the Titans in the 79th minute. If he is guilty he will miss one match, the Test.
    Did Asotasi get cited for his right hook in Meyers' face?

Looks like he got off.

Though once again Pritchard is out for the Kiwis! Big loss! Manu in.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Aisle 303 Row 18 for me.........

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Aisle 303 Row 18 for me.........
    I won some free ones off the NRL. So where ever they put me. I feel like such a freeloader though, I love supporting the international game. Might have to buy some more or encourage more people to attend.

GO THE ROOS!

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I won some free ones off the NRL. So where ever they put me. I feel like such a freeloader though, I love supporting the international game. Might have to buy some more or encourage more people to attend.

GO THE ROOS!
    Hey, if you really don't want to use your free ones...

Quote Originally Posted by kwigibo View Post
    Hey, if you really don't want to use your free ones...
    LOL Im sure I will warm up to the idea. At least with the extra money I can buy a couple stadium combo meals.

Kiwis cop dual blow ahead of 'Roos Test

New Zealand's hopes of ending their "Anzac Test" curse have suffered a double blow with explosive forward Frank Pritchard ruled out and influential hooker Issac Luke in danger of being suspended.

The Kiwis are without a victory in the one-off trans-Tasman clash in 11 years and their preparations for Friday night's edition at Suncorp Stadium could have hardly begun worse.

South Sydney's Luke copped a striking charge from Saturday night's loss to the Gold Coast shortly before it was confirmed Pritchard was unable to line up due to a neck injury.

Melbourne's Sika Manu has been called into NZ's 18-man squad which also has fellow forward Jeremy Smith in doubt with an ankle injury.

Trans-Tasman relations rest in the hands of Souths as the Rabbitohs weigh up whether to defend Luke's grade one charge for a late forearm which struck Titans and Australian backrower Anthony Laffranchi in the neck and chin.

The New Zealand Rugby League has petitioned Souths to contest Luke's charge as an early guilty plea would still mean suspension.

Luke's only hope of playing in the World Cup final rematch is to win a not guilty verdict at the NRL Judiciary.

Souths have gun lawyer Geoff Bellew poring over video footage of the 79th-minute incident at Skilled Park and the club has until noon Tuesday to decide on their action.

Wests Tigers' Dene Halatau looms as a potential replacement in the squad if Luke is rubbed out and could even take over his No.9 jersey thanks to his club combination with Benji Marshall.

Warriors half Nathan Fien also shared the dummy-half duties with Luke and Thomas Leuluai in last year's World Cup and could also be a back-up.

Despite winning the World Cup in Brisbane, NZ coach Stephen Kearney believes his men will again be underdogs as the Kangaroos seek revenge for the 34-20 loss.

"We haven't won an Anzac Day Test since `98 and we haven't won one in Australia and the average score in the last five of them has been 36-12, so to me that doesn't sound to me we should be the hunted."

Kearney said the injuries to Pritchard and Smith just heightened the challenge.

"It doesn't make it easy for us," he said. "We have to wait and see with (Smith). We're giving him every opportunity and that's our sign of what he means to the group."

Kearney will guide his side without the help of veteran coach Wayne Bennett but is still in regular contact with his World Cup assistant.

"He was wonderful for all of us last year but it's a real opportunity for us to push forward," he said.

"Wayne instilled a few things within the group which I'm sure will take us forward to Friday night."

Kiwis skipper Benji Marshall declared himself a certain starter after overcoming illness and a thigh injury but didn't expect his club coach, Australian mentor Tim Sheens, to take it easy on him.

"He's one of those coaches who knows how to get the best out of his team and he'll get the best out of the Australian team by sending a few people at me," Marshall said.

Source: http://www.nrl.com /APP

Titans Bull unleashed for league Test

THE Kangaroos will unleash the 'raging bull' Luke Bailey for a 30-minute rampage as part of a plan to belt the mammoth Kiwi pack into submission.

The Gold Coast Titans co-captain, who has not played off the bench since Origin in 2007, yesterday revealed he was relishing the opportunity to go 'flat out' over a shortened period compared to club football, where he 'paces' himself.

As talk centres around the Kangaroos' electrifying backline, coach Tim Sheens declared the forwards would decide the outcome of the hotly anticipated World Cup final rematch.

Sheens said picking two props on the bench -- Bailey and Brent Kite -- was essential in stopping the Kiwi go-forward.

And Bailey is up for the challenge, declaring he will leave nothing in the tank.

"When you start the game you do tend to pace yourself sometimes and sometimes you can start slow," said Bailey.

"I'm thinking just go out there and have a crack, by the time I get tired the game should be over."

The 29-year-old admitted he would have to rein in his rampaging emotions while he sits on the bench during the physical opening exchanges of the game.

"It certainly is a lot different starting off the bench, especially watching the two sides meet face to face in the final last year, you get pumped up and then you've got to sit on the bench for 20 minutes," said Bailey.

"You've just got to keep a cool head and wait till your turn comes and give it your all."

Much of the talk has centred around Australia's all-Queensland, all-star backline but Sheens said it would be the forwards who would have the biggest say on the match.

"Unless we win the battle up front, and New Zealand are strong there ... if we don't win that battle, it's no use going to the backline off bad play-the-balls," he said.

"We've really got to work hard there before we let the boys take the balls off the edges.

"I picked two props on the bench to counteract any go-forward and also to give us a good platform for (Cameron) Smith, (Johnathan) Thurston and (Darren) Lockyer."

The match is shaping as an epic battle up front.

Starting Australian props Petero Civoniceva and Steve Price weigh a combined 217kg while the Kiwi props Roy Asotasi and Adam Blair weigh in at 209kg.

On the bench, props Bailey and Kite, who weigh a combined 218kg, will wait in the wings to keep the pressure on the Kiwi forwards.

As the Australian side was gathering in Brisbane for their first training session yesterday, Bailey was still getting his head around the fact he was not in Orange for the City v Country clash.

"I thought I might have been heading down to Orange," he said.

"I don't think my form has been outstanding, but it's been solid and nobody really has been outstanding.

"I hadn't really had a mention in the press until Sunday morning.

"I still know how to play rep footy and I'm looking forward to it."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Benji's taunt for haunted Kangaroos

AUSTRALIAN players have vowed to prove they are the game's No.1 team by winning Friday night's Test in Brisbane - but new Kiwis captain Benji Marshall insists his side will retain the tag of world champions regardless of the result.

As the two teams yesterday began preparations for their first meeting since New Zealand's upset win in November's World Cup final at Suncorp Stadium, most of the talk centred on the Kangaroos' bid to redeem a defeat many of the players admitted had haunted them for weeks afterwards. Skipper Darren Lockyer said he had not watched a replay of Australia's 34-20 loss, and doubted he ever would.

"I thought long and hard about it for about two weeks," Lockyer said. "When you lose a game like that a lot of things go through your mind - a lot of what-ifs. For the guys that are here, you never forget that."

Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens admitted he and the selectors had shown loyalty to the majority of the side from that match because they wanted to give them a shot at redemption, and lock Paul Gallen made it clear the Australian players were determined to prove they were the best team in the world.

"I went on a holiday with my missus afterwards, and it wasn't a really enjoyable time," Gallen said of the World Cup defeat. "It's something that still does hurt but it's a new year and a new team so we've just got to go out there and worry about this game now, and hopefully redeem a little bit and get something back, and prove that we are the best team in the world by winning this game on Friday night."

But Marshall, who laughed off suggestions from his club coach Sheens that he would not be 100 per cent fit on Friday night after sitting out Wests Tigers' 22-20 loss to the Bulldogs because of a corked thigh and a virus, taunted his rivals by reminding them that the Kiwis would hold the cup for another four seasons.

"Them winning this game isn't going to take away from the fact we won the World Cup," Marshall said. "That trophy is in the cabinet now so whether they like or not, they are going to have to wait another four years, or however long, to get a shot at that.

"I'm not trying to sound rude or arrogant but they are out for revenge, and there is no revenge to be had. I think they picked the same team on purpose, just to give them that shot at redemption but the fact is the World Cup trophy is in the cabinet, and whether we win or lose this game isn't the be-all and end-all for the Kiwis.

"We're on the rise and we've got a great future, and that's the main things for us. This is a game where they can get a bit of pride back for their country or we can keep the pride but it isn't about confirming who is the best or not."

Sheens agreed but said the players involved in the World Cup deserved an opportunity to make amends for their loss.

"I won't use the word revenge because you can't win back the World Cup but it is a chance to play the side that beat them in an important game because all Tests are important," Sheens said.

Australian selector Bob McCarthy said he knew from personal experience how much the players would want to reverse the result of the World Cup final.

"There is nothing worse than when you get your tail smacked," he said. "We lost the Ashes in 1970, and then six weeks later we played the Poms in the World Cup final and beat them. You want to get back at those bastards, and I'm pretty sure these blokes have been waiting six months for this. I'm sure the Kiwis will come out strong but our blokes will be more determined than ever to turn it around. I'm sure they were embarrassed that night up there. I was pretty embarrassed in the dressing room after the game."

Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au

Lots of people seem to be going to the Test, judging by the people I've been talking to. Should be a great night. Watching early morning tours and Tests made me fall in love with rugby league, they will always be very special to me.

Goatus got a ticket tonight, PAX number was 30k odd. Hope to see at least 45k there tomorrow night!

Kangaroos fullback Billy Slater says he will only play if 100 percent

Australian fullback Billy Slater says he will only declare himself a certain starter for the Test against New Zealand if he can guarantee he'll last the full 80 minutes.

Slater ran on his heavily strapped ankle at Kangaroos training, his first test of the joint since Tuesday's training mishap.

While he did not seem to be hampered by the ankle during Thursday's session, the true test will be how he pulls up on Friday morning with a decision on his availability likely to be made then.

Despite the presence of Newcastle custodian Kurt Gidley on the interchange bench, Slater said he wouldn't risk going into the Suncorp Stadium clash carrying the injury for fear of leaving the Kangaroos undermanned.

"I don't want to be a liability out there and come off in the first two minutes," Slater said.

"I'll have to be reasonably comfortable (I can) play the 80 if I'm going to take my place.

"The good thing about it is I did it on Tuesday and not tonight so I've given myself a few days to get over it."

The healthy prognosis and the availability of Gidley as back-up means the Kangaroos won't bring in an extra player as insurance in case Slater doesn't come good.

If Slater was in fact ruled out, Gidley would move into the starting line-up with 18th man Luke Lewis coming onto the bench.

"Kurt trained there the other day when Billy went down so he's already had one session," Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens said.

"There was some suggestion that another fullback might be dragged in but I think at this stage that's not a reality given that Billy's 99.9 per cent right."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

Darren Lockyer says Kiwis entitled to be No.1 if they win Anzac Test

Australian skipper Darren Lockyer says New Zealand have every right to lay claim to Test football's No.1 ranking should they upset the Kangaroos again on Friday night.

Despite heading into the Suncorp Stadium clash as World Cup champions following their stunning triumph in last year's final, the Kiwis still trailed the Australians in the official rankings which were released at the completion of the 2008 tournament.

But according to Lockyer, top dog status will go on the line at Suncorp Stadium when the Kangaroos attempt to avoid back-to-back losses to the Kiwis for the first time in almost 40 years.

?They'll be out to prove that last year wasn't a fluke and if they've beaten us the last two times you'd have to say `yeah, we can't claim to be No.1,'' Lockyer said.

?Obviously we've been dominant over the years but the last few years they've won a couple of big games.

?If we were to lose tomorrow night I can't see how we'd be No.1.''

Last year's World Cup win came on top of New Zealand's equally amazing 24-0 thumping of Australia in the 2005 Tri-Nations final.

They were unlucky not to go back-to-back in the Tri-Nations with Australia only winning the 2006 tournament in golden point.

The Kiwis seemed unperturbed by the prospect of taking over as top dog, Stephen Kearney more concerned with improving his side's horrible record in mid-season Tests.

Not only have New Zealand not won a mid-year Test in 11 years, but the Kiwis have copped a hammering in recent years with Australia twice posting totals in excess of 50 points.

?We're not too fussed about rankings, all we're concerned about is performing,'' Kearney said.

?If we're fortunate enough to get the ranking, so be it, but that's not our focus.''

Both sides had their final hit outs at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday, with the training runs doubling as fitness tests for Australian fullback Billy Slater and Kiwi lock Jeremy Smith.

Smith failed to overcome his ankle injury and was replaced by Sydney Roosters centre Iosia Soliola in a reshuffled line-up, Simon Mannering moving from the backs to the pack.

Smith was the third Kiwi to bite the dust following the loss of Frank Pritchard (neck) and Issac Luke (suspension) earlier in the week.

Slater seemed unbothered by his heavily strapped ankle at Kangaroos training, but a final decision on his availability is unlikely before Friday morning.

Despite boasting one of the most dynamic backlines in Australian Test history, Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens said his focus had been on getting things right in the middle of the ruck.

Australia were overrun by New Zealand's powerful pack in the World Cup final, which in effect neutralised the home side's ability to unleash their star-studded backline.

?We will play attacking football no doubt, but that's the Australian side before I got there,'' Sheens said.

?I just hope to be a little more patient ... we tended to go to our backs and we tended to go to the air to (Israel) Folau miles too quick - for every one we catch there's three that they run him off the ball.

?I think we've got to have a bit more to our game then just resort to the high kick.

?The natural talent in the team is there, what we've got to do is defend - we had 34 points scored against us (in the World Cup final) and that's not acceptable for an Australia side and the boys understand that, that it's not good enough.''

New Zealand forced to reshuffle again after Jeremy Smith ruled out

Injured New Zealand back-rower Jeremy Smith has been ruled out of Friday night's Test against Australia.

In another blow to the Kiwis' ahead of the Suncorp Stadium showdown, Smith has succumbed to a sprained ankle.

New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney has switched centre Simon Mannering to the back-row and Iosia Soliola from the bench to the centres.

Reserve forward Sika Manu comes into the final 17.

Emerging Broncos utility Alex Glenn has been called in as 18th man.

It is another major hiccup for the Kiwis who have already lost forward Frank Pritchard to a neck injury and hooker Issac Luke to suspension.

Luke was sensationally rubbed out for one match by the NRL judiciary on Wednesday night for a striking offence.

Australia v New Zealand

Suncorp Stadium, Friday 7.45pm
    Head to head: Australia 84, New Zealand 28, drawn 2
    Last clash: New Zealand 34-20 at Suncorp Stadium (World Cup Final, November 22, 2008)
    TABSportsbet: Australia $1.28, New Zealand $3.50
    Footytab: New Zealand +12.5

A re-match of last year's epic World Cup final in which the Kiwis came away with a stunning 34-20 win. Australia are still smarting from that defeat, and selectors have given the majority of the squad humbled that night in Brisbane a shot at redemption by making only subtle changes for this Test. The Kangaroos are pretty much at full strength, so there can be no excuse here, while the Kiwis have stiffened up their pack with the return of powerhouse prop Roy Asotasi. The suspension of hooker Issac Luke hurts New Zealand's creativity around the ruck, placing more pressure on the shoulders of key playmaker and new Kiwis skipper Benji Marshall.

Key: The battle up front. An undermanned Australia couldn't contain the Kiwi pack in last year's final, but with Steve Price and Luke Bailey returning to add some steel to the middle, another capitulation is unlikely.

Tip: Australia

Kangaroos: Billy Slater, Israel Folau, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Darius Boyd, Darren Lockyer (capt), Johnathan Thurston, Petero Civoniceva, Cameron Smith, Steve Price, Anthony Laffranchi, Paul Gallen, Glenn Stewart. Interchange: Kurt Gidley, Brent Kite, Luke Bailey, Anthony Watmough.

New Zealand: Lance Hohaia, Sam Perrett, Iosia Soliola, Jerome Ropati, Manu Vatuvei, Nathan Fien, Benji Marshall (capt), Roy Asotasi, Dene Halatau, Adam Blair, David Fa'alogo, Bronson Harrison, Simon Mannering. Interchange: Greg Eastwood, Jeff Lima, Jason Nightingale, Sika Manu.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au