Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Test Match: Australian Kangaroos vs New Zealand Kiwis

Australian Kangaroos vs New Zealand Kiwis

7:30pm Friday May 8th - Suncorp Stadium

Tickets: http://www.ticketek.com.au

Australia

Billy Slater, Israel Folau, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Darius Boyd, Darren Lockyer (capt), Johnathan Thurston, Petero Civoniceva, Cameron Smith, Steve Price, Anthony Laffranchi, Paul Gallen, Glenn Stewart. Interchange: Kurt Gidley, Brent Kite, Luke Bailey, Anthony Watmough.

New Zealand

Roy Asotasi, Adam Blair, Greg Eastwood, David Fa'alogo Nathan Fien, Bronson Harrison, Lance Hohaia, Jeff Lima, Issac Luke, Simon Mannering, Benji Marshall (capt), Jason Nightingale, Sam Perrett, Sika Manu, Jerome Ropati, Jeremy Smith, Iosia Soliola, Manu Vatuvei.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 05-05-09 at 06:06 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Oh my god, I am really looking forward to this! I rarely miss a rugby league Test and I want pay back!!!

Just waiting to hear what the Aussie Test team is, hoping for that all Queensland backline with Lockyer as captain. Hoping for Prince to get in but it's looking unlikely. Don't worry Scott. at worst, you can always play for the Kangaroos in the 4Nations after you lift the Premiership trophy!

Interesting to see the effect Tim Sheens will have on the squad.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Counting the days now.... havent even planned how we are getting to the game yet... I was to busy counting down to yesterday.... suppose I should look into it.. I dont even know what time the gates open, just know where I m sitting and that payback is a must

Here's to 2015

Australia

Billy Slater, Israel Folau, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Darius Boyd, Darren Lockyer (capt), Johnathan Thurston, Petero Civoniceva, Cameron Smith, Steve Price, Anthony Laffranchi, Paul Gallen, Glenn Stewart. Interchange: Kurt Gidley, Brent Kite, Luke Bailey, Anthony Watmough.

New Zealand

Roy Asotasi, Adam Blair, Greg Eastwood, David Fa'alogo Nathan Fien, Bronson Harrison, Lance Hohaia, Jeff Lima, Issac Luke, Simon Mannering, Benji Marshall (capt), Jason Nightingale, Sam Perrett, Frank Pritchard, Jerome Ropati, Jeremy Smith, Iosia Soliola, Manu Vatuvei.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

first 10 players on that list are Queenslanders, impressive.

Grats to Bull and Frankie, well played
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Not many surprises there.

As Coaster said, amazing to see so many Queenslanders, especially after living through so many years of NSW domination.

New Zealand field a very very strong side and it really helps that Marshall is in such great form. I thought Issac Luke was missing for a second! I couldn't believe it, then I found him.

Pleasing to know the Maroons will be fielding a Kangaroos frontrow as well as a Kangaroos backline come Origin time!

Great to hear you will be going to the game as well GCT 07!

I think it will be a hard fought and passionate affair. Kangaroos by 12 points with Lockyer and Laffranchi to score.

Congratulations to Luke Bailey and Anthony Laffranchi! Good luck! We are all vey proud of you both!
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 03-05-09 at 08:06 PM.

Junior Titan

im going too be at this match. in one of the corners .

The way tickets are selling it should end up a big crowd. Get out there and show the nation why QLD is the capital of RUGBY LEAGUE!

Laffranchi i expected to see..... but as i was reading accross one at a time lookin for scotty.... not there... ok... who s on the bench.. maybe he s there..... NOPE... and then I see BULL..... OMG....soooo chuffed! To me Luke is like the quiet achiever.... doesnt say a hell of a lot just goes out and gets the job done..... CHEERS BULL.... WELL DONE!

Brad, we managed to get seats in the equivelant of section 30 but in row 7...... took ages....lol.....Last few times at Suncorp we have been so high up we ve had to take a packed lunch just to get up all those stairs

Here's to 2015

Every news story is making out like it's a QLD triumph, just because 10 of the 17 are maroons. After 3 years winning origin that's the least they could expect. But it's not even the right ten (what has Slater done to keep his spot in light of the competition, among others?), and the selectors still think there's not one decent back rower in QLD, or that there's not at least ten players better suited as bench utilities than Gidley in both states.

A very similar team just lost the world cup in the sport where Aus isn't supposed to have serious competition, it needed a bigger overhaul.

Its a well balanced side bit i am a bit surprised Luke Lewis didn't get a start atleast on the bench , probably the form backrower of the Competition
    #itaintweaktospeak

Kangaroos selectors show faith in beaten World Cup brigade

Kangaroos selectors showed loyalty to the men who lost the 'unlosable' World Cup, handing 12 members of last year's vanquished team a shot at revenge on Friday against New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium.

In a side dominated by Queenslanders - the Maroons had 10 players in the squad, including the entire backline - there were few surprises other than a representative recall for Gold Coast prop Luke Bailey, who was overlooked for the Rugby League World Cup and must have contemplated the end of his representative career.

St George-Illawarra's Darius Boyd won the contentious spot on the wing, although he missed the Dragons' win over the Warriors with a thigh injury and will be given until Wednesday to prove his fitness.

Canberra's Joel Monaghan is on stand-by should he be ruled out. Boyd's selection meant for the first time in 84 years - since the third Test of the 1925 Test against Britain - the entire Australia backline was to be made up of Queenslanders.

The maroon tinge in the backs reflects Queensland's dominance at State of Origin level over the past three years, prompting coach Tim Sheens to challenge New South Wales to show they deserved a greater representation.

"I can remember a few years ago it used to be the other way around - there were very few Queenslanders in the side," Sheens said.

"It's up to NSW to do something about that this year."

Selectors also kept faith with Manly trio Glenn Stewart, Brent Kite and Anthony Watmough despite the premiers' woeful start to the year. The Sea Eagles have won only twice this season and the form of their entire playing squad has come under the microscope.

However, Sheens defended their selection as well as the decision to retain the majority of the side beaten 34-20 by the Kiwis last October. Of the outfit stunned by the Kiwis, Monaghan, David Williams, Karmichael Hunt, Anthony Tupou and Craig Fitzgibbon were left out.

Steve Price and Kurt Gidley were recalled after missing the final through injury while Justin Hodges was unavailable for the tournament, also with injury. Boyd was a member of the World Cup squad but missed selection for the final and Bailey was given a representative lifeline.

"Our current NRL champions are also our world club champions so that form doesn't fall away," Sheens said.

"I don't think they've played that bad that they've caused the problem (of Manly losses). Their combinations with the other players in the (Australia) side is also a factor. I have to say I am a bit of a traditionalist. I didn't see wholesale sackings. I don't think the selectors did either.

"They played very well. They were a bit unlucky in many ways that the one game they were going to lose had to be the final.

"There's an element of loyalty there. They have earned the right. Most of those guys have come through the State of Origin series and earned the right to get there.

"Some players have played a little better this year. There's an element of, 'you have to play your way out'."

Bailey, who played the last of his three Tests against the Kiwis in 2007, missed the majority of the representative season last year with a knee injury.

However, he has been in outstanding form for the Gold Coast this season as the club has surged into a share of the competition lead. Titans coach John Cartwright claimed Bailey's form demanded he be selected - a point Sheens endorsed.

"He carries the ball very well and he's been playing well," Sheens said.

"Gold Coast are having a good season on the back of him. When he wasn't there last week for the Gold Coast I think that was noticeable."

Bailey, who celebrated with a family dinner on Sunday night, was ecstatic with his selection. In recent years he has been trapped behind Queensland pair Steve Price and Petero Civoniceva but he forced his way on to the bench with his form over the opening two months of the premiership.

"I'm just so proud," Bailey said.

"I didn't think it had passed me by, I knew I still had a bit of representative football in me despite Steve Price and Petero Civoniceva playing well. You just have to get form on the board and hope things come your way."

The one concern for the Kangaroos remains Boyd. Although he missed the Dragons' game at WIN Stadium, Sheens said St George-Illawarra's medical staff were confident the Queensland winger would be fit for Friday.

Boyd, who made his Test debut against Papua New Guinea in last year's World Cup, has been outstanding for the Dragons this season and coach Wayne Bennett said he had been contacted by Boyd as late as Sunday morning asking to be included in the team that beat the Warriors.

"He's a wonderful winger and he's played all his football at the Broncos with us on the wing," Bennett said.

"He does everything right as a winger, he's got great anticipation, and a lot of confidence out of playing fullback here (at the Dragons).

"Australia's doesn't really have an established winger - they've got (Israel) Folau on one (wing) of course ... and they've got a winger (Boyd) ready to step up and be there for the next decade and handle the position."

Source: http://www.news.com.au

Fox Sport's Warren Smith believes the Kangaroos will have revenge over NZ

Fox Sports rugby league commentator Warren Smith says he expects the Kangaroos to gain revenge in their World Cup final re-match at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

The Kangaroos team was named on Sunday night with few changes to the side that lost that match last November, and Smith believes the selectors have got it right for the Aussies to gain a narrow win.

Smith claims the impressive all-Queensland backline, including Jonathan Thurston, Darren Lockyer, Billy Slater, Israel Folau and Justin Hodges, will be too strong for the New Zealanders come Friday.

?It has been tough for the Kiwis in the past in the one-off Test matches, where the Australians have come together well and have really given it to the Kiwis with some big score lines in recent times,? Smith said.

But he warns this week's one-off Test won?t all be in the Kangaroos favour.

?The Kiwis will really ask a few questions of the Australian defence, and if the Aussies aren?t on their game, defensively especially, then they?ll be up against it.

?I don?t think there will be any great margin, it will be a rough contest and a real ?down to the wire? sort of job.?

Smith says the return of Steve Price to the Kangaroos front row, after missing the World Cup final with injury, will be a major boost for the team.

?Steve Price hurt himself in the days before the actual game last year and that really hurt the Australian team. He is back which will help them out this time around because he is one of the best front rowers in the game for a long time now.?

St George Illawarra?s Darius Boyd?s inclusion on the wing was worthy according to Smith, although incumbent David Williams would have been closer if he had played more football this season.

?Darius Boyd has been playing sensational football for the Dragons.

?Williams has been out with a few injuries this year as far as his shoulder is concerned.

?I thought if they considered that he?d had enough football under his belt then they?d probably stick with him, but Boyd has played a lot of football this year where Williams has only played a few games.

Smith says a late run of top form from Gold Coast duo Luke Bailey and Anthony Laffranchi was enough to cement their positions in the team.

?Most contention was around who was going to be playing in the back row, and maybe a few spots on the bench.

?Luke Bailey snatched one of those spots on the bench. It?s hard to fault his form, he had a terrific game for the Gold Coast Titans yesterday (Saturday). I think the way he played yesterday might have been enough to give him that spot.?

Laffranchi?s game against South Sydney also impressed Smith.

?He looked a lot more damaging, he looked like he could punch a few holes potentially in a defensive line, and the team he played yesterday contained the likes of Roy Asotasi, David Fa'alogo and Issacc Luke who will all be lining up for the Kiwis next Friday night.?

Smith asserts the inclusion of Billy Slater over Brisbane rival Karmichael Hunt is no mistake, believing the Melbourne star has been the form fullback in the NRL over the past two seasons.

?There?s no doubt that Karmichael Hunt has a bit more versatility (than Billy Slater), the fact that he can play in the halves if you needed him to, but you?ve got Kurt Gidley coming off the bench for Australia so he covers that role.

?I have no issues what so ever for Billy being the no.1 for the Aussie team.

?He?ll be one who is fired up to make amends and say to everybody what happened last year in those final ten minutes or so of that game was a bit of an aberration.?

Source: http://www.news.com.au

Benji Marshall named New Zealand captain for Australia Test

Wests Tigers playmaker Benji Marshall has been named to captain world champions New Zealand in Friday night's rugby league Test against Australia at Suncorp Stadium.

Marshall, who didn't play for the Tigers against the Bulldogs on Sunday because of illness, gained the captaincy ahead of South Sydney's Roy Asotasi who had been fancied for the role.

The Kiwis selectors were to meet later on Sunday evening to consider medical reports on St George Illawarra's Jeremy Smith and Penrith's Frank Pritchard, who suffered injuries in weekend NRL matches, before confirming the squad.

Marshall takes over the captaincy from Nathan Cayless, who announced his retirement from international football last month after leading New Zealand to November's World Cup final win over the Kangaroos in Brisbane.

Marshall made his debut as Kiwis captain in New Zealand's 36-24 pool game victory over England in Newcastle during the World Cup.

"We're lucky to have plenty of natural leaders in our group," said Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney.

"It was a huge honour for Benji to lead his country against England and it was job he really took to.

"This is another step. Benji enjoys the extra responsibility and he'll have plenty of leadership support around him from the likes of Roy, Jeremy and others."

Injuries had restricted Marshall to only three Tests ? all one-off Anzac Tests ? before the World Cup but he appeared in six straight internationals in as many weeks in last year's tournament.

The selectors opted not to bring halfback Thomas Leuluai back from English Super League.

"We just felt it's too difficult bringing players back from the Super League for a one-off Test here so this time we have not considered players from English clubs," said Kearney.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

Smith and Pritchard in doubt for Test

INJURED St George Illawarra lock Jeremy Smith last night convinced Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney to give him until later in the week to prove his fitness but a decision on Penrith dynamo Frank Pritchard might be made earlier.

While most of the focus after the naming of the New Zealand team was on Smith's failure to complete yesterday's match against the Warriors in Wollongong due to a high ankle sprain, it is Pritchard who is causing Kiwis officials most concern.

Pritchard is struggling with a neck injury sustained in Saturday night's win over Canberra, and Kearney admitted the Panthers' strike forward was a doubtful starter.

"He is a worry. He hurt his neck in Canberra, and it doesn't sound too good at this stage," Kearney told the Herald.

Dragons coach Wayne Bennett and club doctor Paul Arnett refused to rule Smith out of Friday night's Test but admitted he would struggle to play.

"It's probably a minor ankle sprain but they'll have to see how he goes during the week," Arnett said. "There is a chance he won't be right."

Bennett said: "He's going to be in a fair bit of doubt for the Test match. He is a rough chance but it is an ankle injury. We're optimistic it is not too serious but it is going to be line ball if he plays."

However, Smith spoke to members of the Kiwis training staff involved with the Warriors and told them he was "buzzing" about the World Cup final rematch at Suncorp Stadium.

He also spoke to Kearney. "We're going to give him every chance to play." the Kiwis coach said. "Those sort of injuries can be two weeks out for some players but the thing with Jeremy is he's someone that will work really hard to get himself right, and he really wants to play."

Source: http://www.smh.com.au