Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's good and bad about rugby league?

People have been talking about the state and rules of rugby league with people commenting and now criticising the rules of our game!
    the main things critics and radio show hosts have been criticising are the 40/20 rule the scrums not being rough enough and many penalty issues etc.?

So do you agree with them or disagree with the media about the fundamentals of rugby league?????
    please explain why you back that view

Go Titans!!!

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Apart from scums being a waste i think the biggest problem with rugby league is its being sold short.

For instance, The new A-League team Northern Fury, plays its home games at Dairy Farmers, of the 13 home games it has, 11 are played on a saturday night to assist all the fans from outside of townsville attending, the two other games i think from memory were sunday night or arvo.

Now look at the cowboys and their huge supporter base ranging from Innisfail to the Tablelands, yet they are forced to play on fridays, sunday arvos and even monday night, making it hard for their fans to attend.

Can't wait for the new tv rights to be negotiated, hopefully we have an independant commission by then.

yeah i agree i reckon that's ridiculous but it's not like we can do anything about it.........

Firstly and most importantly.......

CONGRATS ON THE NAME 'MATTY ROGERS' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now as for the game.... THE SCRUM

Part of the excitement in the 'Winfield Cup' days was the scrum. You never knew who would end up with it. Now you see them pack for the scrum and you really do think "whats the point..... why not just blow a whistle.... its about as exciting as the scrum now is"

Either go back to the old scrum days or ditch the damn thing.

Here's to 2015

BAD: The Sydney Roosters

Scummy board, Scummy team, scummy fans

The whole club is the vermin of rugby league

Best game on earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

i do think the scrum is nothing like it used to be, now its is just merely a stop in play so that the attacking team can have have a go thru a set play...

the good = JETSTAR GOLD COAST TITANS

the bad = the 15 other clubs
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

I've mentioned the importance of the scrum before, regardless of the fact it is largely un-contested these days, it is a vital part of allowing the attacking team to put on scrum-based plays. Much the same as a set peice from a penalty, a good scrum play will largely result in a good metre gain, maybe even a try. It is an integral part of allowing teams to put on set plays and it is a must, regardless of the outcome of the feed.

One of the big things that is killing RL IMO is inconsistency with penalties from one week to the next, which leaves fans furious with some descisions, while bemused at others. The overly and unnecessary technical issues are slowing down the game too, which has sort of been addressed with less video-ref and more on-filed decisions. Also, who knows what is legal or illegal contact with the head these days? Just outlaw any contact with head or neck, and it's done!

And do the touchies actually serve any worthwhile purpose? If you're gonna run a line, use your flag and make a decision on forward passes, you turkeys! Aren't they in the best position to make the call?

That'll do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_07 View Post
    Firstly and most importantly.......

CONGRATS ON THE NAME 'MATTY ROGERS' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now as for the game.... THE SCRUM

Part of the excitement in the 'Winfield Cup' days was the scrum. You never knew who would end up with it. Now you see them pack for the scrum and you really do think "whats the point..... why not just blow a whistle.... its about as exciting as the scrum now is"

Either go back to the old scrum days or ditch the damn thing.
    YEAH!!! MATTY ROGERS!!!! lol

yeah I agree what's the point with the scrum it may aswell be a tap and run they should put at least a bit of push into the scrums i'm saying not like union full on scrums but a decent push and shove

So they can get people like jonothan thurston out of the scrum!

With the issue of the scrum do you think that they should change it to a great deal of push like union and yes i know it would change the game dramatically but at the way the games going, they won't be making contact soon.

Nope.... I m not saying anything about Union... I m saying the scrum should be as it used to be in League...... back in the 90s.... when it used to be called the winfield cup.

Check out some footage if you can find it of Bennie Elias.... one of the best

Here's to 2015

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

I've mentioned the importance of the scrum before, regardless of the fact it is largely un-contested these days, it is a vital part of allowing the attacking team to put on scrum-based plays. Much the same as a set peice from a penalty, a good scrum play will largely result in a good metre gain, maybe even a try. It is an integral part of allowing teams to put on set plays and it is a must, regardless of the outcome of the feed.
    When they disallowed that awesome canberra scrum play where they went right up the middle was the day the scrum died in my eyes. Either let them push or get rid of them. How often do u see a scrum set piece, i thin kive seen one from the dragons in the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    BAD: The Sydney Roosters

BAD: The Brisbane Broncos

....lol

I love our game and it has changed each year for the better of the game....

scrums do seem useless, althought things would be heaps different if it changed and also the inconsistancy of the refs.....but that cant be helped atm.....

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

The scrum must stay or u will never see Brilliant trys like Chris Lawrence scored on Monday night when he blew Slater away

As Coaster said The Greatest Game on The Planet & Dave , Gold Coast Titans but the one thing it brings to ALL supporters who really Love this game is PASSION
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    The scrum must stay or u will never see Brilliant trys like Chris Lawrence scored on Monday night when he blew Slater away

As Coaster said The Greatest Game on The Planet & Dave , Gold Coast Titans but the one thing it brings to ALL supporters who really Love this game is PASSION
    Yes we do need the scrum but toughen it up it is ridiculous when you little guys in the scrum if it were union they'd probably be dead! the way the scrum are were gonna end up doing this!

haha lol