Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Give him another year, and if his football isn't up to scratch for another one after that, let him don Captain Charger's gear

Quote Originally Posted by daveyk View Post
    i really hope that the club can and WILL make room for walks to stay....

he is a testimont to anyone that you can overcome great hurdles and still rise to the top, especially when things are stacked against you..

Searly.... please dont let Chris leave...
    Well said Davey.

Not only challenges but also an shining example that you can change your image. Many people struggle with that, they want to change their image, but feel that they can't. Chris shows that you certainly can.

The media aren't kidding when they say Chris Walker is deep in the hearts of Titans fans.

He has come back to compete at the top of the game in the NRL. He is yet again a deadly try scorer, not your ordinary winger but he has great instinct to find tries.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

he is one of the few 'Characters' in the game.....

not just one of thos superstars, but a cult hero that feeds off the fans, whom in turn feed off his performance.....

guys like him and wendall seem to really enjoy playing football and scoring those tries to pump the crowd up.......

sure enough there are younger, faster wingers coming up, but will they just be quiet professionals like prince, or a real character of the game.....

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

I also would hate to see him go but do understand that he has to do whats best for his family. He is a great role model for any young player. He has turned his life around and worked very hard to get back on the paddock and be the player and the person he is today all under the watchful eyes of the media and public. He is my absolute favourite titan and has been since day one. He's exciting to watch and I love how passionate he is about the titans. The titans gave him a chance when no-one else would so I'm sure they would love to keep him just as much as the fans want him to stay.

Kevin Gordon
    Kevin Mead
    Cameron White
    Shannon Walker........

Why spend more money on another winger, even if he is cheap?
    And look at the investment payoff in Esi & Gordon!

I think Chris Walker is going to England, he's already lost enough potential money sitting out injured\suspended on incentive based contracts. As soon as they start saying 'whats good for my family' - you know they are going to England.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

You make some good points Ryan. At least we can be reassured with the talent we have coming through, that the Titans are sure to have strike power out wide.

Either way we have Chris for 2009, so I am going to focus on that and enjoy it.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    Surely the club has the room to sign him for 2 years on 100k a season.
    Oh silly me I though it was 200k over 2 years, but it is 200k+ per season for 2 seasons. I'd love for him to stay a Titans, but I think he would be silly to turn it down and we have a good replacement waiting for his turn in Mead.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

It certainly is alot of money, more than we can offer.

It is Celtic Crusaders that are chasing isn't it? I love that team, if he does go to the Euro Super League, I'd love it to be that team.

But in more immediate news, I hope he starts on the wing against the Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    It certainly is alot of money, more than we can offer.

It is Celtic Crusaders that are chasing isn't it? I love that team, if he does go to the Euro Super League, I'd love it to be that team.

But in more immediate news, I hope he starts on the wing against the Dragons.
    Things not loking too rosy on or off the field for Crusaders,genuine concerns as to their long term viability,just hope the owner Leighton Samuels sticks with it.
    Im comfortable for Chris Walker to be let go,i realise some fans hold him in cult status,but havent really seen him do anything special on the field in his time at the titans,dodgy defence as well,be good to see Mead or Shannon Walker kick on to first grade if he goes.

I'm sure Leighton Samuels will stick with the Crusaders, he has come along way with the team and started at the very bottom. I know there crowds are down to just under 3k now.

I am really concerned with the amount of time the RFL gave Celtic to sign players and organise for Super League. Same with Les Cats when they came in. In this day and age I believe you need a lot longer lead in, the NRL gave the Titans ample time to sign players and get our shop in order.

Default Keep Chris here

I can understand if Chris HAD to go for financial reasons, but I believe the Titans should try and keep him here. Offer him a contract as well as give him employment within the Club. He has proven he is well liked with the fans and I think he would be great working either with school kids or with Junior League. I wish him well either way (although I reckon he and his family would prefer the sunny Gold Coast to cold, dreary England)

Walker eyes a switch to union

CHRIS Walker is in danger of being lost to the Gold Coast, with the former Queensland Origin winger the latest NRL star to contemplate a move to rugby.

The Titans flyer faces a $300,000 sacrifice to remain at the club next season after fielding lucrative offers from Super League clubs Celtic Crusaders, Salford and Wakefield.

But a series of conversations with dual internationals Wendell Sailor and Mat Rogers has ignited Walker's desire to become a success in the 15-a-side code.

The 29-year-old has links with rugby. His uncle, Paul Mills, played for Queensland and Walker was on the cusp of defecting in 2003 after meeting then Waratahs coach Bob Dwyer, before South Sydney lured him with a big-money deal.

As he prepares for tomorrow night's match with the Dragons, Walker said he would be happy to talk to any rugby province interested in him - including the Queensland Reds.

"My manager mentioned there was interest in England, but there is a third option I'm considering. I'm definitely looking at rugby,'' Walker said. "I'm not just saying that to try to get my market value up in league because the Titans have made their offer and they've made it clear they aren't moving on it.

"If they (Australian Rugby Union) offered me a contract, I'd definitely look at it. I have a keen interest in the game and there is some union blood in the family, with my uncle having played rugby for Queensland."

"If I have to leave, it would be disappointing because I've loved my time here at the Titans and they've done a lot for me off the field. But I'll accept any challenge with open arms.''

The Titans have shown enormous faith in Walker. Two years ago, the club financed his rehabilitation after a much-publicised battle with alcoholism and depression.

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle is keen to retain Walker for 2010, but the club's one-year offer, worth about $120,000 a season, is dwarfed by the winger's earning potential in rugby and overseas.

Walker is confident he would be a hit in the rival code, saying he could play top-level football for another five years.

http://www.news.com.au/

Walker hopes `that' try will save his Titans contract
    Pat McLeod

CHRIS Walker hopes Saturday night's miracle try helps keep him a Titan, but the bloke framing that contract says the matchwinner kept the flyer out of reserve grade.

"That was one of the tries of the year, but the two knock-ons earlier didn't help us," said club managing director Michael Searle.

"He told me in the sheds after the game `I would have been playing for Ipswich if I had not scored that try'. And I said: `yes, you would have'."

Searle was referring to two Walker knock-ons earlier in the game. However those mistakes were instantly forgotten with his heroics in the final seconds.

With millimetres to spare Walker squeezed inside the corner post to plant the ball and deliver the Titans victory.

Although admitting he was 'filthy' at the two errors, Walker has a different opinion on his hold on first grade to his club boss.

"Definitely not. No I don't think I would have been dropped," he said.

"Considering my form this year I don't think a mistake like that warrants me going back to Queensland Cup. There was even talk of me being in contention for State of Origin.

"You can't go back to Queensland Cup that easy.

"I don't think Carty (coach John Cartwright) would drop me back.

"My form 11 games into a comeback has been pretty remarkable. I don't feel the pressure of anyone taking my spot."

Walker's and Searle's differing opinions on his first grade security most likely stem as much from contract negotiations as from the repercussions on-field errors.

The 29-year-old is considering a $200,000-a-year, two-year contract in England or staying put for far less money and a one-year-deal with the Titans.

Both Searle and Cartwright would love Walker to stay with the Titans, but the club boss is also renowned as a tough negotiator, who, under the constraints of the salary cap, hands out every dollar as if it was his last.

"That try will not change contract negotiations at all," he said.

"We don't judge players on one game. There is a far broader spectrum of issues that come into a decision."

Walker, who says he will make a call over his future by the end of July, was hoping that try would release the purse strings a little.

"It would be nice to think they (the Titans) would up the ante, but that is a question you would have to put to Searley," he said. "I just hope they see the importance of what I bring to the team."

There is no doubting Walker's popularity with the fans and teammates, which has been hard-won after his comeback this season from two snapped achilles, and the increasing touches of brilliance.

And, according to the NRL veteran, things are only going to get better.

"Eleven games into my comeback and already people are talking Origin. Imagine having a full season under my belt, I would be right in contention," he said.

TEENAGE Titan James Ryan faces up to two weeks out after he was hit with a Grade 2 dangerous contact charge during the under-20 side's 34-22 win over the Sydney Roosters.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

I agree one swallow doesn't make a summer but it's great to see Chris Walker talk himself up. Well done on a fantastic return to first grade footy.

I also think those pink footies have been going haywire all weekend, so two errors in those conditions isn't the end of the world.

Hopefully he will make up for them and be more consistant against the Warriors. But he certainly has that game winning X factor!

Default Sign him up

Wouldn't it be nice if the Titans could sign him up for another two years. He has matured into a very nice genuine person. Perhaps they could also give him employment within the junior ranks to help supplement his income. I believe he is a terrific asset to the club and the Titans can only be better off with his involvement. Come on Titans, give him a future.

PS: Even the 'so called' best of the game knock on and make mistakes.

My God, I have just realised I have repeated myself lol. (sorry)