Default Panthers: We want Campese

Penrith plan to axe six players to ake way for Terry Campese
    By Dean Ritchie | April 17, 2009

Penrith are poised to axe six first-grade players to make a full-blown tilt at Canberra star Terry Campese.

The Daily Telegraph reports the Panthers are preparing to offer $350,000 a year for Campese, who comes off contract at Canberra at the end of next season.

The news comes as Penrith prepare to play Brisbane in front of an expected 18,000 fans at CUA Stadium, where they will come up against a player they let leave in NSW Origin half Peter Wallace.

It is understood the players under pressure at Penrith are Keith Peters, Matthew Bell, Maurice Blair, Junior Moors, Joel Romelo and Andrew Emelio. They have played a combined 142 NRL games.

It is understood cutting the six players would save Penrith between $500,000 and $600,000, with a large portion of that money to be directed at Campese.

Panthers chief executive Mick Leary was reluctant to discuss player movement but did confirm an interest in Campese.

"We'll certainly be looking at Terry," Leary said. "He is a very good player. He has great vision, he runs and he's a tryscorer. He's the complete footballer."

Penrith officials are also keen to watch the development of young Wade Graham, chosen at five-eighth to mark Broncos champion Darren Lockyer on Friday night.

A source close to Campese described Canberra's initial offer as "insulting" for a playmaker who last year won World Cup selection and is the NRL's in-form player.

However, Raiders chairman John McIntyre said Canberra were hell-bent on retaining Campese.

"We're confident we will keep him," McIntyre said. "Terry is a Queanbeyan boy. He is a rare talent you develop and you don't want to lose. He's our No.1 priority."

Campese and his manager Jim Banaghan were unavailable for comment.

Penrith's plans developed further with news that prop Petero Civoniceva, who turns 33 next week, will remain at the club in 2010. The Panthers took up the third-year option on his contract.

Civoniceva will line up against his former side Brisbane and will have a huge bearing on the result.

"He is someone who has had a massive influence on the club, both on and off the field," Penrith coach Matt Elliott said.

"He has certainly showed that he can contribute to the club in a lot of ways. I have run out of accolades for him."

Leary said Friday night's match will be a defining moment in his club's season.

"I think this match will determine how we go in 2009," he said. "It will give us a good benchmark as to where we stand."

The Daily Telegraph

as a person who grew up in Penrith I hope they get him. he's a quality number 6 and will create the stability and consistancy in the halves they have been crying out for

I really hope they pull this move off

Surely Canberra won't lose him. The NRL competition needs a strong Canberra Raiders.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Surely Canberra won't lose him. The NRL competition needs a strong Canberra Raiders.
    It also needs a strong Penrith panthers. This club has the biggest junior rugby league base in the world and it needs a winning top grade team

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    It also needs a strong Penrith panthers. This club has the biggest junior rugby league base in the world and it needs a winning top grade team
    Well if they have the biggest junior rugby league base in the world, surely they have no need to poach talent from Canberra.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

hardly poaching to go after ONE marquee player to build your future around,is it??? especially a team in a rebuilding stage like Penrith and especially when they have NO halves at all at the moment

and you didn't seem to mind us "poaching" Zillman from them,right?
    Last edited by Paul; 19-04-09 at 02:07 AM.

i hope the Pennies get him....

campese seems like a pretty decent bloke (excuse my 'campos a wanker' chant last night, it was just to put him off + sounded cool....lol)
    and a genius on field.......NSW #6 for sure!

i would rather have a strong Penrith team than raiders.....its not like we'll lose fans in canberra, theres nothing else to do but go to the footy......

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

LOL adam

I'm with you on the SOO #6 jersey,If he loses out to that bignosed wanker anasta for the 5/8th spot it'll be simply handing the series back to queensland

I think he's a fantastic player and any NRL club would be lucky to have him,I joined in on those chants last night mainly because I thought he was acting like a twat on the field but he is absolute quality and will be an aussie rep for a long time I think. I'm glad to hear Dee say he was a good bloke after the game so what happens on the field,stays on the field.

and you didn't seem to mind us "poaching" Zillman from them,right?
    Zillman wasn't poached, he was brought home
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Don't worry, Paul. As much as Brad claims to be a fan of rugby league, he wants the Panthers gone and the nursery handed to the AFL's western Sydney push.

Hey, they poached Brad Drew a few years back, Panthers can poach one of theirs.

Drew was playing for Parra at the time
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Drew was playing for Parra at the time
    Just shows how cunning they were.

And I believe it was DIEHARD who said recently on the forum not to let the facts get in the way of a good story.