Default Carty: Preston for Origin

Coach demands Origin call for Preston Campbell
    Matt Marshall | April 13, 2009 12:00am

GOLD Coast Titans coach John Cartwright has implored NSW selectors to look beyond size and stop shunning Preston Campbell for State of Origin. Cartwright, a former Blues hard man, has advised Craig Bellamy's selection panel to take a leaf out of Queensland's book and pick players "tailor-made for Origin" in 2009, such as the Gold Coast's pint-sized custodian.

Campbell has proved the most potent attacking weapon in the opening five rounds of the NRL, including a game-turning try assist for Nathan Friend in the Titans' gritty 14-10 derby win over North Queensland on Saturday night.< br />
    "Origin is a different type of game, Queensland have never worried about picking size, they go for a type of player," Cartwright said.

"Guys like Preston, and (Raiders skipper) Alan Tongue, they're made for State of Origin. NSW still haven't got that point as far as selection goes.

"There's nothing in the game Preston can't do. Without knowing his childhood I can just tell he's had a football in his hand since he was two or three years old. Things on the football field just come naturally to him.

He takes the right option almost every time.

"As a bench option he can play fullback, half, five-eighth, hooker - I'd play him in the front row if I had to - he's a rare, rare player."

While Campbell's attacking prowess is well known it was his one-on-one defence in Townsville, including a goal-line try-saver on NSW back row candidate Luke O'Donnell, that highlighted the 31-year-old's Origin claims.

The recurring "too small" argument has proven the most misguided line of reasoning in Origin history.

Several Maroons legends have endured public question marks over their stature before etching their names in Origin folklore - including 34-game No.7 Allan Langer, 1995 series-winning captain Trevor Gillmeister and 2005 Origin I hero Matt Bowen.

"If I listened to that stuff I would never have played footy, even my old man thought I was too small to play," Campbell said.

"Unless they throw you in, they're not going to know.

"I've been lucky to play at clubs that did have faith in me. All you ask for is your team and coach to show faith in you. You want to repay them."

Last year Campbell declared himself ineligible for NSW honours after being stung by his omission from NSW Country. But yesterday he revealed he is still available and would view a belated Blues call-up as "one of the proudest moments of my career".

Blues coach Craig Bellamy knows what Campbell can offer, having coached him during his three Country appearances in 2005-07.

"I probably could offer something there but they generally go for youth," Campbell said.

"I'm not holding out any hope but you never know, players like Alfie Langer came out of retirement and really killed it. I obviously get disappointed. I want to play rep footy."

The argument Campbell is too small for Origin football is easily quashed.

The Titans fullback is regarded by his peers as among the toughest players, pound-for-pound, in the NRL.

It was a pedigree publicly illuminated last August when he played over an hour of a best-on-ground performance against the Broncos with a broken jaw.

"He gets the guys up, on the back of what he does, his heroics are just fantastic," Friend said.

"It inspires guys."

The Courier Mail

He'd have 15 games under his belt by now if he was a queenslander. Berrigan played HB for QLD one year before we had the riches we do now, Campbell would have been a godsend back then, but NSW don't know a good thing when they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by kwigibo View Post
    He'd have 15 games under his belt by now if he was a queenslander. Berrigan played HB for QLD one year before we had the riches we do now, Campbell would have been a godsend back then, but NSW don't know a good thing when they have it.
    Yea tell me about it, I will never forget those years. I hope we never go back.

Preston would be awesome in Origin, he really deserves the honour, on both merit and form.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

More Preston Campbell magic on cards

Luke Turgeon

April 13th, 2009

ELUSIVE Titans veteran Preston Campbell looks set to sidestep retirement, saying he feels like he could play on for another 10 years.

Fresh from another match-winning performance against the Cowboys on Saturday night and in career-best form, the evergreen 31-year-old revealed yesterday that he was leaning towards returning for a 13th season of NRL.

"At the moment, if I knew I was going to feel like this all year, I would re-sign for another 10 years," quipped Campbell. "I am feeling really good at the moment."

Off-contract at the end of this season, Campbell is yet to make a decision on his future.

"I am just taking everything week by week now, just going with the flow," he said.

"It depends on how the body is going.

"At the moment it is feeling great.

"If I am good enough and still got something to offer, I will definitely be hanging around."

Campbell overcame a calf injury to play a major role in Saturday's 14-10 win in Townsville, the Titans' second consecutive away win.

Wearing the unfamiliar No.23 jumper, the headgear-wearing wizard started at fullback before shifting to five-eighth when Mat Rogers was forced from the field with a head wound.

He set up the Gold Coast's first try to Nathan Friend with a superb piece of playmaking, while his short goal-line drop-out and re-gather in the 50th minute showcased the spontaneity and flair that makes him one of the game's most electric players.

But it was Campbell's defence that was the standout.

A week after chopping down towering Melbourne Storm pivot Greg Inglis like a giant gum tree, he produced another memorable tackle to cut Cowboys enforcer Carl Webb in half.

"He's just that X-factor," said Titans coach John Cartwright.

"He keeps surprising not only with the ball but his kicking game as well ... and also his defence.

"Big fellas just keep going at him on our line, and he just puts his head on the line. It's hard to put into words how courageous that boy is.

Titans managing director Michael Searle yesterday reiterated his promise that he would leave money in the salary cap for 2010 if Campbell wanted to continue, an unprecedented offer in the NRL.

"The more he touches the ball the better we are I think," said Searle.

"That try he set up for Nathan Friend was like watching an artist at work. He took the foot off the throttle, eased it back, sped up again to confuse (Cowboys fullback) Matty Bowen and then just popped a perfect ball to Friendy.

"There is a buffer in our cap for him.

"At the moment he is our best (fullback)."

"He will be with our club for the next 20 years. The only choice next year will be if he plays for us, or he works for us as an ambassador."

Campbell is mindful of not standing in the way of new talent, with the likes of youngsters Shannon Walker and William Zillman surging through the ranks. But as long as Campbell is top dog at the Titans, he should continue playing.

"It is not just about me or one player, it is about the club. I have always been about what is best for the club," said Campbell.

from gc.com.au

I've been calling for it since he was at Penrith.
    The too small thing is a load of crap. Fact is, the small players play against huge guys every weekend.

Preston's defence at Penrith only became a problem when Lang was given the boot and the new coach decided he was a liability up the middle and moved him to an unfamiliar position. Those tackles we're seeing him make, he's always made them. I'm sure DIEHARD is sick of hearing about the Panthers game against the Broncos where Tallis ran at him and Preston put him on his **** 1 on 1.

I think the first new selections for the NSW team is a new panel of selectors. They're the biggest liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I've been calling for it since he was at Penrith.
    The too small thing is a load of crap. Fact is, the small players play against huge guys every weekend.

Preston's defence at Penrith only became a problem when Lang was given the boot and the new coach decided he was a liability up the middle and moved him to an unfamiliar position. Those tackles we're seeing him make, he's always made them. I'm sure DIEHARD is sick of hearing about the Panthers game against the Broncos where Tallis ran at him and Preston put him on his **** 1 on 1.

I think the first new selections for the NSW team is a new panel of selectors. They're the biggest liability.

The only reason they won't pick him is if they pick Stewart at fullback then put Gidley on the bench then he wouldn't get a look in

Look at another player that should play Origin like the current Best no9 in the comp, Friend, but he won't get a look in
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post

The only reason they won't pick him is if they pick Stewart at fullback then put Gidley on the bench then he wouldn't get a look in

Look at another player that should play Origin like the current Best no9 in the comp, Friend, but he won't get a look in
    This is definitely a problem. Stewart and Gidley are both great players too. Gidley is as versatile as Preston too.
    They've got to consider Luke Lewis as a utility too I think.

Preston could always play halfback.
    It'll probably be Wallace (in which case Qld wins again) or Pearce. Nevermind the 2008 Dally M player of the year is a NSW halfback and also took his team to a grand final win. He won't get a look in.
    Campese and Soward are probably the form 5/8s in the comp, and another position Gidley will be considered in.

they'll do the usual and pick Anasta at 5/8 even though Campese should be there in the 6.

The NSW selectors are so boringly predictable they basically hand the series to QLD before a ball has been kicked

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    they'll do the usual and pick Anasta at 5/8 even though Campese should be there in the 6.

The NSW selectors are so boringly predictable they basically hand the series to QLD before a ball has been kicked
    so very very true.... 4-in-a-row
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by daveyk View Post
    so very very true.... 4-in-a-row
    And 4 more.

Nah, Locky's getting old and Thursto is hot and cold as is every second maroon this year, I can see it going back south if Prince doesn't play.

Preston should have been picked years ago. And he still should be. No player deserves a call-up more.

Anasta has to be the most frustrating player ever for NSW fans. His club form generally warrants selection, yet when he pulls on the sky blue jumper, he turns to crap. He might be useful as a lock, but I'd rather a bloke like Alan Tongue getting a go, another player who thoroughly deserves an overdue call-up.
    Go the Steelers, Dragons, Titans, West Coast Eagles, Swannies, Sydney FC, Man United, Wollongong Hawks, Blues (league and cricket) , Waratahs, Sydney Flames, Sydney Swifts, HRT, MacLaren, and whoever's playing the All Blacks or England!

R.I.P. Brocky