Default Shane Webcke quits as Brisbane Broncos assistant coach

Shane Webcke quits as Brisbane Broncos assistant coach
    Karl deKroo and Barry Dick | April 06, 2009 11:50am

BRONCOS legend Shane Webcke has quit the club's coaching staff just days after publishing a controversial tell-all book.

In his book Hard Road, Webcke was critical of the club's handling of the sexual assault allegations levelled against star players Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday and Darius Boyd last year.

Webcke was due to meet Thaiday and Hunt today to explain his views and reasons for airing them in his book.
    In a statement just released by the Broncos on Webcke's behalf he says:

"It is with sincere regret that I today resign from the position of assistant coach with the Brisbane Broncos.

"It is a position that I have cherished, however in light of my actions surrounding the publishing of my book and some of the content contained within, I feel it is inappropriate for me to retain the role.
    Related Links

"I have visited undue stress and attention on the playing and coaching staff at a time when all energies should be focused upon preparation for upcoming matches, rather than wasted on events of the past.

"I am truly sorry, and in acknowledging my distinct error in judgment, I feel the price I must pay is to relinquish the privilege that it is to work with the Broncos squad.

"In no way have the Broncos administration, coaching or playing staff pressured me into this decision, it has been of my own making.

"And given my recent public comments about suffering the consequences of our actions, I feel it would hypocritical of me in the extreme not to heed my own advice.

"I will continue working for the Broncos on the corporate side of things and remain committed and loyal to the club. I remain an ardent supporter of the team itself and feel sure that 2009 will be again a winning season.

"My apologies to all Broncos supporters for dredging up events that should be consigned to history.

Webcke's role with the Broncos this year has been as a one-day-a-week forwards' consultant. He does some corporate work for the club and works fulltime for Channel Seven.

Two weeks ago, only nine days before it was due out, he told publishers Pan Macmillan he did not want his third book, Hard Road, to be released.

He paid what is believed to be $140,000 to buy back the copyright for the book in an attempt to stop its release.

The next day, after excerpts had been published in newspapers, he changed his mind.

"It's all out there now, what's the point of not releasing the book," he said.

"Call me naive, call me stupid, but I really thought I could stop the book."

Webcke got cold feet about Hard Road after re-reading a chapter titled "Broncos Behaving Badly", in which he was highly criticial of Hunt, Thaiday and Boyd and the club's decision to allow them to play in the semi-final against Melbourne last September.

"The three players should not have been allowed to play . . . the majority of ordinary, decent people who make up our community would have supported such a stance and would have admired the Broncos for taking it," he wrote.

Webcke said it was the first time in his life he had been to a Broncos game "not really caring if they won or not".

Courier Mail

Thanks for the memories Webbie. He is a man of principles and a man who will always follow through with what he says. Good on him. The NRL needs more people of Webke's calibre in the game and behind the scenes. So will he go back to he's pub in Leyburn or pursue a fulltime career at channel 7? I think he is going to get a fulltime gig at 7 presenting the sports reports, to take on Wally at Nine.

If nothing else he will sell a huge amount of his new book & i look forward to reading it
    #itaintweaktospeak

Shame to hear. Shane is a 100% Broncos man and I think they would only be the better to have him on board.

Shane is a great rugby league man and an intelligent and passionate man.

Broncos or not, he will go on to great things. And don't worry Shane we still love you.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Anyone think he was maybe 'pushed'...?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathalie View Post
    Anyone think he was maybe 'pushed'...?
    Nah, he just wanted more headlines for his book. Probably has a job lined up in the media somewhere.

Just playing devil's advocate