Default Too much life left in Presto to hang up the headgear

Too much life left in Presto to hang up the headgear

AGE-defying Gold Coast Titans star Preston Campbell has been urged to shelve any retirement thoughts after his electrifying start to 2009.

Off contract at the end of this year, 31-year-old Campbell is weighing up whether to hang up his trademark headgear or kick on for his 13th season in the NRL.

The match-winning playmaker has been in sensational form throughout the first three rounds, and spearheaded the Titans to a gutsy 20-12 win over the Bulldogs last Friday night in the absence of skipper Scott Prince.

Campbell's long-time friend and ex-NRL hardman Scott Sattler yesterday declared his little mate was in career-best form and he would love to see him continue.

"Preston Campbell hasn't changed since he won the Dally M in 2001," said Sattler.

"He is playing the same football, still as nimble as ever, still as tough as when he first hit the scene.

"As a rugby league fan, I would love them to put Preston in a time capsule, stagnate his age and get him to keep playing forever. I would love to see him continue playing."

The Titans foundation football manager, Sattler was playing for the Gold Coast when a pint-sized indigenous kid from Tingha made his first grade debut on the wing for the Chargers in 1998.

Years later they would combine again to win the NRL premiership with Penrith in 2003.

The former teammates have had a couple of chats about Campbell's future, Sattler simply offering the advice that 'you will know when it is the right time.'

"I remember the exact time when I knew it was time to retire and Presto will know within himself," said Sattler, who gave it away in 2004. "It hasn't got as much to do with the way he is playing as by the way he is feeling throughout the week. For 10 and a half months of the year, physically, you are putting yourself through a fair bit of torture.

"I knew when it was the right time for me.

"We were playing against Melbourne at Leichardt Oval and I was running back into the defensive line and my knee locked up.

"I hit the ground like a sniper shot me.

"After the game I was driving home with an ice pack on my knee and I thought, 'that is it, I can't play any more'.

"I had another year to run and I was playing some of the best footy of my career. But I was having to suffer through the week just to get on the field."

The decision whether or not to retire at season's end has been left entirely up to Campbell, with the Titans stating publicly they will leave room in the salary cap for another contract if he wants to continue playing.

"The thing about Preston is he won't hang around if he thinks he is keeping a younger player out," said Sattler.

"But he is still one of the first players picked.

"When he does eventually decide to retire, Preston is the sort of guy that he would just walk into John Cartwright and Michael Searle's office and say something like 'I am just letting you know I won't be playing next year'.

"He won't call any big meeting, he won't want to do a press release. He will just walk in and call it a day -- that is the way he is."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Preston has been amazing so far in 2009 and we are really depending on him at the moment more than usual. I hope to see him play on in 2010!

We love you Preston! There is definitely a major place for you in the Titans team in 2010. He is our heart and soul. And as Scott Sattler said, in career best form. A decision won't come from him until much later in the season but luckily with the Titan promise to leave room in their roster, the pressure is off Preston.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

We'll get a Premiership before he leaves, hes got another 2-3 good years in him.......
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

id like to see him make it a 15 year carreer, and i believe he still has what it takes to compete at the top, even if the last year or 2 is spent on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    We'll get a Premiership before he leaves, hes got another 2-3 good years in him.......
    Oh yes! You nailed it Ryan! Preston needs to retire on a Premiership! Maybe two! That would be one of those fairytales like Glenn Lazarus, Kevin Walters, Terry Lamb or Shane Webcke. (Yes I know a couple of those players returned, but you know what I mean.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I only hope he doesn't retire after winning this years Premiership
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I only hope he doesn't retire after winning this years Premiership
    Right on brother!