Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Brett Stewart suspended and Manly fined by the NRL over sexual assault
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25170949-23214,00.html
    March 11, 2009

Manly full-back Brett Stewart has been suspended by the NRL until round five over the sexual assault charges that have been laid against him.

The 24-year-old was banned under the NRL code of conduct in a decision that was given the full support of an angry NRL board when they discussed the issue via a phone hook up.

The NRL say that their actions are in no way related to any matter being investigated by police.

In a lengthy meeting at NRL headquarters between league officials and Sea Eagles co-owner Scott Penn and chief executive Grant Mayer, the club was also fined $100,000.

Stewart is due in court on April 7, after the fourth round of the 2009 season, to face charges relating to the sexual assault of a 17-year-old girl.

The talks followed the Manly board's insistence that Stewart would play in this weekend's season opener against the Bulldogs.

The Sea Eagles are also in the spotlight for Anthony Watmough's behaviour after the forward was involved in an altercation with a club sponsor at last Friday's controversial season launch.

Stewart was the face of the NRL's $1.5 million 2009 season marketing campaign, which has had to be edited.

"Brett could not have been in a more high profile position of trust for the game on the eve of a season than he was last week and we believe he should have recognised the honour that he was given and the responsibility that went with it," said NRL chief executive David Gallop.

"By any estimation there was an abuse of alcohol in the aftermath of a club function that has led in some parts to the game being placed under enormous pressure.

"The players and the clubs need to know that we are not going to accept that.

"The Manly club has today delivered its report into the function and the measures simply weren't sufficient to stop drinking getting out of hand in the case of some of the players."

Stewart and Manly have five days to respond after receiving the formal breach notice with the option to take the matters to the NRL Appeals Committee.

Meanwhile, the Rugby League Players' Association has condemned the NRL's move to stand down Stewart, saying they support his right to continue playing football while his criminal proceedings are going through the courts.

"The Rugby League Players Associations (RLPA) position has always been to support the rights of its Members and as a general rule, a player should not be stood down from playing and fulfilling his contractual commitments to his club because he has been charged with a criminal offence, particularly where the player has indicated that he will defend the charge," said RLPA managing director Matt Rodwell in a statement.

"A player like any other person in the community is entitled to the presumption of innocence - the basis of the judicial system in Australia."
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

I think the right decision has been made here, it was going to hype the whole thing up further and further if stewart was to play through this process, court cases etc. And spare a thought for the manly sponsors who pay millions of dollars a year to have stewart run out with their logo on his chest. No sponsor wants to see that and at least the NRL has taken the decision out of the clubs hands.

And before anyone brings it up I also think the Broncos players from last year should have been stood down as well had they been charged. Allegations are one thing... hell I could aledge right now that I was asulted by the pope or queen or something and that doesn't mean anything... however once the police investigate and decide you have a case that deserves going to court well that means there is some serious evidense behind your claim.
    BRISBANE BRONCOS PREMIERS '92 '93 '97 '98 '00 '06 '09

I expected Manly to cop a fine as the Bulldogs did a few years back but i didn't expect them to suspend Stewart........there will be a lot of market price changes before the season even kicks off......
    #itaintweaktospeak

hahaha i keep forgetting that titans pete is an ex manly man.....lol

why stewart......this entire season is marketed on his face and the whole brothers playing footy thing.....

so now they have to re-do the ad and evrything.....

way to let the game down brett......

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

As far as we know, all he did was tackle a women when he was drunk - hence the reason "he needed to be pulled off her". I think the term 'sexual assault' makes it sound much worse than it is. Unless he groped her in process of tackling her, I don't think he deserves to lose any game time over it.

It was just a knee-jerk reaction from the NRL wanting to look tough ahead of the new season. Once again, we can reffer back to Laffranchi's case - he never missed a match on a much more serious charge.

Did Stewarts 'victim' even attain any injuries? It's not like she has a patch over her eye or anything............
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Junior Titan

Exclamation hmmm

stuwart faced his sexual assault charge today and when the judge asked him why he did it?

brett simply replied, " your hounor i just miss the beaver "

Quote Originally Posted by mateiu View Post
    stuwart faced his sexual assault charge today and when the judge asked him why he did it?

brett simply replied, " your hounor i just miss the beaver "
    Not bad & worth a laugh
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    As far as we know, all he did was tackle a women when he was drunk - hence the reason "he needed to be pulled off her". I think the term 'sexual assault' makes it sound much worse than it is. Unless he groped her in process of tackling her, I don't think he deserves to lose any game time over it.

It was just a knee-jerk reaction from the NRL wanting to look tough ahead of the new season. Once again, we can reffer back to Laffranchi's case - he never missed a match on a much more serious charge.

Did Stewarts 'victim' even attain any injuries? It's not like she has a patch over her eye or anything............
    Disregarding the facts which will have to be argued in court the basic points which I think have been confirmed from all involved is that he got himself completly wasted during and after a club function. Got so pissed he had to be removed from at least one premisis and then by all acounts acted in a pretty ordinary mannor. Considering his state at the time anything could have happened and he probebly would have a hazy recolection at best. He has put himself in a very ordinary situation and its a lesson we can all learn from... alcohol isn't a toy its all good and well to have a couple drinks but to write yourself off in public is simply leaving yourself open to trouble.
    BRISBANE BRONCOS PREMIERS '92 '93 '97 '98 '00 '06 '09

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    hahaha i keep forgetting that titans pete is an ex manly man.....lol

why stewart......this entire season is marketed on his face and the whole brothers playing footy thing.....

so now they have to re-do the ad and evrything.....

way to let the game down brett......
    So because Stewart is the NRL's face of the game he's suspended for bringing the game into disrepute not for any charges he is facing so where was DAVID GALLOP last year when the Bronco's had 4 players including *edit* who were all facing possible Assault & Sexual charges :dizzy: or is that different because one is a protected species
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 12-03-09 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Rumour removed
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

If it was just a tackel why did she have to go and give DNA test.... Thats wat was said on the radio this morning and last night

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    So because Stewart is the NRL's face of the game he's suspended for bringing the game into disrepute not for any charges he is facing so where was DAVID GALLOP last year when the Bronco's had 4 players *EDIT* who were all facing possible Assault & Sexual charges :dizzy: or is that different because one is a protected species
    also add to that there was video footage of drug use......

like i have said before.... if it leads to a police investigation... you should be stood down until further notice... it seems that things are getting worse theses days... thats why the nrl need to take a strong stand now before everything goes beyond the point of no return
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 12-03-09 at 11:51 AM.
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

I'll set the scene

I'm at work,a news story comes on the TV and shows the girl he "allegedly" assaulted running to her car and this old woman in my work about 60 years old turns and says

"eww,who'd wanna root that?"

oh we lol'd

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    So because Stewart is the NRL's face of the game he's suspended for bringing the game into disrepute not for any charges he is facing so where was DAVID GALLOP last year when the Bronco's had 4 players including the Qld & Australian Captain who were all facing possible Assault & Sexual charges :dizzy: or is that different because one is a protected species
    Come on Pete we all know the Bonco's get what they want. Look at all the Friday Night games.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Ok watching chennel 7 and the ads in between Today-Tonight was the NRL ad and YES it was Brett S i couldnt belive my eyes but it was there

it was said in the news that he will edited out of it and they will be back on air as of tomorrow night
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .