Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

good to see 30 full of legion home support only 1 newcastle supporter in the bay that i could see,he went silent fairly quickly but to his credit he was applauding titans try's

We made the front page of the Gold Coast Bulletin website!

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Titans hottest ticket in town

Gold Coast Titans rugby league team turned up the heat on the Knights, while the faithful Blue Army of fans turned up the heat in the stands. See the gallery of fan pictures and on-field action.

THE Gold Coast Titans and Newcastle Knights rugby league teams last night both questioned the logic of playing 1pm NRL games in Queensland after the two teams battled through energy sapping 30C heat at a sun-drenched Skilled Park.

The Titans 34-20 win developed into the battle of the little men as the forwards struggled to cope in the oppressive conditions.

Officials said 16,203 turned up for the season opener, many of whom sat uncomfortably in the sun, while the rest of the Gold Coast packed the beaches.

Less than an hour after the match, the Titans had been whisked to All Saints school to begin their recovery session in an ice bath.

The NRL ordered drinks breaks 20 minutes into each half to ensure players did not overheat.

Titans star Mat Rogers said conditions were among the hottest he had played in.

"It was probably the hottest I had felt on the field," he said.

"Those first 20 minutes when we didn't have the ball I was just trying to suck them in. I don't know how the boys were feeling in the middle (forwards), they deserve a medal."

The Titans trained in the heat in preparation for yesterday's come-from-behind victory, but coach John Cartwright said the time of the game was puzzling.

"It's a strange one to have a 1pm kick-off in Queensland and a late kick-off in Sydney," he said.

"You don't get many hot days in Sydney in autumn at 3pm.

"It's much more comfortable than a 1pm game in Queensland."

Cartwright said he would give his players a quiet week to recover from the tough match.

Newcastle coach Brian Smith agreed with Cartwright's assessment of the kick-off.

"I thought there was a rule the NRL had -- maybe they lost it somewhere along the line -- I thought there was a rule that in the first month in Queensland games are supposed to be at night," he said.

"Maybe its been abolished, I don't know."

Titans skipper Scott Prince said the conditions took him back to his childhood. "It reminded me of being back in Mt Isa," he said.

"I was hoping for a hot day and it turned out that way.

"Carty had us training for six weeks in the hot weather and prepared us well for that."

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

what a great day it was yesterday....

my voice has taken up official residency in section 30....
    i clearly dont have one today, my throat is soooo sore

the legion has grown so much, its great to see.

cant wait now until the 27th... bring on the dogs
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

can i just also add...

what a treat it was to have carty come over and say hello and press the flesh with the legion.... it was fantastic and hope it happens more often...

also great to have the U/20's come and say thanks... each one of them came down the fence hi fiving and slappin hands.

well done again to everyone
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

It was great yesterday its even better that if ur not a legion member u cant sit down in the area we sitt it makes the rest of the stand fill up its great than u dont get any drunken idoits trying to be cool with they **** and drunken school kids acts.....

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    We made the front page of the Gold Coast Bulletin website!

Titans hottest ticket in town

Gold Coast Titans rugby league team turned up the heat on the Knights, while the faithful Blue Army of fans turned up the heat in the stands. See the gallery of fan pictures and on-field action.

UMMMMMM.....BLUE ARMY???

dont know about you dirty QLDr's, but im not too happy with that tag.....and im a NSW fan and was painted blue!!......lol

WE ARE THE LEGION!!!!!

whats the go there?

oh and great thanks to all that filled Section 30 (and other stands aswell)
    to the under 20's boys who came over to celebrate their victory with us...
    and to carty for coming over to mingle for a bit....

great day had by all i hope..............

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Blue Army is only a generic or colloquial name for fans of the Titans. This was an article that was about Titans fans on a whole and not about The Legion supporter group. It's just the nature of newspaper headlines to be as short and as meaningful to as many people as possible. And it's pretty common to call supporters of teams the insert colour army. It's all good.

I want to see Titans fans promoted across the board.

But back to the games, how good was it. And how good was it to be back in Section 30 and have so many new recruits! Nearly all the seats in our area full of blue, gold and white and only one Knights fan who I think came with two Titans fans anyway. Good to hear he applauded some great rugby league tries by us, that's great sportsmanship.

Thanks to our great coach John Cartwright for coming over and saying hello and shaking the hands of fans. Also to the Toyota Cup team for all coming over and shaking hands with us. I bet having us there really makes it special during the Under 20s game. There aren't many people there at that stage of the day, but we echo even better in an emptier stadium.

And well done to the Titans players for making their way around the entire stadium thanking all the loyal fans. I haven't seen that before and the fans loved it, it was very well received from all the Titans fans I have been talking to.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Awesome pics and once again, it was great to join the Legion family yesterday.

Congratulations to the Under 20s, Johnny Cartwright and the first grade players for making the effort to come around and say hello to all the supporters after the game!

Keep up the great work Legion!

See you again soon!