Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

This is pretty much the full strength squad to open the NRL season. Not a bad side imo.

Titans trio touch down in Top End

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans players Brad Meyers and David Mead, along with assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister have touched down in Darwin a day ahead of their Titans teammates.

The trio met with Minister for Regional Development & Minister for Sport and Recreation, Mr Karl Rio Hampton MLA and members of the Northern Territory Titans under-16 rugby league team before setting out on a tough training session in oppressively humid conditions, with Gillmeister making sure his charges don?t miss any crucial training sessions ahead of Saturday night?ss NRL trial against Cronulla.

Gillmeister said sports fans in the north deserved to see more quality NRL matches and is hopeful the Titans can make the Northern Territory pilgrimage an annual event.

Gillmeister said, ?Just meeting the young Territory Titans players here today and everyone we have met since we touched down are so excited about Saturday?s game and I am really pleased that the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will provide them with a top notch squad containing some of rugby league?s most exciting players.?

?I have been up to Darwin quite a few times and I would love to see the Titans and the NT Government reach an agreement which resulted in the Titans playing a trial in the Top End each year.?

After impressing against Brisbane during last weekends opening season trial, Brad Meyers is looking forward to playing more valuable pre-season minutes against the Sharks on Saturday.

Meyers said, ?It was good to finally blow the cobwebs out last week, I know the young guys were itching to get out on the field after a really tough pre-season and I am sure the Titans more established players will be feeling exactly the same ahead of the Cronulla encounter.?

When quizzed on his goals for the 2009 season, Meyers echoed the sentiments of the entire first grade squad when he targeted an historic finals appearance, also suggesting there was still a strong desire to play at State level again.

?On a personal level I am really looking forward to the year ahead, my 2008 campaign was cut short with injury and if I can stay fit and play at the standard I know I am capable of and do a good job for Carty (John Cartwright) and the Titans, then yes I would love to play State Of Origin again.?

The remainder of the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans squad arrive in Darwin at 12.00pm tomorrow.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Rogers excited to return to Darwin

Mat Rogers remembers Darwin as the place where a starry-eyed teenager once watched the Canterbury Bulldogs in a rare game of top-level rugby league in the Top End.

On Saturday night, the 33-year-old veteran will return to Darwin ? this time as one of the star attractions when the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans take on Cronulla in a pre-season trial match at Richardson Park.

?I remember as a kid that Canterbury went up there and played a game so it was very exciting for me as a youngster to see the NRL players come to town,?? said Rogers.

?To be able to be one of those players going back at a later date is pretty exciting, I know what a thrill it was for me, so I?m really looking forward to going up there and seeing a lot of the kids.??

Rogers? association with Darwin came about through his late father Steve, who was the CEO of the Darwin Rugby League during the early to mid 1990s.

His parents lived there for several years while he attended boarding school.

?My parents lived there so I?m looking forward to getting up there and having a game of footy and seeing some old friends,?? said Rogers.

?Rugby league has got a really strong following up there and the league went from strength to strength while dad was up there.

?I think he even coached the Nightcliffe Dragons to a premiership one year (1992) so it was exciting times.??

The dual-international, about to embark on his 15th season at the top, said he felt better than ever heading into his first hit-out for 2009.

?I think everyone?s pretty up-beat,?? said Rogers.

?It was funny, we were warming up yesterday and Mark Minichiello jumped out of his skin and said ?footy is around the corner?. It was like he was a big kid.

?We?ve been belting each other at training for so long, we?re looking forward to belting someone else in another coloured jersey.??

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Rogers feels pressure as rivals vie for selection

HE played 45 Tests for the Wallabies, made five State of Origin appearances for Queensland and boasts seven caps for the Kangaroos.

But Titans star Mat Rogers says the competition for Gold Coast positions is so intense heading into the club's second trial in Darwin that not even he feels safe.

Rogers will wear the No.6 jumper against his former club Cronulla on Saturday in the Northern Territory.

However, he believes he needs a big performance to ensure he keeps it.

"There are a lot of players putting their hands up for positions and everyone has got to make sure they are doing their best to hold their spots," said Rogers. "There are only two players in the squad that own their positions and that is Luke Bailey and Scott Prince."

Rogers has been given first crack at five-eighth by coach John Cartwright but he knows new recruit William Zillman and, to a lesser extent, under-20s star Jordan Rankin are poised to pounce.

At this stage, Zillman is tipped to start the NRL season in the centres.

"I am looking forward to running around with (Zillman), hopefully I can keep up," said Rogers. "He might be playing in my position, who knows?

"Everyone knows spots are up for grabs and we have got these young guys that for the past couple of months have gone from strength to strength.

"I watched them play on the weekend (in the club's first trial at Wynnum) and none of them looked out of place.

"Not even young Jordan Rankin, who is 17-years-old, looked out of place out there against the Broncos.

"There is no safety here and for a club to be strong, you need that.

"You need to know there are people knocking on the door and trying to get your position."

Rogers' parents lived in Darwin during the 1990s, where his late father Steve worked as a development officer for the ARL. He coached the Territory Titans representative side and local club Nightcliff Dragons to a premiership in 1992 before becoming CEO of Darwin Rugby League in 1995-96.

"It was exciting for me as a youngster to see the players come to town."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Zillman to start at full-back in Darwin

Preston Campbell rolls ankle, William Zillman stakes Gold Coast Titans claim

WILLIAM Zillman has the chance to stake his claim for the Gold Coast Titans full-back job, with regular No.1 Preston Campbell set to miss the entire trial program through an ankle injury.

Zillman, signed from Canberra in the off-season, will play full-back against Cronulla in Darwin on Saturday night, with Campbell left to work overtime to be fit for the round 1 NRL game against Newcastle at Skilled Park on March 15.

Australia forward Anthony Laffranchi will also miss the Darwin trial, with a hamstring injury robbing him of his only chance to refresh his renowned partnership with half-back Scott Prince before the start of the season.

Prince has been given permission to sit out the club's final trial against the Warriors in Lismore on Saturday week because of a long-standing personal commitment.

Laffranchi hopes to play in Lismore after the return flight to Darwin was regarded as too big a risk for the management of his hamstring problem.

Cartwright said last week that he believed Zillman, who played full-back for the Raiders before a knee injury brought his 2008 campaign to an end, had the ability to play for Australia.

The Titans, however, are also looking at him as a centre or five-eighth.

"William and Brad Meyers will come into the starting team (in Darwin) with Shannon Walker and Ian Donnelly added to our squad," Cartwright said.

"'Presto' rolled his ankle at training but we expect he will be right for the start of the season.

"I only intended giving Anthony and 'Princey' one trial anyway because of the amount of football they had last year with the World Cup."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

Titans down Sharks in Darwin

The Gold Coast Titans smashed the Cronulla Sharks 40-16 in their NRL trial match on Saturday night.

The Titans dominated the first two quarters at Darwin's steamy Richardson Park, retaining ball possession and slamming home the first two tries of the night.

Skipper Scott Prince engineered the Titan's attack and kicked six of seven goals while Mark Minichiello provided plenty of sting in defence, allowing the Queensland outfit to convincingly win by 24 points , with seven tries to three.

Prince headlined a host of stars, including veteran Matt Rogers, who showed attacking flair throughout the game despite the wet and slippery conditions.

Hard-running forward Minichiello scored the second try, coming from deep onto a short ball to break through Cronulla's lacklustre defence.

Corey Hughes set up the first try for the Sharks, providing a perfect inside ball to prop Kade Snowdon.

A sustained Titans attack resulted in the first try of the second quarter by Brett Delaney, while the Sharks lack of discipline ended in two penalties for the Titans and prop Ian Donnelly barging over the line.

A mistake from the Titans presented an opportunity for the Sharks to attack late in the second quarter, with hooker Corey Hughes scoring from dummy half on the final tackle.

Both teams retained possession well in the third quarter. A pin-point grubber kick from Blake Green led to the Shark's third try, with winger Dave Simmons pouncing on the ball just short of the dead ball line.

Ever the dominate force, the Titans hit back immediately with a try by Sam Tagataese.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

Great news & the most impressive part is there are no injurys , unlike 1 K.Hunt
    #itaintweaktospeak

Well done, that's a very convincing win, especially against a side hat defends like the Sharks. Did anyone from the forum go to this march?
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    Well done, that's a very convincing win, especially against a side hat defends like the Sharks. Did anyone from the forum go to this march?
    I think GCT_07 flew up for the game. Not sure if her sons went with her!

From the Sydney Newspaper The Daily Telegraph

GOLD COAST TITANS 40 CRONULLA SHARKS 16

TRENT Barrett's comeback to the NRL began with a rude awakening after Cronulla were last night thrashed by a classy Gold Coast outfit.
    In his first match in Australia for two years, the former Dragons star received a raucous cheer when he emerged from the tunnel in his new colours.

However, Barrett's much anticipated return failed to reach any great heights, playing just two 20-minute quarters and only offering fans a glimpse of his class.

The Sharks will need time for the new halves pairing of Barrett and rookie halfback Blake Green to take shape.

The Titans were in total contrast, clinical and dominant.

Scott Prince was outstanding in his first match since last year's World Cup.

The Sharks suffered a further blow with rising star Jason Bukuya carried from the field in the 60th minute with a serious ankle injury.

John Cartwright's focus on adding size across his squad was evident as the Gold Coast skipped out to a 12-0 lead, with tries to Luke O'Dwyer and Mark Minichiello.

The fact that three of their first four tries were scored by forwards gave locals an insight into the Titans' intentions this season.

Following a simple game plan, the Titans bustled Cronulla before their speed men capitalised.

A 32nd-minute try by talented winger Esi Tonga brought the locals to their feet.

Corey Hughes was outstanding in his debut for the Sharks.

Fulltime
    GOLD COAST 40 (S Tagataese L O'Dwyer M Minichiello B Delaney I Donnelly E Tonga J Graham tries S Prince 6 goals) bt CRONULLA 16 (K Snowdon C Hughes D Simmons tries M Brown 2 goals) at Richardson Park, Darwin. Crowd: Approx 9,173.

Hats off to the boys great win,other teams will have to take note as i don't think they were given full respect in the past

always good to shake the monkey and get a win

surprised there's not more people on here celebrating a bit, I know its only a trial but a wins a win. must be a bit quiet in forum town???

*insert vision of tumbleweed rolling past here*
    BRISBANE BRONCOS PREMIERS '92 '93 '97 '98 '00 '06 '09

tumbleweed.jpg

?????????????????????
    BRISBANE BRONCOS PREMIERS '92 '93 '97 '98 '00 '06 '09

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    always good to shake the monkey and get a win

surprised there's not more people on here celebrating a bit, I know its only a trial but a wins a win. must be a bit quiet in forum town???

*insert vision of tumbleweed rolling past here*
    I think a lot of people would have been out last night at Soundwave and Good Vibrations, still a bit early to be awake!

Good win, but lets be realistic, the Sharks were missing their all-star back row. No Paul Gallen, Anthony Tupou, Reni Maitua and Fraser Anderson - so theres a good reason why the scoreline blew out.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....