Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Trial 2: TITANS v SHARKS @ Darwin

TITANS v SHARKS

Richardson Park, Darwin

Saturday February 21

7:30pm Main Game - Jetstar Titans v Sharks

Tickets available through:

Darwin Entertainment Centre - Phone (08) 8980 3333
    Oasis News and Lotto - Shop 28 Oasis Shopping Centre, Chung Wah Tce, Palmerston NT or Phone (08) 8932 7877
    Tourism Top End - 6 Bennet Street, Darwin NT or Phone (08) 8980 6000

Adult
    $18 - General Entry
    $28 - Grandstand

Concession
    $9 - General Entry
    $14 - Grandstand

Child (5-16)
    $9 - General Entry
    $14 - Grandstand

Child (Under 5)
    FREE - General Entry
    $14 - Grandstand

Family (2 Adult/2 Child)
    $45 - Genral Entry
    $68 - Grandstand
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Carty was just on the GoldCoast news & said he will be naming a near full strength team to take on the Sharks & said it will be as close as possible to the team for round 1 match against the Knights, the only player in doubt is Presto so Zillman may get a shot at the 1 jersey with Matt White impressing on the weekend so he will partner Bull in the front row

Number Name
    1 Preston Campbell
    2 Jordan Atkins
    3 Josh Graham
    4 Brett Delaney
    5 Esi Tonga
    6 Mat Rogers
    7 Scott Prince ?
    8 Luke Bailey ?
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Matthew White
    11 Anthony Laffranchi
    12 Mark Minichiello
    13 Luke O’Dwyer
    Interchange
    14 Brad Meyers
    15 Will Matthews
    16 William Zillman
    17 Kayne Lawton
    18 Sam Tagataese
    19 Bodene Thompson
    20 Brad Davis
    21 David Mead
    Coach John Cartwright
    Last edited by TITAN PETE; 16-02-09 at 06:01 PM. Reason: add team sheet
    #itaintweaktospeak

PRINCE TO TAKE ON MORE PREDATORS IN DARWIN

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will unleash a host of stars in Darwin for Saturday night's pre-season trial match against Cronulla.

In what shapes as a full-scale dress rehearsal for the Jetstar Titans' round one match against Newcastle at Skilled Park on March 15, coach John Cartwright today named co-captains Scott Prince and Luke Bailey in a strong 21-man squad.

Also included in the squad are Prince's Australian World Cup teammate Anthony Laffranchi and experienced campaigners Preston Campbell and Mat Rogers.

For Prince, it will mark his second visit to Darwin in the past fortnight after he and other Titans players took part in the NRL's One Community Carnival.

It was during his visit to Darwin that Prince took on a giant saltwater crocodile at an entertainment park called Crocosaurus Cove.

"If I get the opportunity to do that again, I'd be more than happy to step in the tank and go round two with it,'' joked Prince of Burt the crocodile.

"I think it's great that there's some rugby league lovers up there. Even the Northern Territory team is called the Northern Territory Titans so it's got a good feel about it already.

"Speaking to a few of the locals up there, they are looking forward to it. There's a heap of people even flying in from Nhulunbuy Gove and Groote Eylandt as well.

"There's so many league supporters who are excited and can't wait for the match.''

Cartwright said Saturday night's clash against the Sharks would be an important part of the Titans' build-up before kick-off for season 2009.

"It will be a dress rehearsal for the Newcastle game. We want to get as much out of this game as we can,'' said Cartwright.

"It'll be tough conditions up there in Darwin, I'd imagine it'll be hot and greasy and it'll be a good arena for us to experience big match game time before the Newcastle game.''

Cartwright said the Jetstar Titans were exciting to be taking the game of rugby league to the Northern Territory.

"I'm not sure what to expect but I'd imagine there will be a big crowd. I played up there a few years ago, it's a great town and whatever we can do to promote the game up there we're more than happy to do,'' he said.

A handful of senior players will also travel to Rockhampton to play with the Jetstar Titans' under-20s NYC team against the Central Comets Queensland Cup side.

Titans Team: Trial Game V Cronulla
    Venue: Richardson Park, (Darwin) Date: Saturday 21st February

1 Preston Campbell
    2 Jordan Atkins
    3 Josh Graham
    4 Brett Delaney
    5 Esi Tonga
    6 Mat Rogers
    7 Scott Prince (c)
    8 Luke Bailey (c)
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Matthew White
    11 Anthony Laffranchi
    12 Mark Minichiello
    13 Luke O'Dwyer
    Interchange
    14 Brad Meyers
    15 Will Matthews
    16 William Zillman
    17 Kayne Lawton
    18 Sam TagataUnder
    19 Bodene Thompson
    20 Brad Davis
    21 David Mead
    Coach John Cartwright

Source: http://www.titans.com.auese

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Very interesting. Looks like Cartright is showing his hand with Graham getting first chop at left centre and Esi Tonga on the right wing. Zillman must still be a little way off full fitness. I still reckon the wing and centre are still open as well as one prop, the lock and the bench forwards. Round 1 is going to look very similar to this team though.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    Very interesting. Looks like Cartright is showing his hand with Graham getting first chop at left centre and Esi Tonga on the right wing. Zillman must still be a little way off full fitness. I still reckon the wing and centre are still open as well as one prop, the lock and the bench forwards. Round 1 is going to look very similar to this team though.
    hang on, wheres harrison?

and yea, id love to see kevin Gordon and esi tonga at 2 & 3 repectivley
    with delaney and atkins at 4 & 5 at the third trial in lismore....

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

not sure about grahman at centre.... was hoping we would have an attacking one this year :S
    i spose they just resting zillman a bit more, taking him slow

I missed the first game which really sucked but this weekend will make up for it...... I am at the point now of counting down the days.... so for an update.... 3 days, 10 hours and the odd minutes (depending on how long it takes me to post) until I fly out WITH the team to Darwin. Ohhhhh Yeah.... Ohhhhh Yeah... Ohhh Yeah.......

Just getting my chants ready...... 42 Years and NOTHING....

Banners are packed... Flags are packed.....

Ohhhhh Yeah... Ohhhhhhh Yeah.... Ohhhhh Yeah......

I know... I ve tried REALLY hard to contain my excitement... I have.... see on here you cant see me doing cartwheels (goodness... what a sight that would be)

Here's to 2015

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    hang on, wheres harrison?

and yea, id love to see kevin Gordon and esi tonga at 2 & 3 repectivley
    with delaney and atkins at 4 & 5 at the third trial in lismore....
    Harrison had a shoulder operation (not major) a few weeks ago. Not expected back until round three. Depends on how fast the injury heals.
    Last edited by Titan2007; 17-02-09 at 07:41 AM.

I wouldn't be worrying too much about who is starting at the moment. While it's a strong team, it's still a trial and there'll be some moving around in the positions still up for grabs.
    My guess is Graham will be battling O'Dwyer for the utility spot with Zillman booked into the centres.

It really feels like we've got some better depth this year. The only real trouble area would be if Prince was out again. That said, between Rankin, Preston and Zillman, I think even that won't have the effect it did last year.

1 Preston Campbell
    2 Esi Tonga
    3 Zillman
    4 Brett Delaney
    5 David Meade / Chris Walker
    6 Mat Rogers
    7 Scott Prince ?
    8 Luke Bailey ?
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Matthew White
    11 Anthony Laffranchi
    12 Mark Minichiello
    13 Ashley Harrison
    Interchange
    14 Brad Meyers
    15 Will Matthews
    16 Daniel Conn
    17 Kayne Lawton / Sam Tagataese/Luke ODwyer

I think this is pretty much what is in store for the titans for the majority of the year the only spots really available are 1 wing and 1 centre spots. If injuries happen it will open up spots for the others eg Walker, Birdie, Gordon etc...

Does anyone know where Conn is and how hes been going in the off season? Havent seen or heard much about him at all!

Life isnt about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by curly_11 View Post
    1 Preston Campbell
    2 Esi Tonga
    3 Zillman
    4 Brett Delaney
    5 David Meade / Chris Walker
    6 Mat Rogers
    7 Scott Prince ?
    8 Luke Bailey ?
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Matthew White
    11 Anthony Laffranchi
    12 Mark Minichiello
    13 Ashley Harrison
    Interchange
    14 Brad Meyers
    15 Will Matthews
    16 Daniel Conn
    17 Kayne Lawton / Sam Tagataese/Luke ODwyer

I think this is pretty much what is in store for the titans for the majority of the year the only spots really available are 1 wing and 1 centre spots. If injuries happen it will open up spots for the others eg Walker, Birdie, Gordon etc...

Does anyone know where Conn is and how hes been going in the off season? Havent seen or heard much about him at all!
    He has an injury (happened in pre-season training) Should be all good.

Comeback kid Chris Walker out of Gold Coast Titans' squad

COMEBACK kid Chris Walker will likely miss NRL selection and begin the 2009 season in the Queensland Cup as he continues to claw his way back from an 18-month layoff.

The former Queensland Origin flyer made a tentative return to the playing paddock at Wynnum's Kougari Oval on Saturday night.

However, 28-year-old Walker is far from guaranteed a walk-up start in the Gold Coast NRL side in round one.

He remains understandably short of match fitness and with his confidence yet to fully return, coach John Cartwright is set to instruct Walker to begin his year with state league outfit Ipswich Jets.

Walker was omitted from the 21-man squad named for this weekend's Darwin trial against 2008 preliminary finalists Cronulla.

He will instead line up in the centres for the Titans' reserve-grade team against the Central Comets in Rockhampton, alongside namesake Shannon Walker.

The tussle for NRL wing spots between the Titans speedsters is a three-man race between Esi Tonga, Jordan Atkins and David Mead.

Tonga remains in the hunt for the Coast's left centre jumper alongside recruit Will Zillman and reliable utility Josh Graham.

Zillman remains in the early stages of his playing comeback from a second left knee reconstruction in March after a brief dust-off on the weekend against Brisbane.

The former Canberra star is likely to man the three-quarter line alongside right centre Brett Delaney should his confidence and form be up to speed during the final two pre-season trials.

Prop Matthew White is in the box seat to earn a starting jumper against his former club the Newcastle in the Titans' NRL season opener at Skilled Park.

White will partner co-captain Luke Bailey in the engine room in Darwin with Brad Meyers, Will Matthews and Bodene Thompson named on the bench.

After a disappointing first-up hitout, Matthews is playing for his NRL interchange jumper against the Sharks, with the young prop under pressure from experienced big man Ian Donnelly.

Donnelly impressed against the Broncos and is likely to be given another shot in the club's final trial against the Warriors at Lismore on February 28.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

Prince has 80 minutes to find touch

TITANS skipper Scott Prince will head into the 2009 season with just 80 minutes of match practice, after yesterday revealing he would miss the club's final trial against the Warriors in Lismore.

Prince has a long-standing family commitment on February 28, meaning Saturday's hitout against the Sharks in Darwin will be his only test run before Round 1.

But the Australian and Queensland No.7 is not concerned by his limited preparation.

"It is a long year," said Prince. "You don't win the premiership in March, so as long as I get a hitout under my belt I will be happy with that.

"For me it is the only one so I have to go out there and start the season well. Come Round 1 you want to be playing some good football but it is a very long year and hopefully around June, July, August we will be hitting our straps."

The fact this weekend will be Prince's only run with the squad before the start of the season proper adds extra weight to an already highly anticipated Sharks trial, which will see coach John Cartwright unveil his first string side for 2009.

Cartwright yesterday named a 21-man squad for the Sharks encounter.

Hulking speedsters Esi Tonga and Jordan Atkins will have first crack at the hotly contested Titans wing spots, while Newcastle recruit Matt White will partner Luke Bailey in the front row.

Prince is excited by the prospect of having two big boppers on the flanks this season in Tonga (190cm, 100kg) and Atkins (189cm, 96kg).

"The good teams have the big outside men," said Prince. "So we need those guys in our team. It is one area where we were lacking a bit last year and that is no disrespect to the wingers that played but it is exciting to know there are young guys there that are tall and a lot bigger this year.

"Not only for our kicking game, in particular tries off kicks, but it will also allow us to counteract opposition teams with big outside backs in defence."

Fullback Preston Campbell is in doubt after rolling his ankle at training yesterday, while international backrower Anthony Laffranchi is battling a niggling hamstring complaint. But both are expected to play at this stage.

Cartwright said the Sharks clash was a 'dress rehearsal' for the season opener against Newcastle at Skilled Park on March 15.

"We want to get as much out of this game as we can," said Cartwright. "We want to go out and put a really good performance on against the Sharks, and the guys that do that put themselves in a good position to be picked for the first game.

"But guys can still play their way into the team.

"Nothing is set in stone at the moment."

Former State of Origin winger Chris Walker, who is on the comeback trail from injury, will line up against the Central Comets in Rockhampton on Saturday in a Titans side made up of under-20s players and the likes of Shannon Walker, Kevin Gordon, Brenton Bowen and Ian Donnelly. That team will be coached by under-20s assistant coach Peter Gill.

The Titans leave for Darwin on Thursday and will return to the Gold Cast on Sunday to prepare for next Saturday's final trial against New Zealand in Lismore.

Titans: Preston Campbell, Jordan Atkins, Josh Graham, Brett Delaney, Esi Tonga, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Matthew White, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Luke O'Dwyer. Interchange: Brad Meyers, Will Matthews, William Zillman, Kayne Lawton, Sam Tagataese, Bodene Thompson, Brad Davis, David Mead.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Diehard............... well all I can say is.... I owe you a beer!

I was just reading through your post from the courier mail. Reading how the titans leave on Thursday......... I thought... ohhh the Courier Mail got it wrong.. they leave on Friday..... then I thought... and thought.... and then came "get the ....... out of here"

Got up... looked at my tickets.... and it is Thursday not Friday. I swear I would have been at the airport on Friday wondering where everyone was.

So Diehard.... CHEERS.... my week is shorter by one day which means a rediculous amount of work I have to get done in now 1 day..... but thanks to that post at least I wont miss the flight!

DAMN..... that was close

Here's to 2015

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_07 View Post
    Diehard............... well all I can say is.... I owe you a beer!

I was just reading through your post from the courier mail. Reading how the titans leave on Thursday......... I thought... ohhh the Courier Mail got it wrong.. they leave on Friday..... then I thought... and thought.... and then came "get the ....... out of here"

Got up... looked at my tickets.... and it is Thursday not Friday. I swear I would have been at the airport on Friday wondering where everyone was.

So Diehard.... CHEERS.... my week is shorter by one day which means a rediculous amount of work I have to get done in now 1 day..... but thanks to that post at least I wont miss the flight!

DAMN..... that was close
    HOLY CRAP!

I get chills reading about that close call! That would have been a terrible situation otherwise!

Have a great time up north! Hopefully you can bring us back some pics and stories.

I'm so glad your trip had a happy ending before it has even begun already!

It'll be quite a rugby league experience!