Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Big Brother 2008

Killeen leaves Big Brother

Exclusive, By Fiona Connolly, Media Writer
    October 27, 2007 04:35pm

CHANNEL Ten star Gretel Killeen is leaving the Big Brother series after seven years as host.

The Ten Network intends on airing an eighth series of the show next year, but with falling ratings across the franchise, the show is set to undergo a major re-vamp with Killeen "the first on the list" to go.

Industry sources said network executives signed off on the decision last week.

Aside from having a new host, Big Brother will also undergo a fresh new format, with a re-think of the rules, a new set and a possible location change all on the discussion board.

Although the final show of Big Brother 7 this year attracted an average audience of 1.9 million viewers, it was still down from its peak of 2.9 million in 2004.

Overall, the reality series has been a ratings disappointment this year, particularly in Ten's core demographic of 18 to 49-year-olds, where it has dropped almost 15 per cent.

"It's actually amazing it (the re-vamp) hasn't happened before now.

"It's been in need of a face lift for at least the last two seasons," an industry source said today.

Some viewers on dedicated fan websites have expressed discontent with Killeen, accusing her of being aggressive with some housemates and gushing with praise of others.

Dedicated fan websites have accused her of being "rude", "judgmental" and "sarcastic" during her final season with others saying the 46-year-old was "old and tired".

But Killeen still has a large fan base with viewers, who have expressed strong support for the host on internet blogs and chat forums.

Fans on a forum from unofficial.com.au have backed their beloved Killeen saying: "Big Brother Wouldn't Be Big Brother If It Wasn't For Her!!!

"No One Would Watch it if it wasn't for her!

"She is the best host and the best thing for Bb!"

With time remaining on her contract with Ten, Killeen is believed to be pursuing other projects, which include writing a drama series for Ten and a new book.

She recently returned from New York where she met with publishers and is working on a film script.

Among contenders to replace Killeen is Big Brother Up Late and Friday Night Games host Mike Goldman, who is a proven hit among loyal fans and former Neighbours star Natalie Bassingthwaighte who will be road-tested as host of the upcoming So You Think You Can Dance series.

Falling ratings have been of such concern to Ten, it is understood staff from the network and the Edemol Southern Star group, were asked to "be creative", and provide ideas to freshen up the franchise.

Network Ten refused to comment this week, saying talk of Killeen's role and the re-vamp of the show was "pre-mature".

The news also comes after Ten almost lost the flagship BB brand in a fierce bidding war with the Seven Network last month - a battle which pushed the price up to more than $40 million.

"They're gonna have to prove that money was well spent and get some viewers back," a source said today.

Big Brother himself, Endemol Southern Star group manager Kris Noble, recently resigned from the production company.

The group's new boss Rory Callaghan is believed to have backed the move to let Killeen move on.

It is understood former Channel Nine Executive Producer Virginia Hodgson will take over the role of Big Brother.

Killeen has fronted more than 250 shows and interviewed more than 100 evictees.

Killeen has declined to comment, and Channel Ten did not return calls after being contacted by The Daily Telegraph Online today.

www.news.com.au

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

I didnt watch the last series,cant even tell you who won.
    Have only watched series one.
    Like hypercolor t-shirts,BB has had its run.

i haven't watched an episode since day 2 i always hated gretel killen

I'm going to try and get my friend to audition for next year...
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

who in the world would surpport killen seriously its like shes two people in one uncoordinated fashionist
    GOLD COAST TITANS 08 "THATS MY TEAM"

Titans First Grader hugebrianfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    that'd be pretty awesome!! yeah i would hate to host that show. I think alisha won it..um nah i dont really watch it. I watched it when Blair and sarah maree was in it, i loved the first series but i havent really liked the others..

wonder who the new host will be

King Kyle and Jackie O for BB

IT'S time to go ... Gretel.

Gretel Killeen has been dumped from Big Brother as Ten seeks to revamp the struggling show by introducing new hosts, radio duo Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O.

"Working on Big Brother has been an extraordinary, challenging and rewarding experience," Killeen said.

"I'm really proud of what we've achieved but I now have the seven-year itch and am busting to get on with a million new things, including my first feature film, which we're shooting in the new year."

After seven years, the show is in dire need of a change.

The 2007 series was criticised for its boring and predictable housemates, resulting in poor ratings and speculation the show might be axed.

But producers Endemol Southern Star have confirmed the show will return in 2008 in a "tighter, re-energised format".

Jackie O wants 'shake-up'

It will again be filmed at Dreamworld on the Gold Coast.

"I would like to see them shake it up, especially with the contestants because I think everybody is sick of the same old contestants going in," Jackie O said.

"It actually gets really boring after a while.

"As a fan, I have always wanted a bigger variety of people in there and also to push the contestants more."

Her co-host has a similar view and speaks from experience.

Sandilands was a contestant on Celebrity Big Brother in 2002 and was a guest in the house for a weekend this year, although he had to leave early because he suffered from a migraine.

Sandilands wants 'grumpy old men'

"I want that conflict, that real sense of drama rather than that frat house drama that we've seen over the last few years," Sandilands, who is also a judge on Ten's Australian Idol, said.

"It is time that we mix it up a little bit.

"We will still have young, fun people in there but the whole house won't be full of 20-something losers.

"I would like the old grumpy man that hates loud noise and hates young people in there."

Both Sandilands and Jackie O praised Killeen on her hosting of the show, saying they were big fans of her TV style.

Ten will be hoping for a big boost in ratings with the revamped show.

http://www.news.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Needs more turkey slapping imo...

Titan CEO

i wish BB was leaving our tv's.

kyle is the biggest moron and annoying twat there is. it wont help ratings.

I thought it was pretty weak how he left the BB house with a migraine.

Titan CEO

I thought it was pretty weak how he left the BB house with a migraine.
    kyle was in the house?

Yea he went in as an intruder this year.

I think Gretel held on for one or two years too many. The show has had its day. It seems that the game show is just attracting wanna-be C grade actors. I think the 2008 series will be an embarrasment for channel 10.

Tne best part of the series was Paul v Merlin, they need to follow this up.

We need hippies, lefties, righties, commos, funny people, grumpy old men, nerds and people with life stories and interesting things to say.

It looks like it will be different next year:

Big Brother is back!
    Yes, Big Brother is back for 2008. With new hosts, Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O, and lots of great changes, BB08 will be the most exciting yet.

And we can announce one of the biggest changes now: anyone can submit a video audition for the site!

From Tuesday October 30, housemate wannabes can upload a one-to-two minute video about themselves to say why they deserve a place in the BB house for 2008. All the details you'll need will be on the site from Tuesday.

Then, in December, the Australian public gets to choose! Fans can view eligible videos here at the BB website, rate them and vote online.

The candidates behind the three most-voted eligible videos will win a place in the 2008 Big BrotherHouse.

And the producers will also be guided by how the Australian public voted in selecting the rest of the Housemates. Watch closely Australia - this season it's your choice

www.bigbrother.com.au