Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Default 14,528 sms in one month

A Californian father was left speechless when he discovered his teenage daughter had sent an astonishing 14,528 text messages in one month.

Greg Hardesty thought there was a mistake with his 13-year-old daughter Reina's online phone bill when it stretched for 440 pages.

"First, I laughed: I thought, 'That's insane, that's impossible'," the New York Post reported the 45-year-old father as saying.

"And I immediately whipped out the calculator to see if it was humanly possible."

Reina's freakish month of texting equates to over 480 messages sent a day ? or around one every two minutes for every waking hour.

Thankfully for Mr Hardesty's hip pocket, he had signed his daughter to an unlimited texting plan for $30 [A$42] a month ? otherwise he figures AT&T would have slugged him with a $2,905.60 [A$4,113.13] bill.

"A lot of my friends have unlimited texting ? I just text them pretty much all the time," Reina explained to her parents.

She said her texting had skyrocketed because she was bored on winter break and admitted to sending a bunch of messages to brag about her enormous effort.

The student has since been banned from sending SMS after dinner.

www.ninemsn.com
    Last edited by titanstattman; 12-01-09 at 04:01 PM.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

I knew i was bad but smurf me that is alot

My 14 year old wants a mobile phone but these sort of stories scare me off getting her one. I have a bit of a dilemma in that there were only 2 kids in her class last year that didn't have their own mobile. If I don't get her one, she'll feel alienated. If I do - scary things could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Titan View Post
    My 14 year old wants a mobile phone but these sort of stories scare me off getting her one. I have a bit of a dilemma in that there were only 2 kids in her class last year that didn't have their own mobile. If I don't get her one, she'll feel alienated. If I do - scary things could happen.
    Go pre-paid, or get a capped or unlimited plan.

I don't see a drama with the above story. She obviously knew she was on an unlimited plan, she tried to send as many sms' as she could - and she got to 14,528. Congratulations, but whoop-d-f-kn-dooo! In saying that she'll probably get prime time tv when Today Tonight pick up the story........
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

get her a pre paid one so once she uses that money that it

Amazing. She'd be such an annoying friend to have. She'd drive them crazy with updates on her boring life every 3minutes.

No doubt she wrote SMS then sent them out to everyone on her contact list.

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I reckon DIEHARD's got it. Send out to everyone on your contact list at once, it'd be easy to rack it up.

I think a prepaid is the way to go with teenagers. And stick to only buying them credit once a month.
    If they blow the credit in only a couple days and have to wait a month for more, they'll (hopefully) learn about moderating their use. Either that or have to start spending their own money on credit, which will get them thinking about it when they could be spending the money on something else.

I'm 14 and i only use about $30 dollars a month

Yet my brother who is 16 uses about $60

So how much credit would you by her for a month

my usage is up around or over the $800 mark each month

thank god i am on 3 with a $99 cap
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

She'll feel alienated? I'd reckon she would already.

I got a mobile when I was like 13, that was nearly 10 years ago. Fair enough I paid for the lot myself, but I have no idea how a teenager (or anyone really) can live in 2009 without a mobile.

Get your kid a pre-paid cap package. Like $29 a month and you get a couple hundred dollars worth of calls and SMS. Once that credit is gone, its gone until you top it back up. Its impossible for you to get slugged with a monster of a bill as you don't even receive bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    She'll feel alienated? I'd reckon she would already.

I got a mobile when I was like 13, that was nearly 10 years ago. Fair enough I paid for the lot myself, but I have no idea how a teenager (or anyone really) can live in 2009 without a mobile.

Get your kid a pre-paid cap package. Like $29 a month and you get a couple hundred dollars worth of calls and SMS. Once that credit is gone, its gone until you top it back up. Its impossible for you to get slugged with a monster of a bill as you don't even receive bills.
    lol yea this is the best idea......any teenager with a plan has too much power in their hands.........lol

but when i was 13 and had my trusty 3310 or 3315....it was a prepaid and how ever much i put on it, is how much i could spend.............none of this $49 and get over $300 worth of calls ect........lol

i feel ripped off..............lol

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    lol yea this is the best idea......any teenager with a plan has too much power in their hands.........lol

but when i was 13 and had my trusty 3310 or 3315....it was a prepaid and how ever much i put on it, is how much i could spend.............none of this $49 and get over $300 worth of calls ect........lol

i feel ripped off..............lol
    dude.... count yourself lucky that u had a fone that wasnt the size of a brick... mine was a nokia 100 i think and that was the age of 14.... many many many years ago

lol Dave,You sound like a grandfather

"when I was a kid...."

hahahha....

yeh a little long in the tooth paul.....