Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default NZ Warrior Sonny Fai presumed drowned

NZ Warrior Sonny Fai presumed drowned

January 5, 2009 - 9:06AM

Up and coming New Zealand Warriors player Sonny Fai is missing, presumed drowned, at a west Auckland beach.

His agent Frank Endacott said on Monday he believed 20-year-old Fai had just completed a training run on Bethell's Beach and had gone to cool off in the surf with three others on Sunday evening when they hit trouble in a rip, Stuff reported.

The alarm was raised about 8pm (1800 AEDT) and two inflatable boats and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter were scrambled to the scene.

Three of the men were rescued, but Fai remained missing when the search was called off about 10pm.

Family members and surf life savers continued the search until 1am and the helicopter resumed the search on Monday morning.

Fai has played 15 games for the New Zealand Warriors and made his National Rugby League debut in March last year.

He was named Warriors 2007 under-20 player of the year, and was a Junior Kiwis player from 2004-07.

Team management addressed the team on Monday, when pre-season training officially got under way in Auckland.

Warriors management Don Mann and John Hart went to visit the Fai family earlier on Monday morning.

www.leaguehq.com.au
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Terrible news, absolutely terrible .
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Titans First Grader

This is a very tragic start to the new year. It's so easy to get caught up and panic in the water. Thoughts must go out to his family and team mates.

Junior Titan

Horrible start to the season,not just for Warriors but NRL in general.he was a great up and coming talent and im sure they willbe a very distraught camp that will now have a massive bond and commitment to be strong for each other,very sad news.

Far too young to die... my thoughts are with his family.
    BRISBANE BRONCOS PREMIERS '92 '93 '97 '98 '00 '06 '09

Junior Titan

A terrible loss. A real up and coming talent, I remember Matty Johns talking about what a future talent he was. Been reports on the radio all day today, although he is still missing, its very unlikely he will be found alive. His manager Frank Endacott was on before and he pretty much said that Sonny has passed away.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

To his famliy and friends my thoughts are with u all...

Doug & Mel

As a former lifesaver, I hate hearing stories like this. Most drownings are preventable. If you swim at a patrolled area between the flags and stay away from unpatrolled areas, then there is no reason someone should loose their life to the ocean.

Alot of people also think that because they can swim in a pool, they can swim in the ocean. Im not sure what the case is here with Sonny but this is a horrible reminder that no matter how fit you think you are, the sea is never safe and it is not to be underestimated.

totally shocked, i watched Fai in the toyota cup and he was a standout a real talent lost, terrible news

Junior Titan

From reports, he went out to assist his brother who got separated from the group, got hit by a wave and hasn't been seen since.

It happened after the beach patrol had finished duty for the day, but to their credit the lifesafers were on the water in the IRB within 10 mins of the alarm being raised.

Horrible news

Thoughts go out to his family and friends & to the nz warriors

thats terrible news...........

its never a nice thing to hear, and its a real shame as he was actually doing something with his life too............

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

The girlfriend of young New Zealand Warriors player Sonny Fai has told how she watched helplessly from the beach as he was swept out to sea.

The up-and-coming rugby league star remains missing and is presumed drowned after taking a swim at a west Auckland beach yesterday evening.

Fai, 20, had just completed a training run on Bethell's Beach and had gone to cool off in the surf with girlfriend Jenna Frost and several family members, Stuff.co.nz reports.

The swimmers soon hit trouble in a rip: most managed to make it back to shore but Fai's younger brother drifted out to sea, according to his sister La Lelei.

She said Fai jumped back in and managed to save his brother but then got stuck in a rip himself.

"My younger brother came back and Sonny was taken out by the wave," Ms Lelei said.

Ms Frost told the website she watched her boyfriend disappear under the waves but was unable to do anything to help him.

"I was angry, I wanted to go in there and get him myself," she said.

The alarm was raised about 8pm (1800 AEDT) and two inflatable boats and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter scrambled to the scene.

But Fai was still missing when the search was called off about 10pm.

Family members and surf lifesavers continued the search until 1am and the helicopter resumed the search this morning.

Ms Frost said Fai was a "good guy" with "a kind heart".

Fai played 15 games for the New Zealand Warriors and made his National Rugby League debut in March last year.

He was named Warriors 2007 under-20 player of the year and was a Junior Kiwis player from 2004-07.

Team management addressed the team on Monday, when pre-season training officially got under way in Auckland.

Warriors management Don Mann and John Hart went to visit the Fai family earlier on Monday morning.

www.ninemsn.com

Titans First Grader goldcoastitans's Avatar

This is a sad day for all NRL players and fans, such a young and talented player .... and by the sounds of the story above a family hero... he gave his life to the ocean over his brothers ....he will surely be missed RIP SONNY
    BECOME ONE OF US - BECOME A LEGIONNAIRE!

So sad!

R.I.P Sonny.