Default Wests Tigers express interest in Carney for 2010

Wests Tigers express interest in signing bad boy Todd Carney for 2010
    December 13, 2008 WESTS Tigers have emerged as the NRL club to save the career of footy bad boy Todd Carney, who is preparing to challenge his deregistration from the game.

New Tigers boss Scott Longmuir confirmed on Friday night the joint-venture had sent an "expression of interest" to Carney's management for 2010.

But the former Raider - provisionally deregistered by the NRL after his mid-season sacking from Canberra - is ready to argue for a return next season should his visa to play in England be blocked.

The 22-year-old signed a handsome one-year deal with UK Super League club Huddersfield for 2009 after parting ways with the Green Machine in July.

But extensive delays with his English visa have left Carney stranded in Australia while his new team-mates started pre-season training on December 1.

Carney's agent David Riolo on Friday night confirmed interest from the Tigers and several other NRL clubs for 2010, but flagged an earlier return should the visa not be granted.

"Our first priority is for Todd to play in Huddersfield, where he has signed next year," Riolo said.

"But if he doesn't get his visa, then he can't work in England. If that were to be the case we'd certainly be willing to go back to the NRL to argue his case for registration in 2009.

"Todd is a professional footballer - this is his career."

Carney attended the funeral of his father Daryl in his home town of Goulburn on Friday, and was unavailable for comment. Riolo said the Tigers were one of several clubs to express interest in the Country Origin star.

"There have been initial discussions with the Tigers for 2010 and beyond," Riolo said.

Longmuir added: "There hasn't been a meeting, but we've put forward an expression of interest to see what Todd is doing for 2010 and beyond.

"We need to consider our halfback decision going forward at this stage.

"(Coach) Tim Sheens has talked about using Benji (Marshall) there, but we've got to look at all the options."

The Tigers are still in the process of trying to re-sign Marshall, who is off-contract at the end of next season and firmly in the sights of cashed-up European rugby clubs.

Longmuir refused to speculate on whether the club could afford to have both playmakers. "It's too early to comment on that, but we are hoping to have Benji's future sorted before the start of the season," he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

Looks like the tigers want a plan B in case benji and/or farrar leave the club come the end of 09 which is a very real prospect at the moment.

I'd take him over Benji any day of the week. Only have to keep Todd away from things that could get him in trouble like booze and cars. Have to keep Benji away from things that could injury him like infants, pillow fights or a strong breeze.

Tigers wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they had 13 men in defense. As much as Todd is a drop kick loser he can play footy pretty good and if a club can successfully put in the required effort to keep him on the straight and narrow they will reap the benefits on the paddock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

was talking to a mate about this, his a west fan
    and he rkns that the tigers are going after him to ensure farah that he will only play hooker, and wont have to goto the number 7 due to injurys and other things.

ah capital its not often I laugh out loud on this forum but you just got one there! Well summed up!

The interesting thing is they'd get him for the same dollars as well so as long as they can keep his head screwed on right its a win. If they could keep farrar and carney they'd be dangerous. If its carney with an ordinary hooker they may strugle.

If they do pick up carney they really need to put him in as a roommate to a senior player or something, keep like a 24hr good influence on him if you know what I mean.

Well he only managed 37 code of conduct breaches at the Raiders during his 3 seasons including 4 separate incidents in 1 night even after a 6 week rehab program, good luck Tigpies!

I honestly hope he goes to the UK and figures out who Todd Carney is before coming back to the spotlight, lets see what sort of test case Cousins can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    Have to keep Benji away from things that could injury him like infants, pillow fights or a strong breeze.

That just made me LOL in my office and everybody looked at me

Junior Titan

he had plenty of chances at Raiders and every time pissed it up against the wall,saty in UK and grow up for a few years and come back and dominate with a clear head,if tigers got him now i dont think that tiger could change his spots as yet and they would be in for lots of grief

Hey can anyone here fill me in on this I'm sure I heard that Thurston is still open for 2010 and wants to "test his value"

While he'd tie up enourmous amounts of dollars he'd also be an instant fix for sure, and he'd spend slightly less time injured then benji would

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    I'd take him over Benji any day of the week. Only have to keep Todd away from things that could get him in trouble like booze and cars. Have to keep Benji away from things that could injury him like infants, pillow fights or a strong breeze.

Tigers wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they had 13 men in defense. As much as Todd is a drop kick loser he can play footy pretty good and if a club can successfully put in the required effort to keep him on the straight and narrow they will reap the benefits on the paddock.
    100% agree mate.

Not only that but alot of people seem to think alot of benji...when he actually hasnt shown that much. He has a flick pass (who in the nrl cannot flick pass?) he has a stupid step that only really fools big tired props. Way over-rated and if i were the tigers i would definately be chasing Carney and get rid of that waste of money benji.