Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

aus V nz wc final...wow, big shock

australia will win by 30 points and not even get out of second gear

as much as it's nice to win it once again it's also an empty feeling knowing the finalists before the tournament even begins.

I'd rather watch a much more even playing field where we are made to earn a win instead of just turning up to a david V goliath battle, International league is so lop sided it's ridiculous

Being negative won't fix the international game, you can't blame the Kangaroos for playing to the best of their potential.

From this World Cup we will see more interest in developing Pacific Island RL, more interest from the Pacific Island in the NRL, more Test matches between nations outside the Top 3, a return of a proper Pac Cup, fuel for the PNG bid for the NRL, more international players in the NRL etc etc.

Hopefully the Kiwis select Isaac Luke at hooker. Fien at halfback is a step forward.

I actually tipped a Australia v England Final. I can't believe England didn't deploy McGuire at 5/8th all tournament and what does Lee Smith have to do to get a break?

Williams will likely come in for Tate.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    aus V nz wc final...wow, big shock

australia will win by 30 points and not even get out of second gear

as much as it's nice to win it once again it's also an empty feeling knowing the finalists before the tournament even begins.

I'd rather watch a much more even playing field where we are made to earn a win instead of just turning up to a david V goliath battle, International league is so lop sided it's ridiculous
    I don't believe watching any of Australia's games were ever the draw card for real Rubgy League enthusist's. Don't get me wrong, watching Australia flogging the poms and Kiwis will never grow old for some - but there was much more interest in watching how the countries in pools B & C performed against each other.

Despite Ch9's best efforts to sabbotage the event, there are plenty of positives coming out of this tournament as DIEHARD mentioned; one being getting the ball rolling for PNG in the NRL, two being the call for more international matches to be played (for pacific islands inparticular), three being the founding of the Abo's vs Mauri's match which should be a killer annual event for years to come.
    And with the development of Fiji, PNG and France inparticular over the next few years - the next World Cup should be a ripper.

So all you whining bastards posing as true RL supportors can spit the lemon out of your mouths and stop posting your short sighted b!tching comments. An exciting path for the NRL and International game has been outlined which will have the GayFL wogs down south excreteing VB from their loose rectums with envy. I dunno where that last one liner came from, but I had to say something.......
    Last edited by Ryan; 18-11-08 at 07:29 AM.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Being negative won't fix the international game, you can't blame the Kangaroos for playing to the best of their potential.

From this World Cup we will see more interest in developing Pacific Island RL, more interest from the Pacific Island in the NRL, more Test matches between nations outside the Top 3, a return of a proper Pac Cup, fuel for the PNG bid for the NRL, more international players in the NRL etc etc.
    Being negative? I'm just being honest.I think the people being negative are the ones burying their heads in the sand saying how wonderful this tournament has been.We shouldn't accept the crap that has been served up to us as a WORLD CUP in our own country.The WC has been farce in just about every department. The emerging nations have been the only small glimmer of hope along with the quality of the unstoppable Aus team.

The organisation has been awful.The crowds have been so p!ss poor I was shocked and the media coverage(both TV and print) have been the most abysmal I've ever seen anywhere in the world. It's turned fans away in droves when this tournament should have been winning thousands and thousands of new fans over.

I don't blame the Aussie team for being light years ahead of everyone,On the contrary I feel a bit sorry for them because they haven't had to "play to their potential" as you put it once in this tournament or been challenged in the slightest. How can any real professional sportsman/team (or footy fan for that matter) enjoy going out and winning by 40-50 odd points every single match?

Titans First Grader goldcoastitans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Being negative? I'm just being honest.I think the people being negative are the ones burying their heads in the sand saying how wonderful this tournament has been.We shouldn't accept the crap that has been served up to us as a WORLD CUP in our own country.The WC has been farce in just about every department. The emerging nations have been the only small glimmer of hope along with the quality of the unstoppable Aus team.

The organisation has been awful.The crowds have been so p!ss poor I was shocked and the media coverage(both TV and print) have been the most abysmal I've ever seen anywhere in the world. It's turned fans away in droves when this tournament should have been winning thousands and thousands of new fans over.

I don't blame the Aussie team for being light years ahead of everyone,On the contrary I feel a bit sorry for them because they haven't had to "play to their potential" as you put it once in this tournament or been challenged in the slightest. How can any real professional sportsman/team (or footy fan for that matter) enjoy going out and winning by 40-50 odd points every single match?
    Totally agree Paul this World Cup is all but over to me .....Aussies are just 2 good everyone knew they would win before the Cup even started .....

Hey and everyone thats going live can you forward me the scores as im sure Channel 9 will delay our coverage or better yet you guys watch it live and then come over to mine afterwards to watch the game on TV with me
    BECOME ONE OF US - BECOME A LEGIONNAIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I don't believe watching any of Australia's games were ever the draw card for real Rubgy League enthusist's. Don't get me wrong, watching Australia flogging the poms and Kiwis will never grow old for some - but there was much more interest in watching how the countries in pools B & C performed against each other.

Despite Ch9's best efforts to sabbotage the event, there are plenty of positives coming out of this tournament as DIEHARD mentioned; one being getting the ball rolling for PNG in the NRL, two being the call for more international matches to be played (for pacific islands inparticular), three being the founding of the Abo's vs Mauri's match which should be a killer annual event for years to come.
    And with the development of Fiji, PNG and France inparticular over the next few years - the next World Cup should be a ripper.

So all you whining bastards posing as true RL supportors can spit the lemon out of your mouths and stop posting your short sighted b!tching comments. An exciting path for the NRL and International game has been outlined which will have the GayFL wogs down south excreteing VB from their loose rectums with envy. I dunno where that last one liner came from, but I had to say something.......
    Great post Ryan. Subtle as always, and never missing a chance to be fair and honest about our inbred southern cousins.

Anyway, I totally agree with what you're saying. It's not Australia's fault for being to good. It makes for an ordinary spectacle overall, but I'd rather be winning by 50 than losing by 50. And as DIEHARD says, there is a whole lot of momentum for the Pacific Islands teams that could lead to the most diverse and interesting International games in years to come.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Iv watched two games of the wourld cup iv got tickets for the final but prob cause iv lost all intrese for the cup.....

Honestly everyone needs to grow up. Whinge whinge whinge.

We can't just go from nearly nothing on the international stage to a flourishing World Cup. It takes time, hard work, planning and belief.

This has always been known as a transitionary World Cup. To get us in the position to have a bigger and more competitive World Cup in 2013.

We need World Cup's to give players in developing nations something to aim for, to encourage them to play rugby league domestically in their nation, to help attract sponsors to these nation teams and domestic competition and clubs, we need them so players can have the opportunity to tour overseas and play against other nations and improve. We need World Cup's to ensure we can canvass governments and business for funding and grants for facilities.

It bothers me that everyone just thinks the World Cup is about a 4 week tournament, if we got 5,000 people to a few more games, if the Kangaroos get beaten and if England win. Those are pretty superficial benchmarks.

The World Cup is about the continued fight to spread rugby league worldwide, this battle to spread the gospel doesn't come every World Cup it happens every second of every day, year round. And the World Cup is an integral element of that movement.

Out of this we are going to see alot of renewed enthusiasm and progress for rugby league in many countries and even the ones that failed to qualify such as Wales and Lebanon. USA and even Russia as well as the new rugby league playing nations such as Serbia, Germany, Estonia and Jamaica.

We are going to see a damn lot of progress that wouldn't even exist if we didn't have this World Cup.

- New markets have been opened for rugby league in coutries, thanks to the international television deal.
    - Many new sponsors have been drawn to our game and will join our game to support international rugby league.
    - Millions of Australians have been educated that their really is rugby league in France, Samoa, Fiji, Ireland, Tonga and Scotland.
    - Players have gotten rewarded for their participation in rugby league with a tour.
    - Players have increased their fitness and skills by playing other nations.
    - Coaching staff and administration has learnt a lot of new skills and strategies being in Australia and working with NRL clubs.
    - PNG were a relevation. And many people would love to see them play regular test football. And PNG have increased their test football schedule and will tour more now. Games with Australia, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga are currently being negoitated.
    - France now have annual Test Matches with England as a result of this World Cup. Previously they had only played each other a handful of times in the last 15 years, dispite their close proximity.
    - England will limp home and their will be a massive review of the game. They'll come back bigger and stronger.
    - Before the World Cup the idea of a PNG NRL club was absolute fantasy, now most would give it a fair bit of credibility. I'd say we will see a PNG team in the NRL one day.
    - Kangaroos jersey sales have eclipsed that of the Wallabies and cricket team. The Kangaroos brand is finally getting the treatment it deserves.
    - The Aboriginals v Maori game was a highlight and many believe it would be a fantastic annual event that would add a lot of rugby league and those communities. Without the World Cup that game wouldn't have happened and certainly not on that scale.
    - Tonga v Samoa. A new rugby league derby. Now moves are afoot for annual matches between these two islands. Another new feature that will create a lot of interest in the growth of the domestic competitions and from players in New Zealand and Australia.
    - Fiji were great. All their hardwork and professionalism paid off in the years leading up to the World Cup. They will only get stronger.
    - France will continue to get stronger, they need a new coach and the new Toulouse National League 1 team will help. They were hit by injuries and played well down on form.
    - Organisers priced tickets far too highly. Union offered far cheaper tickets. We should have offered $10 tickets to Pool 2 and 3 games. How they expect anyone to afford to go to more than one game is beyond me.
    - We had a great TV deal just didn't have the courage to enforce it. Hopefully with the widespread backlash neither NINE or the ARL will allow this to happen again.
    - The NRL clubs did very very little to promote these games and that is extremely disappointing. Every club website should have had World Cup links and pictures and coverage. Every club should have done their upmost to sell these games to their members, they should have been integrated into membership packages. This is my biggest disappointment.
    - Merchandise sales have been fantastic.
    - We now have the World Cup resurrected. We now have it set in stone with it's own identifiable brand. We can now work to build it up and reap the benefits. It's another piece in the puzzle back on the rugby league map and Lions and Kangaroos tours are coming back too.
    - We now have Lions and Kangaroos Tours coming back and an exciting new Quad Nations tournament.
    - The tournament has brought thousands of brand new rugby league fans to the games who otherwise wouldn't go.
    - The Kangaroos have two major sponsors Jetstar and VB.
    - The Pacific Cup will be back on the scene, bigger than ever with the success of Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and PNG as well as the Cook Islands who didn't make the World Cup.
    - Rugby League is moving into a position where it can take over the Pacific region.
    - The World Cup will make a profit that will be reinvested in the international game towards the next World Cup in 2013.
    - And everyone will be all the more competitive with better domestic competitions, greater professionalism, better training regimes, more tours and tests, Pacific Cups, Roo and Lions Tours and 4nations.

I'm splitting this negative crap into it's own thread, because the World Cup Final deserves better treatment.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 18-11-08 at 06:14 PM.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

omg guys, live game on channel 9!

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    omg guys, live game on channel 9!
    right after a word from our sponsors...

Titans First Grader goldcoastitans's Avatar

We can't just go from nearly nothing on the international stage to a flourishing World Cup. It takes time, hard work, planning and belief.
    Brad you cant tell us you dont get annoyed with the coverage of the RLWC ... i mean serious it has being utter crap

Sure it takes hard work - i mean i havent seen any ads on TV building matches up ...has anyone else?? or is it just the Gold Coast that is not getting these great build up ads ...making people excited and wanting to watch the games

Sure it takes planning - loosing the trophy ...good start

and belief well that was the only one that was really there for the young up and coming teams like Scotland and PNG loved watching them

i mean little things just pi$$ed me off, like there was a game i was wanting to watch on Austar at the same time as Aussie v PNG and as the footy was starting i quickly switched to austar to record the cricket and then as i switch it over there is the final score for the footy on my screen ....Now this should not be able to happen in a World Cup ..... it doesnt happen in Union, Cricket, Soccer world cups ...if you are wanting to work towards getting the game on par with the greats then you have to start with simple things like live coverage and building each game up etc

i know i agree with you ... its only the beginning but get little basic things right and then build from there
    Last edited by goldcoastitans; 19-11-08 at 12:30 PM.
    BECOME ONE OF US - BECOME A LEGIONNAIRE!

A lot of the potential positives out of the WC I imagine we won't see.

Another exhibition match between the aborigines and maoris? Not bloody likely. Not with NRL players anyhow. Club release their players to potentially be injured in an exhibition match? Sure, it happened this once, but it's unlikely to happen again.

Same goes for the Pacific island nations. We saw the ANZAC test cancelled due to the SL clubs not releasing their NZ players. Any games between the winnow nations will almost certainly not contain any NRL/SL players, and its playing alongside the professionals that drives up the level of rugby league at those grassroots levels.
    Even if you force the club to sit out a selected player if they don't play for their country, how many clubs would prefer that option? Less chance of injury on the sideline.

I don't agree that clubs should have been advertising it. It should have been the ARL and channel 9, but channel 9 just pissed all over the competition while the ARL put on the gimp suit and took it. So yeah, people are unhappy.

Yeah, it's got to build up internationally and we'll likely see better World Cup's in the future. It's just that this one didn't even reach a fraction of the potential anyone can see it had.

There were a lot of potential positives to come out of the wc E.g Fiji are Playing PNG in febuary thats a start at least but at the same time its where do we go after this world cup that interests me more tbh but we will have to wait and see if those positives come or dont come leanig towards the latter. We all knew who ran the world cup and it wasnt the ARL. As i said i wish someone in the RL heirachy had the balls to stand up to CH9 and do the right thing for the game.In all honesty the farce of this world cup doesnt exactly having me licking my lips for the next world cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmace View Post
    In all honesty the farce of this world cup doesnt exactly having me licking my lips for the next world cup.
    Assuming channel 9 allow it to run. They may kill it off to avoid further criticism.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

So ur happy of the way we all have been given games on tv....

Its not a fact of growing up its the fact that we the fans of NRL & RLWC are not happy with the way we have been treated and the sport itself..

Yes it takes time and i dont think any1 not argee with u but if they p1ss the fans off at the start they not going to have much luck down the track.....