Default Warriors welcome back Stacey

Warriors welcome back Stacey
    By staff writers
    November 07, 2008 NEW Zealand rugby league legend Stacey Jones will return to the NRL in 2009, having signed a one-year contract with the Warriors.

The much-decorated 32-year-old says an approach by Warriors coach Ivan Cleary and a taste of top-level football with the All Golds had rekindled his desire to again playing the NRL.

?It?s a huge decision but I?m so excited about what?s ahead,? said Jones.

A veteran of 238 NRL games, Jones last played for Warriors in 2005 before moving to France and linking up with Les Catalans in the English Super League.

After two years with the French club, contractual issue meant Jones was forced to sit on the sidelines in 2008.

?The truth is I had originally signed a new contract to play on with Les Catalans this year but it was a bit rushed" he said.

"By then we?d had two great years in Perpignan and we were homesick and really keen to come back,

?The club was good about it and let me go but on the condition I couldn?t play for any other club in 2008.?

His commitment to play in the New Zealand Rugby League?s farewell match to long-time Kiwi team-mate Ruben Wiki on October 12 compelled Jones to take on a training programme.

?After training to play for the All Golds in New Plymouth and playing in that game, I realised how much I had missed being out there,? he said.

The inspirational half-back and leader is aware of the challenge that lies ahead in returning to peak fitness, but says the driving force behind his return is very clear.

?My motivation is to try to help the club win a premiership.

"I like the look of the roster the Warriors have for next season.

"To me, it?s one of the most exciting all-round squads the club has had."

Watch out, the Warriors are amasing some strike weapons for Next year! They are starting to sound like a top 4 side again. They've also picked up one of the NRLs leading try scorers for the year in Denan Kemp who slotted about 19 odd tries this year on the wing for the Bronco's. Combine that with the likes of McKinnon and Tate and their natural free flowing style and they will have some points in them next year.

If they can keep him on the paddock for the majority of the season and then the business end of the year they've got to be in as much contention for the flag as Melbourne and Manly.

They've got a great pack that can eat the meters with the ability to push an offload, getting it to their fast and fairly impressive back line. If Witt and Rovelli can get them within 80 minutes of a GF, then that touch of class from Stacey ought to get them that bit further.

Worth an early punt before the odds drop too much I reckon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    If they can keep him on the paddock for the majority of the season and then the business end of the year they've got to be in as much contention for the flag as Melbourne and Manly.

They've got a great pack that can eat the meters with the ability to push an offload, getting it to their fast and fairly impressive back line. If Witt and Rovelli can get them within 80 minutes of a GF, then that touch of class from Stacey ought to get them that bit further.

Worth an early punt before the odds drop too much I reckon.
    Given the amount of halves the Warriors have i wouldn't count on seeing Rovelli or Witt too much next year.

I think Stacey has been bought mainly due to the young halves Moon and Foran who are really untested.

He may be 32 and has been out of the game for a year but hes only 10 months older than Lockyer and a few years younger than Menzies. Will be awesome to see him in Warriors colours again and really hope he holds up his reputation.

I heard they wanted Moon as a 5/8, theres just so many playmaker options there now it wouldn't surprise me if they try and push someone like witt into an early release to free up some money.

A team like the Panthers could really do with anouther playmaker option for next year I'm sure if they offered him a deal Warriors management would be receptive to looking at it.