Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

FIVE million dollars' profit, a sell-out crowd and a World Cup final between Australia and New Zealand in the game's centenary year, which exploded before a tackle was made.

What followed was a remarkable 80 minutes and an even more remarkable result. The underdog Kiwis repeated their stunning 2005 Tri-Nations upset with a dramatic 34-20 victory, on the back of a spirited New Zealand attack, sealed with a penalty try awarded by English video referee Steve Ganson.

Where are the knockers now?

The traditional pre-game haka set the scene with the players standing toe-to-toe eyeballing each other.

The Suncorp Stadium crowd of more than 50,000 loved every second of it, roaring their approval.

New Zealand-born Karmichael Hunt burst from the pack screaming at his Australian teammates to respond after the pumped up Kiwis taunted the Aussies with the most aggressive war chant seen in clashes between the two.

The sight of 80 kilogram Kiwi Issac Luke snarling at 110 kilogram Aussie giant Brent Kite was priceless.

Despite being walloped by a series of electrical storms during the week, rugby league fans packed into the ground in their thousands.

The Kangaroos went into the final overwhelming favourites having won all previous World Cup final clashes against New Zealand.

The competitive match surprised rugby league pundits, many of whom expected a walkover. But the underdog Kiwis had a secret weapon this time, Australian supercoach Wayne Bennett.

Bennett worked on the players' self-belief while head coach Stephen Kearney prepared them tactically.

It took Australian fullback Billy Slater less than 20 minutes to show why he was named the Rugby League International Federation's player of the year on Monday, laying on tries for his skipper and man-of-the-match Darren Lockyer and also winger David Williams.

However, it was moment of Slater madness when he hurled the ball blindly over his shoulder that gifted Kiwi five-eighth Benji Marshall a try that put New Zealand ahead 22-16 with just 20 minutes left.

When Australia - looking to win the World Cup for the seventh straight time - cruised to a 10-0 lead, which threatened to go to 16-0 after Lockyer failed to ground a grubber kick, it seemed the critics tipping a one-sided final were on the money.

"This could be embarrassing," came the cry in the press box.

Ten minutes later the Kiwis somehow found themselves ahead 12-10 following tries to Jeremy Smith and David Fa'alogo.

Lockyer, as he so often does for Australia, regained the lead 16-12 just before halftime.

Suddenly, it was game on again, but ultimately it was the New Zealanders who celebrated a monumental upset triumph.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Moments of madness that cost Kangaroos

Australia 20 New Zealand 34

IT WAS meant to be predictable, but the finish was irresistible. A joke became a choke.

And it was controversial, after a penalty try gave New Zealand the unassailable lead to snatch the World Cup from Australia, so dominant in the tournament but this morning only dormant.

It was a memorable night but one to forget completely for two Australians, fullback Billy Slater and winger Joel Monaghan, the centre of the two biggest plays.

After a blunder by Slater - named the best player in the world during the week and the player of the tournament after full-time - helped the Kiwis to a six-point lead, video referee Steve Ganson awarded them a penalty try with just 10 minutes remaining after Monaghan had held back Lance Hohaia.

Halfback Nathan Fien had kicked through but as the bounce evaded Monaghan, he thrust an arm around Hohaia and could not have expected anything other than a penalty try, giving the Kiwis an unassailable eight-point lead - extended by Adam Blair with five minutes remaining - and the World Cup.

"I think the big thing there is that he didn't get an opportunity, did he, to try and effect the try?" New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney said. "He never got that opportunity. That's the decision that had to be made."

Kearney said he felt numb after the game but surely not as numb as Slater. His blunder occurred after 61 minutes. After fielding a kick, he tried to take on Manu Vatuvei down only the slightest corridor and, when the Kiwi winger nabbed his man, Slater hurled the ball back infield, as Jarryd Hayne did in similarly disastrous circumstances in a State of Origin clash at the same ground last year.

The ball bounced invitingly for Benji Marshall, somewhat erratic but great to watch on the night, and the Kiwis had a six-point lead with less than a quarter remaining. If Herschelle Gibbs had dropped the World Cup, Slater had thrown it away.

Slater's Melbourne teammate Greg Inglis took the Australians back to within two points, after skipper Darren Lockyer's lovely cut-out pass, but it was not enough.

And so the Australians again had failed at the final hurdle in a big tournament, just three years after their 24-0 loss to the same side in the Tri-Nations. Their coach then, Wayne Bennett - in the opposing box last night - had his revenge.

This one will take a while to get over. It was the Australians who began strongest but, as they have done throughout the tournament, the Kiwis improved as the match went on.

It was a spirited night which was entertaining even before kick-off. After Advance Australia Fair, it was advance Australia, as the Kangaroos linked arms and took steps towards the Kiwis during their haka. The Kiwis advanced themselves, and for much of the war dance they were so close they could have been engaged in a slow dance.

But while the Australians stood up to the haka in the most thrilling fashion, the Kiwis did something almost as surprising by standing up to the Australians. It was equally thrilling, especially after giving the Kangaroos a start with two tries in the first 17 minutes.

"It's been a theme of our tournament to not have any regrets," Kiwi skipper Nathan Cayless said. "We certainly don't have any now."

No regrets, but certainly respect. "We deserve respect [now]," Cayless said. "No one can take it away from us."

Asked if it was the result the international game needed, Cayless said: "I don't know. It's the result I needed."

After Australia's quick start, two Kiwi tries in four minutes put the defending champions behind on the scoreboard for the first time in the tournament. The first came through desperation by Jeremy Smith, and the second through enterprise by referee Ashley Klein, who allowed play to continue after Marshall appeared to lose possession, resulting in Jerome Ropati's try. The problem with doing that is, like tormenting a caged animal, eventually they're going to hit back hard. And they did so with a beauty. Lockyer had three of the eight touches and finished off the play for his second try of the night. Anthony Watmough threw the final ball.

It wasn't bad for someone who was preparing to only show neat footwork on the dance floor last night after being drafted into the squad when Steve Price was ruled out after a training ground injury. But there would be no dancing later though.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

New Zealand humble Kangaroos in World Cup final in Brisbane

BILLY Slater's season of magic spontaneously combusted in a moment of madness and, combined with a controversial penalty try, gave New Zealand their first ever Rugby League World Cup with a stunning 34-20 upset of Australia at Suncorp Stadium Saturday night.

Massive underdogs heading into the match, the Kiwis pulled off the biggest upset in World Cup history - the Kangaroos surrendering their No.1 ranking to their transtasman rivals with their first loss since 2006.

The Aussies were left lamenting a series of blunders and a massive call from video referee Steve Ganson - the Englishman awarding the visitors a penalty try with ten minutes remaining on the back a horrendous Slater error when he gifted Benji Marshall a try to give New Zealand rugby league their proudest moment.

"The game was back was in a bad state this time last year and some tough decisions had to be made," Stephen Kearney said of his elevation to the coaching position after Gary Kemp's sacking.

"I'm very pleased for the game back home, it's something on the back of what the Warriors achieved this year, I think it's been a real boost for our game."

Ganson ruled Australian winger Joel Monaghan had taken out Lance Hohaia as he chased through a Benji Marshall grubber, though Slater's proximity to the incident gave doubt as to whether the Kiwi No.1 would have got to the ball first.

Earlier Slater, who was named player of the tournament, chanced his arm one too many times, his flirtation with the touchline ending in disaster.

He flicked the ball infield ten metres out from his own line only to watch in horror as Marshall pounced to dive over for a 22-16 lead with just 19 minutes remaining.

Australia coach Ricky Stuart refused to blame his brilliant full-back.

"I love Billy Slater as a bloke and as a footy player and I would never ever be critical of Billy," Stuart said.

"He's in the work space at that time and he knows what to do - some of them don't come off, some of them do.

"We didn't play our best game, and (there was a chance) that was always going to happen.

"You only have to have one off night and you can be got against the English and New Zealand, they can get you and that was proven tonight."

The Australians had romped though the preliminary rounds with massive winning margins over every opponent.

New Zealand were their own worst enemies early in the final with Benji Marshall blowing a easy chance for a try when he failed to ground a Nathan Fein grubber.

Lockyer crossed for Australia's first after Slater looked like he had butchered the opportunity when he elected to go himself.

Williams ran away for a 10-0 lead but a denied try to Lockyer turned the contest with Jeremy Smith and then Jerome Ropati - after Marshall had been ruled to have been stripped of the ball - putting the Kiwis up 12-10.

Lockyer completed his double to restore Australia's advantage 16-12 at half-time.

But it wasn't enough as the Kiwis flew home after the break to become the first side other than Australia to win a World Cup since Great Britain's win in 1972.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

Titans First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Dragon View Post
    the ref should have been wearing black, not pink. And don't get me started on the video ref.

I thought Mr Klein made 2 calls which were a little harsh on Australia apart from that he reffed a good game, he let play continue where others would have stopped it. As for Steve Ganson im not sure what you didnt like about him? The 4 tries that weren't tries he called correctly, the penalty try was a brave call which most have accepted as a logical call. Does anyone know why the Aussie player didnt get sin binned?

Quote Originally Posted by ~lee~ View Post
    I thought Mr Klein made 2 calls which were a little harsh on Australia apart from that he reffed a good game, he let play continue where others would have stopped it. As for Steve Ganson im not sure what you didnt like about him? The 4 tries that weren't tries he called correctly, the penalty try was a brave call which most have accepted as a logical call. Does anyone know why the Aussie player didnt get sin binned?
    I agree,I thought all the officials did their job for a change and Monaghan should certainly have spent the last ten minutes in the bin.In Aus we usually have a tendency try and make somebody a scapegoat, the officials will probably get slammed in this mornings papers etc when in fact the frustration should be aimed at the team who looked like deer in the headlights.We looked clueless as NZ came prepared to play.

I'm still trying to understand how darren lockyer got MOM, someone "high up" must have had a few dollars on it or somthing

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

[QUOTE=~lee~;239249]I thought Mr Klein made 2 calls which were a little harsh on Australia apart from that he reffed a good game, he let play continue where others would have stopped it. As for Steve Ganson im not sure what you didnt like about him? The 4 tries that weren't tries he called correctly, the penalty try was a brave call which most have accepted as a logical call. Does anyone know why the Aussie player didnt get sin binned?[/QUOTE]

Yes in the rules that cause they was a penatly try he dosent get sent off but if it was'nt a penatly try he would of been sent off..

Brad i like ur knew sig but the knocker is still here and thats me im sorry but a final dos'nt make up for the way the sport and the fans have been treated over the past month... I watched the game and it was a great game and a big well done to the NZ they really turned up and play a great game....

Regardless of whether that was a penalty try or not... the better side got the win yesterday no doubting that... and good on them, it's great for international RL and for NZ...

Well done to the New Zealand... I thought Australia would run them down, but in the end, the Aussies weren't patient enough and perhaps were too bravado about the whole thing an didn't play smart enough... the brain explosions by Williams and Slater were a sign of that... and when they got behind, they got desparate and dangerous.

On the other hand the Kiwis whilst at times sliding back to their old habits, for the most part were tough, committed and always having a go... they never gave up and good on Kearney and Bennett for getting a team that at times in this WC looked less than ordinary to shine...

I thought Manu Vautevi had a superb game, Jerome Roparti stood up and was counted and Issac Luke showed why he is such a loss to our club... he was devastating at times. It was also good to see Benji back to his better play... signs look good for Tigers in 09....

I am sad to see the Aussies lose, but I am more than happy because a better side won and in the end, it was good for Rugby League... and I guess there's more satisfaction in that in the long haul then there would have been had Australia won by 50.

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    Brad i like ur knew sig but the knocker is still here and thats me im sorry but a final dos'nt make up for the way the sport and the fans have been treated over the past month...

yeah, his sig is weird. It's not all about making money. It sounds like a bank CEO-we'll treat our customers like sh!t,give them awful service and make record profits because of it.

You'd expect a world cup final to be sold out in any sport. What about the other 17 games that had p!ss poor crowds? or does that not matter? They should have gone around to local schools or members of NRL clubs and just given away thousands of tickets once they realised nobody was going to turn up to these games,at least the stadiums would have had crowds then and it would have introduced the next generation to "live" footy

I'm as shell-shocked as everyone else, but honestly, it was the best result for the game. And it was a great game to watch and be part of.

I agree with others that a great final doesn't make a great tournament, but this thread is about the final, and the final was as good as it gets! A fairytale finish, well deserved by the Kiwis, and now plenty to look forward to in years to come.

Just as a side note to the result, it just shows how much self-belief and a positive psychological outlook can give you the edge that might make the difference. Other teams played to try and reduce their losing margins, but last night NZ fought back from 2 tries down to pull ahead and put the Roo's to the sword. Nice one Wayne Bennett. Well done NZ.

Good post Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Dragon View Post
    Went to the game. A cracker of a match, pity about the result. To make matters worse I'm married to a Kiwi. While the Kiwis thoroughly deserved their win, the ref should have been wearing black, not pink. And don't get me started on the video ref.

Had a bunch of Poms sitting behind me, who spent most fo the night bagging the video ref! Had a chat to them after the game, seemed liek top blokes, and very passionate about their League. When I mentioned soccer, thinking that all Poms follow the game, I got this response: "Nah, I hate soccer it's a game for nancy boys!" Now while I follow the beautiful game myself, it pleased me no end to see such passion for what is and always will be my first sporting love - Rugby League.

By the way, there were 50,599 there tonight - and I believe it, the only empty sections were a couple of the corporate boxes. Finally the kind of crowd this event deserved. I live in hope that one day international Rugby League will once again be the pinnacle of our game like it was in the past. Passionate Blues fan that I am, I honestly believe international footy should trump Origin. It's a crying shame it doesn't. And it is an even bigger crying shame that a perfect opportunity to give international League a massive shot in the arm was totally butchered by the powers that be, and by channel 9.

Jason

p.s. how funny was it seeing the tool announcer reminding Lockyer to thank the coaching staff?
    Im sure when you watch the game again in the cold light of day,you will realise the ref actually had a very good game,maybe 1 or 2 that could be queried,certainly less mistakes than the vast majority of the players out there.

It was a great match & the atmosphere at the ground was brilliant & the Kiwi's deserved their win which will be great for the game back in NZ

I don't know if they named a man of the series but Lockyer would have won it hands down but the Man of the match last night was not him & should've gone to Jeremy Smith,Vatuvie or Isac Luke they all played brilliant games.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    It was a great match & the atmosphere at the ground was brilliant & the Kiwi's deserved their win which will be great for the game back in NZ

I don't know if they named a man of the series but Lockyer would have won it hands down but the Man of the match last night was not him & should've gone to Jeremy Smith,Vatuvie or Isac Luke they all played brilliant games.
    I think Billy the kid was named, i think???

And no way DL should of been man of the match that must of been decided at half time LOL..

So my msg was right than big guy??? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    So my msg was right than big guy??? LOL
    I support my country i'm not a Kiwi Closet Supporter who come out when they're are in front
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I support my country i'm not a Kiwi Closet Supporter who come out when they're are in front
    I dont go for the Kiwis im full aussie but watching the game i could just see how it was going to end.....