Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Williams on standby for injured Tate

AUSTRALIA winger Brent Tate hobbled into Brisbane Monday night refusing to concede a hip flexor injury received in the crushing semi-final win over Fiji had ended his hopes of lining up in Saturday's World Cup final.

Manly winger David Williams looks set to cap a stunning debut season in the NRL with a last-minute call-up to Australia's starting side after Tate collapsed in pain soon after crossing for his second try in the 52-0 demolition of a gallant Bati outfit in Sydney on Sunday night.

After starting the year playing park football, Williams emerged as one of the competition's most improved players and was most impressive in his Test debut, scoring three tries in Australia's pool win over Papua New Guinea in Townsville.

Williams said he would prepare for the final as though he had been selected.

"I would like to think (he will play) but I won't be taking anything for granted at the moment," Williams said.

"I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and get my hopes up and then not get selected.

"I will be putting myself in the right frame of mind for playing the game and hopefully it comes through."

Tate, however, is clinging to a glimmer of hope, desperate not to miss the chance to be part of the first World Cup final in eight years.

Outstanding in his first year with the Warriors since leaving Brisbane, the injury could not have come at a worse time.

He was starting to "find his feet" back out on the wing, having played most of the season in his favoured centre position.

"It is so frustrating.

"I said to some of the boys that the early part of the match was the first time all tournament I was feeling really comfortable," Tate said.

"The combinations in the team have just got better and better and personally I felt like my game was coming together.

"And one week out from such a big game ... it's pretty disappointing.

"From here it is just a day-to-day thing.

"All I can do is go through the right rehab, keep my fingers crossed and stay positive.

"I'd give anything to be out there on Saturday."

The injury happened as Tate, 26, ran across the field mid-way through the first half.

Not touched by the opposition, he heard his hip "pop" and was immediately forced from the field.

"I won't get scans," Tate said.

"I will just wait and see how it settles down.

Hopefully it improves over the next couple of days because this is a game I certainly don't want to miss."

There is also doubt about the final make-up of Ricky Stuart's bench.

Manly's grand final hero, Josh Perry, is adamant he could have played against Fiji, despite carrying an injured shoulder.

Veteran Sydney player Craig Fitzgibbon was preferred but Perry said he has not given up on earning a recall.

"I'm 100 per cent ready to go," Perry said.

"I'm looking to get back into the team this week and play in the World Cup final.

"Ricky knew I was carrying my shoulder a bit.

He wanted a bit of experience and went with Fitzy.

"It will be tough to get back in there next week but I have my fingers crossed."

New Zealand also have an injury problem.

Hard-hitting centre Steve Matai will not be considered for selection due to ongoing shoulder and neck problems that will require off-season surgery.

http://www.foxsports.com.au
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans First Grader

Its good to see Ashley Klein as the ref, most of the other refs have been shocking.

STUART NAMES UNCHANGED LINE-UP

Ricky Stuart has named an unchanged line-up for Saturday's World Cup decider against New Zealand.

There are injury concerns with Brent Tate and Paul Gallen and also Karmichael Hunt who is suffering from a badly bruised knee cap.

David Williams remains on standby for Tate, while Anthony Watmough and Josh Perry will come into calculations should Gallen not recover in time.

Kangaroos team to play New Zealand in the World Cup Final at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, November 22nd.

Australian Kangaroos

1. Billy Slater
    2. Joel Monaghan
    3. Greg Inglis
    4. Israel Folau
    5. Brent Tate
    6. Darren Lockyer (c)
    7. Johnathan Thurston
    8. Petero Civoniceva
    9. Cameron Smith
    10. Steve Price
    11. Glenn Stewart
    12. Anthony Laffranchi
    13. Paul Gallen

Interchange:
    14. Karmichael Hunt
    15. Craig Fitzgibbon
    16. Anthony Tupou
    17. Brent Kite

Source: http://www.rleague.com

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

KIWIS RETAIN WINNING LINE-UP FOR WORLD CUP FINAL

The Pirtek Kiwis will take an unchanged line-up into the Rugby League World Cup grand final against Australia at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

Coach Stephen Kearney today retained the same combination that eliminated England 32-22 semi-final at the same venue last Saturday night.

That means 23-year-old second rower Bronson Harrison will again start alongside David Fa'alogo in the second row with Sika Manu on the interchange bench. In the side originally named last week, Harrison was listed on the bench but he was subsequently used as a starting second rower, celebrating by scoring his first test try early in the second half.

Set to start his 16th test is winger Manu Vatuvei, the only New Zealand player who won a spot in the team of the year named at the inaugural International Rugby League Awards in Brisbane on Monday night.

While Vatuvei was voted winger of the year, Australian players filled seven of the nine positional categories in the year's top team including player of the year Billy Slater, Israel Folau, Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Anthony Laffranchi and Paul Gallen who are all set to be in Australia's World Cup final line-up.

"The Kangaroos have some wonderful players and they've played some fantastic football during the tournament so far," said Kearney.

"We've shown improvement over the past few weeks and we're really pleased with the achievement in reaching the World Cup final but we were disappointed with aspects of our effort against England last week.

"While we know we'll need to be a lot better against Australia, we're excited with the opportunity we have. We don't want to have any regrets on Saturday night."

This will be New Zealand's third appearance in a World Cup final and also the third title decider against Australia. The previous two ended in losses - 12-25 in 1988 and 12-40 in the last World Cup staged in 2000.

The Pirtek Kiwis head into the 2008 decider with four wins in five tests in the past five weeks. They've beaten Tonga 56-8, Papua New Guinea 48-6 and England 36-24 and 32-22 on successive weekends. Their one loss was the 6-30 defeat by Australia in the World Cup's official opening match in Sydney on October 26.

Enjoying a rich vein of try-scoring form in those five tests has been centre Jerome Ropati. After scoring three in the win against Tonga, he added another against Papua New Guinea and bagged a double against England last Saturday night. In all, he has nine tries in his nine tests so far.

World Cup Final
    Kiwis V Australia
    Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
    7.00pm, Saturday, November 22, 2008
    Referee: Ashley Klein (England)

New Zealand Kiwis

1 Lance Hohaia (Vodafone Warriors)
    2 Sam Perrett (Sydney Roosters)
    3 Simon Mannering (Vodafone Warriors)
    4 Jerome Ropati (Vodafone Warriors)
    5 Manu Vatuvei (Vodafone Warriors)
    6 Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
    7 Nathan Fien (Vodafone Warriors)
    8 Nathan Cayless (c) (Parramatta)
    9 Thomas Leuluai (Wigan)
    10 Adam Blair (Melbourne)
    11 David Fa'alogo (South Sydney)
    12 Bronson Harrison (South Sydney)
    13 Jeremy Smith (Melbourne)

Interchange:
    14 Issac Luke (South Sydney)
    15 Greg Eastwood (Brisbane)
    16 Sam Rapira (Vodafone Warriors)
    17 Sika Manu (Melbourne)

Coach: Stephen Kearney

Source: http://www.nzrl.co.nz

Tate out, Williams gets call

MANLY winger David Williams will today be officially called into Australia's World Cup team to play the Kiwis in Saturday night's final at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

The Daily Telegraph understands Brent Tate - named in the team yesterday - has not recovered sufficiently from a hip flexor injury sustained in last Sunday's semi-final.

Tate warmed up with the side before training yesterday but did not run. He later had scans on his hip.

Australian team management last night said Tate was still in the side.

Kangaroos lock Paul Gallen (thigh) is also in some doubt with Anthony Watmough on standby. Meanwhile hostilities between 60-year rivals Manly and Parramatta re-ignited last night over Williams. The Daily Telegraph reported this week that, due to salary cap constraints, Manly may have to ditch Williams or fellow winger Michael Robertson after next year.

Williams is on a modest base contract of $50,000 but is ready to ask Manly for a deal worth $200,000 a season - the same price being sought by Robertson, a three-try grand final hero who represented Scotland in the World Cup.

Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald jumped straight in last night claiming he would like Williams to return to Parramatta, the player's former club. But Manly CEO Grant Mayer responded by telling Fitzgerald to keep away from Williams.

Cheekily, Manly recently referred to Parramatta as its feeder club - the Sea Eagles having poached a number of players including Ray Higgs, Geoff Gerard, Tony Melrose, David Liddiard, Scott Donald, Shayne Dunley, Kylie Leuluai and Jamie Lyon - from Sydney's west to the northern beaches.

But Fitzgerald may be considering a "get square". "David Williams is a very good player - if he was available, we'd love to see him come back," he said last night.

World Cup final teams:

Australia: Billy Slater, Joel Monaghan, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau, Brent Tate, Darren Lockyer (capt), Johnathan Thurston, Petero Civoniceva, Cameron Smith, Steve Price, Glenn Stewart, Anthony Laffranchi, Paul Gallen. Interchange: Karmichael Hunt, Craig Fitzgibbon, Anthony Tupou, Brent Kite.

New Zealand: Lance Hohaia, Sam Perrett, Simon Mannering, Jerome Ropati, Manu Vatuvei, Benji Marshall, Nathan Fien, Nathan Cayless (captain), Thomas Leuluai, Adam Blair, Bronson Harrison, David Fa'alogo, Jeremy Smith. Interchange - Issac Luke, Greg Eastwood, Sam Rapira, Sika Manu.

Source: http://www.news.com.au

Steve Price is out of the World Cup Final! He tore a hamstring at training! Big loss for the Roos.

Shame a great guy like Price can be there, he deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Steve Price is out of the World Cup Final! He tore a hamstring at training! Big loss for the Roos.

Shame a great guy like Price can be there, he deserves it.
    That sucks for him. He's a genuine decent guy who deserves the honour. Might only win by 26 or so now.

does anyone know the updated line up then for both aussies and kiwis

For those of you who haven't got tickets yet...... wait till you see the massive entretainment schedule leading up to kick off........

Please see below the run down of events for the Rugby League World Cup final at Suncorp Stadium

5pm- Gates Open

6pm- Team of the Century presentation

6.30pm- Performance by Natalie Bassingthwaighte

7pm local time, 8pm AEDST- Kick-Off
    Wow! Can't wait to rush in and get tickets for the next RLWC we host. That's if I've recovered from all this "entertainment" by then.

ill be at the caxton from 4-6

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    ill be at the caxton from 4-6
    Might swing by and meet up for a beer. I'll have the kids with me so it'll have to be out the front. I'll msg u when we get there. Cheers.

See you at the game guys! Go Kangaroos!

wot a huge lineup they have planned.... am sooooo upset now that i dont have tickets.....

NB: the above message was said with extreme sacarism...
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    For those of you who haven't got tickets yet...... wait till you see the massive entretainment schedule leading up to kick off........

Wow! Can't wait to rush in and get tickets for the next RLWC we host. That's if I've recovered from all this "entertainment" by then.
    All the Gf have better line ups than this p1ss of sh1t we call RLWC.......

How good was Boofs first run, he made about 30+ metres

It looks like England is playing, The whole crowd looks like they're wearing white