Default Mick De Vere keen to return to NRL with Broncos

Mick De Vere keen to return to NRL with Broncos
    By Steve Ricketts | December 29, 2008 11:00pm
    http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003409,00.html

FORMER Test winger Mick De Vere is still waiting to get the green light from the NRL to resume his playing career with the Broncos after two years in retirement.
    De Vere and the Broncos must convince the NRL to exclude the 32-year-old's job as a coaching and development officer with Easts Carina from salary cap assessments.

If not De Vere's comeback dreams could be over because it is unlikely the Broncos will have room to move under the cap.

De Vere announced his retirement after playing for Huddersfield in 2006 and returned to Australia where he took on the Easts Carina job, partly funded by the Broncos.

In the past 12 months he realised how much he missed playing and his aim is to become a 10-year player with the Broncos by playing in 2009.

De Vere wants to keep working in coaching and development and despite the demands on his time believes he can deliver for Easts Carina and the Broncos.

"The number one reason I'm playing is because I love the game and I love the Broncos and I want to come back and help the club," he said. "I also miss competing. Being out of it probably helped me get my desire back because I'd achieved everything I wanted winning premierships, playing State of Origin and playing for Australia.

"I wanted to go and play in England and I did that. So once I achieved all my goals I didn't have the same passion or desire.

"But getting into coaching and development gives you a new perspective on the game and it probably ignited that passion in me.

"I didn't really get to finish the way I wanted to here either with a knee injury and I had nine years and I'd like to have my 10th."

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said the club had submitted a detailed case to salary cap auditor Ian Schubert and they expected an answer early in the new year.

"We are not looking for anything special," Cullen said. "Mick just wants to continue in a job he has held for two years."
    BRISBANE BRONCOS PREMIERS '92 '93 '97 '98 '00 '06 '09

As much as I'd love to see mick play for the broncs again in 09 I doubt theyll let this through the salary cap net, he be basicly on the books as earning for example $50,000 for playing and $90,000 as a development officer, but they only want the 50k to count in the cap. Its kind of iffy but they've done the right thing and given the auditors the full wrap so guess we'll just see.
    BRISBANE BRONCOS PREMIERS '92 '93 '97 '98 '00 '06 '09

WHERE DO U THINK KEVIN SICKOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    As much as I'd love to see mick play for the broncs again in 09 I doubt theyll let this through the salary cap net, he be basicly on the books as earning for example $50,000 for playing and $90,000 as a development officer, but they only want the 50k to count in the cap. Its kind of iffy but they've done the right thing and given the auditors the full wrap so guess we'll just see.
    yeah im a broncos man i really want mick bak great player for us we need him actiually with denan kemp going going and GONE!!!!!!!!!!!to the warriors so yeah we kinda need him at least we got israel faulou tho lol!!!!!!!!

Junior Titan

The NRL have to tread carefully here, this case could set a dangerous precedent. If this is allowed then suddenly coaching juniors will fetch players hundreds of thousands a year.

I think Mick De Vere was one of the Broncos most liked players throughout the whole RL community & i think he would be a great asset to the Bronco's "Coaching" staff but if they are looking at Mick to play 1st grade in the NRL then they must be very short in their ranks to look a player that hasn't played 1st grade in 2 years & would be expected to compete in the Toughest Rugby League competition in the World
    #itaintweaktospeak

They're not after anything special, just permission to rort the salary cap.

We might see some leagues clubs employing 500k a year part time doormen.