Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Sticking with Storm justified" - Steve Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Skynews.com
    Days away from a third straight NRL grand final, Steve Turner claims the tumultuous decision to turn his back on the Gold Coast Titans has been justified.

By all rights, Turner should have just completed his second season with the Titans after agreeing to a three-year deal with the club in early 2006.

But midway through that 2006 campaign, Turner changed his mind, declaring he wanted to remain in the Victorian capital.

It kickstarted a bitter battle for his services, with Turner forced to train on his own for part of the 2007 pre-season as the NRL, Melbourne and the Gold Coast sought a resolution to the matter.

Eventually the Storm gifted the Titans a pair of players as compensation for freeing Turner from his contract, and the elusive flyer hasn't looked back since.

'It's not so much the grand finals that justify it ... it's just the boys and the coaching staff and the lifestyle I've got down in Melbourne, that's why I wanted to stay,' Turner said.

'There was a few up and down times what with all the injuries and the Gold Coast stuff - I can't believe I'm about to play in my third grand final.

'Most blokes don't get an opportunity to play in one if in any. It has obviously been a good decision to stay here at the Storm.'

Asked if he ever thought about what might have been, Turner - who made his NSW Origin debut this year, said: 'Sometimes it does pop up into your head, what if I did go to the Titans?

'I wouldn't have had the opportunities I've had here,' he said.

'But that was two or three years ago now, my focus is now solely on the Storm.'

While Sunday's grand final against Manly will no doubt be another highlight for Turner, it will also come tinged with a little sadness no matter what the result at fulltime.

The game will be Turner's last alongside teenage star Israel Folau, with the diminutive winger paying tribute to his hulking running mate who will link up with Brisbane in 2009.

'I've enjoyed my couple of years with Israel, I've seen him go from strength to strength,' Turner said.

'He's one of the top players in our game at the moment.

'It's going to be sad not having him there next year, but I suppose it gives another young guy a chance that the Storm will blood no doubt - hopefully we can strike up the same combination me and Israel had.'
    Who wants to stick the boot in first?
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Horrible little over rated turd,Hope the Manly team knock him into next year this sunday. What he did should never be forgiven by anyone connected with the gold coast

I'm annoyed that he's got out of facing Gold coast fans up here after what he did.This season he got the most undeserved SOO call up so he didnt play at skilled and next season the storm aren't coming up here.

I love rubbing salt in old wounds
    Who's next?
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Horrible little over rated turd,Hope the Manly team knock him into next year this sunday. What he did should never be forgiven by anyone connected with the gold coast

I'm annoyed that he's got out of facing Gold coast fans up here after what he did.This season he got the most undeserved SOO call up so he didnt play at skilled and next season the storm aren't coming up here.
    He was signed to play fullback, right? If so, I guess we wouldn't have seen Presto do some of the stuff he's done over the last 2 years. I'm glad he isn't a Titan.

The only thing is, how long will it be until this stops coming up? It's almost been three years. I guess the only other thing the journos have the write about him is that he sucked in Origin this year.

Yeah, we haven't been in the grand finals, but with him and Carney both going back on their word (at least Mathers stuck around for one year), our team was thrown into disarray from the start, and we're still recovering from it.
    Blokes we might have signed got contracts elsewhere, and it takes a few years for a team to come right from that.

I think Presto would have been great wherever he played, but things will come good soon enough, some promising juniors and signings!

Turners a cat... sits on the wing and takes the credit for the good work of the rest of the side, honestly any half decent winger would land a bucket load of ties at the end of their pack.

Just look at origin 3 when he got turned into the human turnstile ... it'll be a while before he dons the blue jursey again I'd say!

My Grand Final Prediction:

Manly down by 2 points with 20 seconds to go, Orford swings it out wide to Turner's wing. Turner absolutely butchers the tackle and Manly win by 2.

Dead set. He is a scrub.

Wish he was played at skilled this year, we would have given it to that nobody.

I must first state that I hate what Turner and Carney did to the Titans and with the loss of Petersen, Mathers and Chris Walker our wing and fullback stocks did take a battering which we are still recovering from. Steve Turner had a shocker in Origin but I reckon Gasnier left him hung out to dry somewhat in that game and Gasnier does that from time to time at the Dragons too.

Whilst Turner is overrated and hasn't really played that well this season - he was tremendous last week against the Sharks and his efforts in diffusing kicks and shutting down Covell were first class.

We will recover sooner rather than later for the bad luck we've had with our back 3. At least we have had the chance to see Atkins, Tonga and Rapana have a red hot go on the wings and at least the first 2 of those will be better for the run next year and Walker will be back as well.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

I hope turn back turner trips just b4 the line and breaks his leg in the frist 5 mins so he will have to watch from the side lines.....

DOG DOG DOG

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Im glad Turner isnt with the Titans-hes a liability in defence and he has grubby morals,perfect for the Storm!
    He should be thanking the Titans for the chance to play in the grand final,we could have made him sit out the length of his contract,but did the right thing by him (god knows why!)
    If it wasnt for bellamy being soo coach he wouldnt have played for nsw.

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
    Im glad Turner isnt with the Titans-hes a liability in defence and he has grubby morals,perfect for the Storm!
    He should be thanking the Titans for the chance to play in the grand final,we could have made him sit out the length of his contract,but did the right thing by him (god knows why!)
    If it wasnt for bellamy being soo coach he wouldnt have played for nsw.
    you're another Penrith person about to live up here? ? That would be awesome

Yeah,cant wait!
    Im gonna be up there xmas time,majority of my family are from up there and will check out real estate and work opportunities

Nice, be sure to come for a BBQ or touch football game with us. We play basically every saturday

(I should point out that I used to live in South penrith next to the pioneer tavern)

For sure,will get directions when im up there

Titans First Grader goldcoastitans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
    Yeah,cant wait!
    Im gonna be up there xmas time,majority of my family are from up there and will check out real estate and work opportunities
    lol well let me know when you get up this way, because i am one of those annoying Real Estate Agents .....so ill try and u out as much as i can ....although we will have to cut a deal, when u living up this way and the panthers play the titans ......you sit in the titans section with your TITANS shirt on and cheer them the whole game
    Look forward to seeing another forum/titans member moving to the great GC!
    BECOME ONE OF US - BECOME A LEGIONNAIRE!