Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

September 25th, 2008

ANGRY Titans boss Michael Searle has branded the Burleigh Bears' decision to link with Gold Coast arch rivals Brisbane as an act of 'treason'.

Searle came out swinging yesterday after the Broncos confirmed a controversial new three-year deal, which will see the Bears become Brisbane's sixth 'affiliate club' in the Queensland Cup.

The move has rocked the Titans, who up until a few weeks ago were hopeful of re-establishing a feeder relationship for next season with the Gold Coast glamour club.

Searle said he was 'bitterly disappointed' by the decision, which will see the Broncos establish a stronghold in the heart of Titans territory.

"It is almost like treason," said Searle. "To have Gold Coast kids now tied with the Brisbane Broncos makes my guts turn.

"I just can't comprehend that they have gone to Brisbane.

"They have turned their back on the Titans for basically the same offer they walked away from with us in 2007. They walked away from that saying it wasn't about the money and they wanted their own identity and then they go and do this deal."

The Bulletin was unable to reach Burleigh chief executive officer Adrian Vowles yesterday and had to rely on a written statement.

"We are going to get a lot out of this in the area of coach education," said Vowles.

"In addition, all players at the club can be dually registered, which gives them the chance to step up to the highest level of rugby league in the world, the NRL."

While money is said not to be a factor, it is believed the Bears will receive $100,000 over three years. Vowles has previously said neither he nor the club was 'anti-Titans'.

But The Bulletin understands there is some bad blood between Vowles and the Titans, tracing back to disputes over players when the two clubs were aligned.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen hoped the deal would not affect Brisbane's close off-field relationship with the Titans.

Cullen said the Broncos only made the decision to push ahead with negotiations to prevent the Bears linking with a rival NSW club.

"We were approached quite out of left field by Burleigh," he said.

"I don't know why the Titans haven't been able to establish a close ongoing working relationship, that is not for my comment."

www.goldcoast.com.au
    Last edited by titanstattman; 25-09-08 at 08:35 AM.

Titans First Grader goldcoastitans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    September 25th, 2008

ANGRY Titans boss Michael Searle has branded the Burleigh Bears' decision to link with Gold Coast arch rivals Brisbane as an act of 'treason'.

Searle came out swinging yesterday after the Broncos confirmed a controversial new three-year deal, which will see the Bears become Brisbane's sixth 'affiliate club' in the Queensland Cup.

The move has rocked the Titans, who up until a few weeks ago were hopeful of re-establishing a feeder relationship for next season with the Gold Coast glamour club.

Searle said he was 'bitterly disappointed' by the decision, which will see the Broncos establish a stronghold in the heart of Titans territory.

"It is almost like treason," said Searle. "To have Gold Coast kids now tied with the Brisbane Broncos makes my guts turn.

"They have turned their back on the Titans for basically the same offer they walked away from with us in 2007. They walked away from that saying it wasn't about the money and they wanted their own identity and then they go and do this deal."

The Bulletin was unable to reach Burleigh chief executive officer Adrian Vowles yesterday and had to rely on a written statement.

"We are going to get a lot out of this in the area of coach education," said Vowles.

"In addition, all players at the club can be dually registered, which gives them the chance to step up to the highest level of rugby league in the world, the NRL."

While money is said not to be a factor, it is believed the Bears will receive $100,000 over three years. Vowles has previously said neither he nor the club was 'anti-Titans'.

But The Bulletin understands there is some bad blood between Vowles and the Titans, tracing back to disputes over players when the two clubs were aligned.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen hoped the deal would not affect Brisbane's close off-field relationship with the Titans.

Cullen said the Broncos only made the decision to push ahead with negotiations to prevent the Bears linking with a rival NSW club.

"I don't know why the Titans haven't been able to establish a close ongoing working relationship, that is not for my comment."

www.goldcoast.com.au
    Umm for some reason i dont think i will be going to the Burleigh Bears to watch up and coming stars anymore ....i might just go and support the Tweed Seagulls now!
    BECOME ONE OF US - BECOME A LEGIONNAIRE!

I hope NO titans fans go to Pizzey park next season

2 words **** off

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I hope NO titans fans go to Pizzey park next season

2 words **** off
    I know i hope the half of the gold coast dumps them..

And i would say 3 words **** off NOW......

Burleigh was getting a fair share of air time during the finals when Ray Warren kept commenting on players like Hannant,Boyd & Kemp & calling them all Burleigh Bears juniors when infact they are all Mudgerabba Redback juniors along with Steve Michaels who all went to Burleigh to try & make 1st grade as Mudgee didn't have a 1st grade team.

It has been stated earlier that is was Burleigh who cut ties with the Titans as they wanted to be the sole feeder club & as expected they were rejected which makes the Bears look a bit silly joining up with the Broncos when they already have 50% of the Qld Cup teams as "Their Feeder Clubs"
    #itaintweaktospeak

So where is Wendall going to play now? I liked the Souths Logan link with Canberra and I think it is a shame that the Storm and Norths link fell over. I can understand the Broncos linking with Central Comets but why have they got 6 feeder clubs? There won't be too many Broncos playing together when they're not in first grade! The Dragons will be on the hunt for a Qld Cup team to act as a feeder club now I think, unless they can get an Illawarra team in the NSW cup.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Apparently the Newcastle Knights may be looking for a Queensland feeder club as well with relations reportedly strained between them and Central Newcastle.

The Queensland Cup is going from strength to strength and the NSW Cup is crumbling, this isn't good for the game.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

BRONCOS BRING OUT ONE OF THE DIRTIEST PLAYS.

Searle slams Burleigh-Broncos link

Have your say on the feedback form below

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Can we please get Norths Devils?

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Isit that the same one i post the other day?????:dizzy: :dizzy:

Yea sorry Tats, I should have looked before I posted.

Absolutely outrageous though.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Yea sorry Tats, I should have looked before I posted.

Absolutely outrageous though.
    Hahaha its all good

I know i haope the bears dry in the arss from this

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Well,i wont be letting my son play for burleigh when he gets old enough!