Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    September 16th, 2008

THE Brisbane Broncos last night confirmed police had interviewed 'some' of their players over an alleged sexual assault of a woman in a Brisbane nightclub toilet on Saturday night.

Chief executive Bruno Cullen ...
    Where did you get this article from by the way?
    Because Ive been reading a lot about this and there's some stuff in this article that i haven't read anywhere else.
    -
    "And that's the ball game" - Steve 'Blocker' Roach after NSW hit the lead 23-18 with 5 mins to go...
    State Of Origin Game 1 1998
    -
    1992 - 1993 - 1997 - 1998 - 2000 - 2006

I was reading about it on the fox site, and while the three players are mentioned, they state four players might get axed.

Definitely a lot more we're not hearing about, as is usually the case. The media love beating up a story, we'll probably never know what really went on.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dummy Half View Post
    Where did you get this article from by the way?
    Because Ive been reading a lot about this and there's some stuff in this article that i haven't read anywhere else.
    -
    www.goldcoast.com.au

And if u go on ther and go to the fox sport link u'll read more about it...

Police investigation could take weeks
    By Laine Clark
    September 16, 2008

QUEENSLAND Police Minister Judy Spence says it will take weeks to decide if any Broncos NRL players will be charged over an alleged sexual assault on a woman in a Brisbane nightclub toilet.

Meanwhile she has urged people to go to this weekend's elimination final against Melbourne Storm.

?I would encourage people not to pre-judge these players or the events surrounding this incident on the weekend, come along to the Broncos match this weekend,? she said.

?It's going to be a very important match. The full team will be playing. Please don't start making judgements about what happened until the police finish their investigation,? she told reporters.

Broncos and Queensland State of Origin stars Karmichael Hunt, Darius Boyd and Sam Thaiday were named in media reports as the three players questioned by police after a 24-year-old woman alleged she was sexually assaulted in the male toilets of the Alhambra Lounge in inner-city Fortitude Valley.

?The police have got a lot of work to do before they conclude their investigation,? Ms Spence said.

?I was talking to the Acting Commissioner (Kathy Rynders) this morning, and she is telling me it is likely that it will take another couple of weeks before they conclude their investigation.

?Until that happens I am not going to be pre-judging the actions of these players.?

The Broncos have confirmed three of their players are cooperating with police. However, neither police nor the club have named the trio.

Ms Spence does not believe the Broncos' club name has been tarnished by the controversy.

?I know the Broncos team, management and the players themselves do everything they can to promote a positive, healthy, wholesome image and they don't want to see their image tarnished,? she said.

?But it is far too early to start saying that their image is tarnished - we don't know what actually took place on the weekend.?

Asked if the Broncos players should be stood down from the must-win Suncorp Stadium match against the minor premiers, Ms Spence said that was up to the club.

?But I believe at this stage that they are going to be playing this weekend and it is going to be a great game.?

Ms Spence did not believe the police investigation would affect ticket sales for the weekend clash which could be the club swansong for several players and foundation coach Wayne Bennett.

The NRL said more than 13,000 tickets had been sold in the first 20 minutes of public sales.

Police set up a crime scene at the nightclub and seized footage from security cameras.

Broncos players had been out celebrating the club's tough finals win over the Roosters in Sydney.

The Broncos have a hard-line player code of conduct. Four players have recently been sacked for drinking-related incidents.

Meanwhile, bookmakers across the country have suspended grand final betting and all betting involving the Broncos until police complete their investigations.

AAP

-
    "And that's the ball game" - Steve 'Blocker' Roach after NSW hit the lead 23-18 with 5 mins to go...
    -

She willingly went into a MALE niteclub bathroom with THREE MEN, what other outcome was there going to be?

They were saying that even if no criminal charges are laid the 3 of them should be sacked anyways...pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Perhaps Brisbane will be at full strength this weekend afterall.
    If this thing is going to take weeks and no-one has been charged.
    Unless the club knows more about this than the police and the players are stood down.
    But in sudden death finals footy?? I would be surprised if they did.
    -
    -

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    They were saying that even if no criminal charges are laid the 3 of them should be sacked anyways...pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
    Yes and no on that one as there are a high profile players and they know alot better than to do that kind of stuff out in public how were'nt they going to be caught even if she didnt make a complat sum1 would of seen it than told the papers and etc so to me IF DID HAPPEN they should be ashamed of them selfs

Titans First Grader goldcoastitans's Avatar

She willingly went into a MALE niteclub bathroom with THREE MEN, what other outcome was there going to be?

they can happily join the Titans in my books if they not charged and get sacked
    BECOME ONE OF US - BECOME A LEGIONNAIRE!

I don't know, Bird was cut from his team instantly. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. I remember CS saying that he shouldn't be stood down and he was yelled down, yet in this case, oh no, it's all some huge mistake?

Forgetting whatever happened with this girl, they were kicked out of one pub earlier in the day, and out partying during the finals? There's issues besides. This from a senior player like Thaiday and the apparent future captain of the club?

There's a lot of rumours flying around, so it's impossible to judge what really happened. Maybe they forced or coerced her in, maybe she went with one and the others joined in, maybe she thought this would be a great way to make a quick buck.

Quote Originally Posted by goldcoastitans View Post
    they can happily join the Titans in my books if they not charged and get sacked
    If that happens, anyone want my jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    www.goldcoast.com.au

And if u go on ther and go to the fox sport link u'll read more about it...
    I still cant find the exact article, the one with the specific details about the alleged incident.

I serched the website and they are all similar to the ones on foxsports.com.au.
    "alleged sexual assault" is all they will say

I cant believe an article would go into such details about it.
    Seems pretty irresponsible considering no ones been charged.
    Surely there would be legal ramifications for printing such things?

EDIT: I just found the article. On the front page of the Courier Mail no-less. The article says "...sources have told the courier mail..." Using sources is the worlds biggest cop-out. Name names!! It could all be rubbish
    -
    Last edited by Dummy Half; 16-09-08 at 01:52 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I don't know, Bird was cut from his team instantly.
    But wasnt bird arrested and charged? He had to pay bail didn't he?
    This ones different in that no one has even been charged yet.
    -
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Dummy Half View Post
    But wasnt bird arrested and charged? He had to pay bail didn't he?
    This ones different in that no one has even been charged yet.
    -
    Charged or not, he's still innocent until proven otherwise. Even with the woman involved refusing to press charges and supporting him, he's still on the sidelines.

Junior Titan

im sure the Broncos will come down pretty heavily on the players for even putting themselves in that position,whether or not they are charged over the sexual assault how dumb do you have to be to have two guys having sex with her while one films on his mobile,yes i realise that these are only allegations but for the 3 of them to even answer questions over the incident put the Broncos in a tough positionof what to do with those players this week,remember Costigan ,Lacey and a few others have been given there marching orders for alchohol related incidents

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I don't know, Bird was cut from his team instantly. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. I remember CS saying that he shouldn't be stood down and he was yelled down, yet in this case, oh no, it's all some huge mistake?

Forgetting whatever happened with this girl, they were kicked out of one pub earlier in the day, and out partying during the finals? There's issues besides. This from a senior player like Thaiday and the apparent future captain of the club?

There's a lot of rumours flying around, so it's impossible to judge what really happened. Maybe they forced or coerced her in, maybe she went with one and the others joined in, maybe she thought this would be a great way to make a quick buck.
    but I said it would be ridiculous if they were sacked IF there were no charges laid against them