Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rapana going on 2 year mission

Titans flyer leaves on a mission

NRL rookie Jordan Rapana is walking away from the final year of his contract with the Gold Coast Titans -but there is no touch of Sonny Bill Williams about this departure.

Rapana, 19, has filed his paperwork to do mission work abroad, preaching the values of the Mormon church.

Rather than learning the Titans' latest backline trick, Rapana will be approaching strangers in the street armed with a smile and a Bible.
    The flashy winger will put the final season of his Titans contract on hold for two years.

But if you ask the Gold Coast flyer, who was named in the Toyota Cup team of the year, if the move represents a gamble, the answer is: "Heck no.''
    Once he receives his paperwork in the post, Rapana could be headed anywhere, from Africa to Asia.

"I've always wanted to do my mission ever since I was a kid, really. It's taught in our church that everybody should serve a mission,'' Rapana said.
    "I know it's something that I'll regret if I don't do it.

"I'm just really keen and excited to get out there.

"I could go overseas or get sent in Australia. I'm not sure.
    "I could end up in Africa or anywhere.

"You go by yourself, but when you're out there you get paired up, sometimes put in fours, so you're always with somebody.

"I'll be preaching at people in the street about our religion and also doing a lot of service.

"And also going to church and learning more about God.
    "I know if I do this the Lord God is going to bless me for doing so.''

Rapana's mission represents the same kind of journey Melbourne Storm sensation Israel Folau was considering before opting to remain in the NRL.

Other players who share the same religious beliefs include Sharks forward Fraser Anderson, Roosters fullback Sam Perrett and Broncos prop Ben Hannant.

Anderson embarked on a two-year sabbatical from rugby league before returning with devastating effect for the Broncos and now Cronulla.

But one of Rapana's older brothers, Joel, 22, who featured in the same Australian Schoolboys side as Greg Inglis in 2004, hasn't found the transition quite so smooth.

He left the Titans to go on a mission to remote communities in Western Australia in 2006 before returning this year. He is now playing for Tweed Heads in the Queensland Cup.

Leading player agent Sam Ayoub had a clause inserted in Rapana's contract allowing him to follow the lead of his brothers.

Initially disappointed, Titans chief executive Michael Searle was sympathetic to Rapana's request.

"We fully respect Jordan's decision to pursue his mission and wholeheartedly support his religious convictions,'' Searle said.

Rapana, who scored a double on debut against the Roosters in round 18, has scored five tries in five appearances.

The Rapana family's religious path has been fostered by father Eli Rapana, who serves as the local bishop for the Tweed Heads branch of the Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Church.

Source: http://www.news.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

well i for one is happy for Jordan for him to pursue his mission although dissapointent that we wont see him again for a while after 2day.

i wish him all the best and hope that upon his return... he will be carving up the oppisition like wild fire...

good luck buddy, am proud to call u a TITAN
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Well what can you say, sad from a Titans point of view but its his life and he is right to follow his heart.

He has such amazing ability to go all the way in rugby league, hopefully he keeps training and comes back to us to take the world on!

Rapana has so much of what our team was missing.

Well the forum user Totally's mail was spot on....unfortunately from a footy prospective.

Good luck Jordan! Have the time of your life! But keep fit and take a footy with you!
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 07-09-08 at 01:57 AM.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I'm not happy. If this is something that he wanted to do then good luck to him, but I'm not convinced that a 19yr would pass on a dream NRL contract under his own will.
    Can't see the church sending him overseas either with the profile he has here in Oz. Searle should send him off with a f'load of Titans footballs to pass around the world while he's at it
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

so it's official...GUTTED

Pretty disappointed because a) He is a great player who we all scream for and support madly already and 2 years away from the game is a risk so we may never see his potential we've all been anticipating and b) This wouldn't have been a split second decision so he should have told Carty as soon as he was picked for first grade this season(if he didn't) so we could have been blooding players who will now be in first grade next season

I respect Jordans decision and am happy he stands by his convictions unlike a few of his fellow peers. Hopefully he will come back and be better than ever

If he comes knocking on my door, I hope he's ready to sign my jersey.

Football isn't life, so good on him I guess, hopefully he can make a comeback in a couple years.

Enjoy your travels Rapana...it will be a hard road back into League but your certainly welcome in a Titans jersey.

For you guys that don't like his decision...it's not yours to make.
    There no right or wrong here...and even though I'm not religious myself...many a sporting hero have made it with the help of their faith.

will be a big loss, but i think next year we can cover him

I respect his decision & hope he can grab a bit of Silverware in the 20's this year as i don't think we'll see him making any comebacks to the top grade after a 2 year break as his brother Joelin went on the same mission when he was rated the best young player in the game ahead of Inglis & Mullen & he hasn't been mentioned in 08'

So good luck Jordo
    #itaintweaktospeak

Junior Titan

Bad news for you guys. He is a real Superstar!

Its also good though that he is following his religious beliefs.

Titans fear they've lost Rapana

THE Titans have been putting on a brave face but they are secretly devastated to lose exciting young winger Jordan Rapana.

The flashy teenage flyer - who managed five first grade games this year - will put the final season of his Titans contract on hold for two years in order to complete his Mormon religious mission, a story. The Bulletin first floated back in March.

He was going to move into the club's top 25 next year and would have almost certainly nailed down one of the starting wing spots after a full pre-season in the gym.

The optimistic youngster, who captured the imagination of Gold Coast fans with his sensational try-scoring leaps, is confident he will be able to pick up where he has left off when he returns in 2011.

But many club insiders are unconvinced.

Rapana's older brother and former Australian Schoolboys star Joelin walked away from a Bulldogs contract when he shelved his footy boots to complete his mission at the end of 2004.

He returned last year and linked with the Titans, but has been unable to crack the top side and has now been told his services are no longer required next year.

But Titans skipper Scott Prince is one player trying to remain positive.

"Hopefully in two years time he is bigger and even taller and he comes back and we put him on the wing again," said Prince.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

I'm with Princey, I have faith he'll be back bigger and better.

Titans First Grader

Well i hope he doesnt get sent to england, we dont like religious people preaching to us. A huge mistake if you ask me, but he's in a no-lose situation, he'll either come back and get straight back in the team or he'll be told he's not wanted and say it was god's will for him not to play again. You have alot of mormon players, i guess their preaching is working in aussieland.

Quote Originally Posted by ~lee~ View Post
    Well i hope he doesnt get sent to england, we dont like religious people preaching to us. A huge mistake if you ask me, but he's in a no-lose situation, he'll either come back and get straight back in the team or he'll be told he's not wanted and say it was god's will for him not to play again. You have alot of mormon players, i guess their preaching is working in aussieland.
    When the Jehovahs Witness people used to come around knocking we would all go quiet and pretend no-one was in,you just couldnt get away from em.

Quote Originally Posted by quins rl View Post
    When the Jehovahs Witness people used to come around knocking we would all go quiet and pretend no-one was in,you just couldnt get away from em.
    you can....... you just call up the local kingdom hall and ask for them not to come to your house when they're witnessing.......

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!