Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I really,really hope Preston can make a "chris walker like" visit to us at the fence before the tigers game so we can all tell him how amazing he's been this season
    Definitely.

Although knowing Presto he'll then be at the fence all game signing autographs until someone pulls him away!

Preston has and always will be a great ambassador for the game. I think he is clearly under-rated by everyone in the league.

They reckon Willie Mason and SBW are tough.... ***blah *** blah *** blah ***

Default Tiny fella `among toughest of all time'

Luke Turgeon

August 25th, 2008

LEGENDARY rugby league hardman John Sattler believes Titans hero Preston Campbell deserves to be hailed as one of the toughest players of all time.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs immortal yesterday described Campbell's courage to play with a broken jaw against the Broncos on Friday night as the ultimate act of bravery well beyond the call of duty.

"Some of the sooks these days, as soon as they get a scratched knee they want to go off," said Sattler.

"And then you have a little fella like him who has a broken jaw but keeps bringing it back from the fullback and getting slammed.

"Every time he's tackled it is more or less a real bashing isn't it, because he is so tiny.

"I got the shock of my life when I found out he played with a broken jaw because he played the bloody house down. He is incredibly brave.

"I just can't stop applauding him. It is a marvellous effort."

The pint-sized Titans fullback's effort to play 43 minutes with a fractured jaw has been compared to Sattler's legendary performance in the 1970 grand final to defeat Manly. He played 70 minutes with his jaw broken in three places.

The man himself said Campbell deserved to be put on a level pegging.

"Anybody that can do that is terrific, and that is not giving myself a wrap," said Sattler.

"But for a little fella like him to do it is just great stuff. It is a bloody big effort.

"He didn't stop either, he just kept going 100 miles and hour the whole way through. He never takes a backwards step and is always brave."

Sattler said that Campbell would have been going through immense pain during the game, but would have had to block out any thoughts of self preservation to continue playing the way he did.

"It should just really pull this side together now.

"Having a man being as little as he is and as brave should just be another big giant step forward for the club."
    http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

Titans First Grader goldcoastitans's Avatar

^
    ^
    ^
    thats a friggen great article ....he played his best game of the season with that broken jaw IMO and im pretty sure everyone that was at the game can agree with me that everytime he got the ball we were jumping out of our seats!!
    GREAT WORK FROM THE SMALL MAN!
    BECOME ONE OF US - BECOME A LEGIONNAIRE!

Thats a great article from probably the hardest player ever to pull on a league jersey & to put the pocket rocket Presto in that tough man catagory is Brilliant , well done Satts & Presto
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titans offer brave Preston job for life

Luke Turgeon

August 25th, 2008

AN emotional Titans boss Michael Searle has extended an invitation for courageous veteran Preston Campbell to continue playing for the Gold Coast as long as he wants following his incredible injury-defying feat against the Broncos.

In the toughest performance of the past 40 years, Campbell played the entire second half of Friday night's heart-breaking golden-point loss with a broken jaw as he bravely battled to save the Titans' season.
    Have your say on the feedback form below

As the gutsy fullback prepared to undergo surgery today to repair the damage, Titans managing director Searle declared the 31-year-old -- who is off-contract next season -- need never worry about his playing future again.

"He has got another year but if he wants to play until he is 35, or as long as he wants, he can," said Searle.

"He can just tell me when he wants to stop as far as I am concerned.

"He has earned that right given not only for his services for our club but the game of rugby league.

"But by the same token, if he turned around and said he wanted to retire tomorrow, we would find a role for him within the club.

"There will always be a role for Preston Campbell in our club."

Searle spent the weekend watching replays of the 25-21 defeat, which effectively ended the slim hopes the Titans had of making the finals.

But instead of despairing over the disappearance of their finals dream, Searle marvelled at the spirit shown by Campbell, who despite a broken jaw was the best player on the park for the Gold Coast.

"Preston had about 15 carries with a broken jaw and they weren't small carries, they were returning the ball at speed," said Searle.

"To me it was an incredible feat.

"It indicates how incredible a person Preston Campbell is and how devoted he is to the club and to his teammates.

"It is a very humbling thing not only for the other players but also the club and the fans, to think that a guy has that much character that they are prepared to put the club and the team before themselves."

Realising he had badly damaged his jaw, Campbell consulted team medical staff at half-time but kept his injury secret from most of the playing group and coach John Cartwright.

Renowned as one of the game's toughest players during 11 years with Penrith, Cartwright was blown away when told of the news after the match.

"I was talking to Presto after the game and he was talking to me through clenched teeth and I just thought he had split his lip," said Cartwright.

"I always check with the doctor as the last thing I do before I leave and I asked him 'have we got any injuries' and he said 'yeah, Presto broke his jaw'.

"I said 'at what stage of the game did he do that?' and he said 'well, he did it in the first half'.

"At that moment I was in shock.

"Anyone who has had a broken bone will know the pain that you feel.

"Then to be playing a game of football with it, especially a facial fracture, is incredible."

And Cartwright backed Searle's stance that Campbell had a future with the club for as long as he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    Titans offer brave Preston job for life

Luke Turgeon

August 25th, 2008

AN emotional Titans boss Michael Searle has extended an invitation for courageous veteran Preston Campbell to continue playing for the Gold Coast as long as he wants following his incredible injury-defying feat against the Broncos.

In the toughest performance of the past 40 years, Campbell played the entire second half of Friday night's heart-breaking golden-point loss with a broken jaw as he bravely battled to save the Titans' season.
    Have your say on the feedback form below

As the gutsy fullback prepared to undergo surgery today to repair the damage, Titans managing director Searle declared the 31-year-old -- who is off-contract next season -- need never worry about his playing future again.

"He has got another year but if he wants to play until he is 35, or as long as he wants, he can," said Searle.

"He can just tell me when he wants to stop as far as I am concerned.

"He has earned that right given not only for his services for our club but the game of rugby league.

"But by the same token, if he turned around and said he wanted to retire tomorrow, we would find a role for him within the club.

"There will always be a role for Preston Campbell in our club."

Searle spent the weekend watching replays of the 25-21 defeat, which effectively ended the slim hopes the Titans had of making the finals.

But instead of despairing over the disappearance of their finals dream, Searle marvelled at the spirit shown by Campbell, who despite a broken jaw was the best player on the park for the Gold Coast.

"Preston had about 15 carries with a broken jaw and they weren't small carries, they were returning the ball at speed," said Searle.

"To me it was an incredible feat.

"It indicates how incredible a person Preston Campbell is and how devoted he is to the club and to his teammates.

"It is a very humbling thing not only for the other players but also the club and the fans, to think that a guy has that much character that they are prepared to put the club and the team before themselves."

Realising he had badly damaged his jaw, Campbell consulted team medical staff at half-time but kept his injury secret from most of the playing group and coach John Cartwright.

Renowned as one of the game's toughest players during 11 years with Penrith, Cartwright was blown away when told of the news after the match.

"I was talking to Presto after the game and he was talking to me through clenched teeth and I just thought he had split his lip," said Cartwright.

"I always check with the doctor as the last thing I do before I leave and I asked him 'have we got any injuries' and he said 'yeah, Presto broke his jaw'.

"I said 'at what stage of the game did he do that?' and he said 'well, he did it in the first half'.

"At that moment I was in shock.

"Anyone who has had a broken bone will know the pain that you feel.

"Then to be playing a game of football with it, especially a facial fracture, is incredible."

And Cartwright backed Searle's stance that Campbell had a future with the club for as long as he wanted.
    And if he ever needs a kidney...

Pretty sure that "job offer for life" is an old story.I have read it earlier this season and I know I read a column months ago where Carty said he had told preston he would have a contract as long as he wanted as a player because his presence is that huge in the team & that he was the nicest guy in football to be around.

I'm glad he's finally getting some real recognition on a broader scale now

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    & that he was the nicest guy in football to be around.
    He always gives us a wave and a thumbs up, and i think he likes his banner, he picked us out at Suncorp.

Preston is an absolute rugby league legend in all respects. On and off the field. A brilliant footy player and human being.

It's a huge honour, a much deserved one, to see Michael Searle say such things about him.

I hope he plays as long as he wants as well and after that works for the club.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I don't think it's a secret how much I admire Preston Campbell, as a footballer and more importantly as a human being. He is one of the greatest role models for everyone, with the combination of having the rarest of top level football talent combined with the character of a true gentleman and the courage of a real hero.

As the original Gold Coast signing he represents everything that is good about the game and future club members would do well to try and live up to his example. As would all of us in our daily endeavours.

He is a true icon of Rugby League and will long be remembered as one of the best and fairest to ever lace a boot and grace a Rugby League field.

Stay long and proud with the Titans Presto! We all love ya!