Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

We don't want Sonny back: Dogs

September 24, 2008

BULLDOGS chief executive Todd Greenberg has shut the door on a return to the NRL club by runaway forward Sonny Bill Williams.

Williams is reportedly homesick at French rugby union outfit Toulon and upset at his treatment by millionaire club president Mourad Boudjellal.

"We've heard those rumours as well and it's not surprising at all for us that he's homesick," Greenberg told Sydney radio station 2KY.

"Sometimes he got homesick when he was living back here in Sydney."

Greenberg said speculation the Bulldogs could be interested in bringing Williams back to the club was wide of the mark.

"If you're asking me if we want him back, the answer's no," he said.
    "We've had no contact from Sonny Bill or his manager.

"We've moved on and our suggestion is he do exactly the same.

"In my view this chapter's over, it's complete. Sonny made his choices some months ago, the reality of that is now he has to live with those choices."

Williams has been nursing a leg injury and his time on the sidelines has reportedly angered Boudjellal.

"I think there's some reality checks in that, it's welcome to the real world," Greenberg said.

"People expect a return on their investment and millionaires don't become millionaires by making stupid decisions. Millionaires like this guy in France don't give away money without expecting a return on the outlay.

"Some are more bullish than others and I'm sure this gentleman, by the sound of things, sounds a little bullish but my advice to Sonny would be put your head down and do your best. I'm sure he'll be a great rugby union player."

The former Kiwi international second-rower paid $750,000 compensation to the Bulldogs after walking out midway through the first year of a five-year deal in July, but the NRL has black-banned him.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

Sonny Bill hasn't fit the bill in rugby

By David Murray in London The Daily Telegraph
    December 01, 2008 10:17am

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-29277,00.html

THE president of French rugby club Toulon has indicated he regrets signing Sonny Bill Williams.

Millionaire tycoon Mourad Boudjellal says his struggling side's biggest problem is that it recruited the wrong players this season.

He did not name Williams, but his comments will be taken as a swipe at the injured former Bulldog.

After another defeat on the weekend, Mr Boudjellal said he had taken his eye off the ball when Williams and other players were signed to the club.

"The decisions I regret concern primarily the recruitment," he said.

"I should have gone into battle more in summer. I let some good players go by, I was less of a presence.

"With the budget we had, we have not made a team that is competitive enough."

Williams has been on the bench for three months after breaking his leg at the start of the season.

Other new signings this year include Australians Matt Henjak, formerly of the Western Force, and Luke Rooney, from the Penrith Panthers.

New Zealander Jerry Collins and South African Joe van Niekerk were also among the international stars recruited to the French team.

Toulon lost 6-13 at home to Dax on the weekend, leaving them at 11th on the table and in danger of dropping out of the Top 14.

A fed-up Mr Boudjellal said he felt like letting the club fall out of the top French league.

"At the moment, if I listened to my instinct, I'd go off on holiday for three months and let the club drop," he said.

"So I'd rather not listen to my instinct and battle with everyone else. I wouldn't take decisions at times like this."

In a further insult to out-of-favour coach Tana Umaga, Mr Boudjellal has also been in talks with another possible successor.

What sonny bill misses games through injury... and he's surprised.

I recon Bart Simpson does his homework better then these toulon tossers.

Hope you enjoy him

It's great to see the Kiwi league boys enjoy so much success, while SBW had to look on from his room in France.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

yea.....for hime to know that he could have been there...must be KILLING him..........

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    yea.....for hime to know that he could have been there...must be KILLING him..........
    Yeah but IMO i think they played alot better with out him.......

Did i read that right "they are in danger of dropping out of the Top 14" , now thats something to aspire to
    #itaintweaktospeak

I think it is great to see Sonny failing at French Rugby because it may turn the French away from poaching from the NRL.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Spot on Tamwelg... the more Sonny fails the more they'll leave us alone, they may have some dollars behind them but all the same they don't want to just throw millions of dollars down the drain, no business can do that.

I think I heard Mat Gittou (spelling?) from the wallaby's was going targeted now with a massive offer to go over. Hopefully they go back to raiding other union clubs.

Getting back to the Kiwi's world cup win I wonder if loosing a few big names like sonny and asotasi actually helps sometimes cause the other 17 players all know how much they have to lift... there's no "just pass it to sonny" mind set you know, and if everyone else lifts 10% if may take the overall enthusism level over where it would of been with them in?

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Getting back to the Kiwi's world cup win I wonder if loosing a few big names like sonny and asotasi actually helps sometimes cause the other 17 players all know how much they have to lift... there's no "just pass it to sonny" mind set you know, and if everyone else lifts 10% if may take the overall enthusism level over where it would of been with them in?
    I totally agree, everyone had to man up instead of being passengers. A champion team. But now with Asotasi and Pritchard etc coming back, it'll make the Kiwis stronger.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Sonny Bill Williams set to leave France if Toulon coach Tana Umaga is sacked

From David Murray in London, England

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html
    January 22, 2009

SONNY Bill Williams is a step closer to leaving France with his tail between his legs, as the man who recruited the former Bulldogs player, Toulon coach Tana Umaga, is facing the axe.

If Umaga goes and Toulon drop a division, as expected, Williams seems unlikely to serve out a second season with the club.

When Williams was asked why he had moved to French rugby, he replied: "Two words: Tana Umaga. Simple as that. Everything added up. I can learn a lot from him."

But Toulon are set to announce that former France back Philippe Saint-Andre will replace Umaga, sports newspaper L'Equipe reports.

Saint-Andre has had several meetings with Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal, and he has already confirmed he is leaving his job as coach of English club Sale.

The change of coaches is reportedly scheduled to be announced at a press conference next Monday.

The notoriously fiery Boudjellal is also due to use the occasion to reveal a list of players he no longer wants in his team.

Boudjellal is said to have had enough of his large international contingent and wants to bring a predominantly French flavour back to the side.

Junior Titan

couldnt happen to a nicer bloke,as a long standing dogs fan and a fan of Rugby league in general,im glad this is biting him on the ass.
    money doesnt bring you happiness or respect.
    i hope he is home sick over there,and we all know he hasnt played any footy,he cant speak french and now the reason he gave as the reason he went has been sacked.Karma

KARMA!!!!.....lol

its a real shame, yet so sweet.....

you never want to see this happen to anyone, but as an NRL fan, its just so heart-warming........

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

In this case where would he go? Another French or UK union club? Or go to NZ?