Default Morley and Noble tip Australia triumph

from SMH.com.au

Great Britain hard man Adrian Morley has tipped Australia to continue its proud international record and win this weekend's Tri Nations rugby league final against New Zealand at Elland Road.

The forward who holds the unique distinction of featuring in premiership victories on opposite sides of the world says the Kangaroos awesome defence will come up trumps against the cavalier Kiwis.

"When the Kiwis throw the ball about they can be very dangerous," warned Morley, who won an NRL title with the Sydney Roosters in 2002 and claimed this year's English Super League crown with Bradford.

"Maybe the Kiwis will throw caution to the wind, I don't know.

"They'll still take Australia on up the middle because they're very physical.

"(But) Australia has an awesome defence and they know how to control the football very well."

Great Britain coach Brian Noble agrees with Morley and believes Australia will prevail in the final.

The Kangaroos were in a similar pressure situation to perform in last year's final and came out and blasted the Lions 44-4 with Darren Lockyer producing one of his best representative games.

Lockyer is unavailable because of a broken foot but Noble still thinks Australia will hold the trophy aloft again.

"I would have to say Australia," said Noble.

"They're well coached, their defence has been magnificent and they play the big games better than anyone.

"But New Zealand are definitely not out of it."

The underdog Kiwis have history heavily stacked against them for the final.

But after already defying history by beating the Kangaroos last month, New Zealand won't be overly concerned about the past.

The Kiwis kick-started their Tri Nations campaign by defeating Australia 38-28 for the first time in 46 years in Sydney last month.

It has been 52 years since New Zealand has beaten Australia twice in the same year.

Australia has also beaten New Zealand the past five times the countries have clashed in England - a record dating back to the Kangaroos' 21-15 World Cup triumph at Headingley in 1960.

The closest the Kiwis have come to beating the Kangaroos was during the 1995 World Cup where New Zealand lost 30-20 at Huddersfield after sending the match into extra time.

Kiwi ace Stacey Jones is expected to arrive back from New Zealand on Friday after attending the birth of his third child and have one run with the team before pulling on the black and white jersey Saturday night (Sunday AM AEDT).

I would have to say Aus is favourite - though I think the Kiwi's have more chance than GB did last year.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Noble would want Australia to retain their title - if not, Great Britain is definately back to number 3 in the pecking order

We are favourites and deserve to be.

This will be a tough game though - many are expecting snow which I know the majority of the Australian team has not played in if not all of the 17.

DeeGan