Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sorry to sound like an echo here lads,im a Pom so i guess my opinion means squat to most of you,but Brent Kite??? What has he got on Ricky Stuart?? He wouldnt get in the GB/England side,seriously!! .Being biased as a Titans fan i was sure Scotty would get in ahead of Thurston,who admittedly has raised his game,but Princey has been the best so far this season,he must be asking himself what he has to do??
    Would you guys agree this is one of the weakest looking Aussie packs for a long time??

Quote Originally Posted by quins rl View Post
    Would you guys agree this is one of the weakest looking Aussie packs for a long time??
    Not really!
    Besides Kite who you have already mentioned, Petro has always been there, Gallon and Bird are smashing there opponents, Hoffman is running great lines and they've picked a bench that will make a big impack.

Hard to compare our forwards to our backline though...potentially one of the best back lines ever.

Webb got picked as Ricky said he wanted aggression, and Carl brings that in spades.

TBH, besides Kite, who I still don't rate highly enough for a starting spot, the rest of the team is either given reason for being in there, or deserves to be in there.

I have no problem with Gallen, a lot of you I think are filthy about what he did a few weeks ago, but if you don't look at that and look back at the past year he's been a consistent performer in the second row and IMO deserves the spot... Hoffman is lucky to be there, and I think is there for his combination than anything else.

I agree Scotty is extremely unlucky to miss out, but as CS said, it was obvious if Locky got through his game on Friday he'd be there, and Thurston was always going to be 7... sadly Scott will just have to keep plugging away, sooner or later he'll get there.

The side should do the job against the Kiwis, too much strike power in that backline... will be awesome to watch them all again..

Well for all Titans fans... here's some saving grace and great news... Anthony Laffranchi has been named 18th Man...

Laffranchi ready for Test challenge
    April 29, 2008

COUNTRY workhorse Anthony Laffranchi said he was happy to play 320 minutes of football in just seven days after learning he will be named as Australia's 18th man.

The Gold Coast backrower admitted he was disappointed with his non-selection in the Centenary Test team but now is just one injury away from playing against New Zealand on May 9.

The prospect of playing three games in a week holds no fears for the NRL ironman who has made 89 hit-ups in just seven games for the Gold Coast.

"I'd play five games in five days if it meant getting the opportunity to play for Australia," Laffranchi said.

"Obviously I was disappointed on Sunday night but the selectors have their own opinions. They went the other way and it has just made me hungrier."

The 17 named in the Kangaroos side on Sunday night still have to make it through club matches this weekend.

"I really would love to see how Ricky gets an Australian team prepared (and) I would love to be a part of it," Laffranchi said.

"But right now I am focused on doing my job for Country this weekend."

Laffranchi said he will have no problem moving up to the front row on Friday night for the WIN Stadium clash.

"I am in tight for the Titans and it is a yardage game," Laffranchi said. "I still have the second-phase game and I think that is what Laurie Daley is looking at. I am excited about the challenge ahead and I want to get my hands on that Blues jumper."
    Congrats to Anthony on a well deserved call up and if he gets his chance, I am sure he will do the blue and maroon proud...

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium_BD1103 View Post
    I have no problem with Gallen, a lot of you I think are filthy about what he did a few weeks ago, but if you don't look at that and look back at the past year he's been a consistent performer in the second row and IMO deserves the spot.
    Bias aside, I agree. Also there are so many excellent back rowers running around in the comp now you could pull a fair argument for a lot of blokes being unlucky to miss out. Can't pick 'em all.

Quote Originally Posted by quins rl
    Brent Kite??? What has he got on Ricky Stuart??
    The coach doesn't pick the team. He gives some input on what sort of team he'd like given how he's looking at playing the game, this time he wants aggression, but that just further rules out Kite I'd think. I'd point the finger at the silver tail on the panel when questioning Kite's call up.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    They need to start picking the Aussie team on for. The best players in the best and toughest football competition in the world. The Kangaroos would have it over the cricket and union if it was picked on form!
    The Kangaroos have hardly struggled in the past decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    The Kangaroos have hardly struggled in the past decade.
    I'm not talking about performance wise. I'm talking about promotion. I believe it would be a huge attraction to have a representative team picked truly off form. Something other sports don't really have.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I'm not talking about performance wise. I'm talking about promotion. I believe it would be a huge attraction to have a representative team picked truly off form. Something other sports don't really have.

But then it wouldn't be fair on players who had a good rep game about 3 years ago & who should own the shirt until they retire or get hurt

I detest all this incumbant(sp?) stuff. The players who are playing the house down this season should get picked or whats the point? I'll use Prince as an example again. What is the motivation for him to play the house down week in/week out,player of the season so far,top of the dally m list etc when he knows nothing short of an injury or suspension will get him in the team

Obviously he wants to do well for the titans & thats why he'll keep being the best player in the NRL (in my opinion) but there is no incentive for players to put in that extra few percent to earn a rep jersey

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Who says the majority of that squad isn't picked on form? All depends on what time frame they're picking on.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    But then it wouldn't be fair on players who had a good rep game about 3 years ago & who should own the shirt until they retire or get hurt

I detest all this incumbant(sp?) stuff. The players who are playing the house down this season should get picked or whats the point? I'll use Prince as an example again. What is the motivation for him to play the house down week in/week out,player of the season so far,top of the dally m list etc when he knows nothing short of an injury or suspension will get him in the team

Obviously he wants to do well for the titans but there is no incentive for players to put in that extra few percent to earn a rep jersey
    You answered your own question mate. The incentive is their team winning more often than not. The last thing you want is bloke who peaks around rep time and is average when theres no extras to play for. Believe me, Sharkies have had one at 7 for donkey's.

The incentive is their team winning more often than not. T.
    Then why isn't there a Titan anywhere in the 17?

I'm not saying they do it merely to get the rep jersey,I'm saying players who consistantly have 9/10 or 10/10 performances every single week yet still get overlooked

I wouldn't have a problem with Gallen in the team except he hasn't played since the titans game and like it's been said there are many players who could fit in easily to the back row and have been playing as well as Gallen all season

The city team is the worst one though,How Luke Lewis got picked in the second row I will never know, has he even played at all this year? and he's a centre/winger

A team should be picked on form

If anyone should have been there it should have been Thaiday.

If he is not a better player then Webb, ill eat my keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post

you could put 15 players in front of that lump who deserve to be there more

I'm never too disappointed if the current season's form players miss out on the ANZAC test to incumbents. Yes they're the form players of the season, but the season only 7 weeks old. Slater played himself into the team over Stewart (who certainly didn't play himself out of the team) but I think he got some help from Stewart being somewhat a 'replacement' for a 1 off game last season full of other 'replacements'. Thurston on the other hand has owned that jersey, owned the 2007 comp in a lot of people's eyes as well as forged a winning State and Country halves combination with Lockyer who was always gonna be picked if he could run.

I totally understand your feelings about Gallen. He played 4 and sat 3 out on the back of raw idiocy WHILE parading as the skipper of his team. Did have a big one last Sunday an hour before the selectors met, which might have played in his favour along with them looking for aggression. I'm a Sharks fan but I don't have blinkers on. It'd be fair to say his aggression and connection to the coach got him over the line in what would have been a very tough decision I'm glad I didn't have to make. I would have raised an eyebrow if Bird didn't make it though. Love him or hate him he's gotta be the best choice 13 or even bench for his versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    If anyone should have been there it should have been Thaiday.

Maybe Stuart wants to start an old fashion blew...that's the only reason you'd pick Webb over Thaiday.

Webb certainly is the surprise inclusion...I'd pick him for an Origin side but give the Australian jersey to somebody thats earnt it.

I totally understand your feelings about Gallen. He played 4 and sat 3 out on the back of raw idiocy WHILE parading as the skipper of his team. Did have a big one last Sunday an hour before the selectors met, which might have played in his favour along with them looking for aggression. I'm a Sharks fan but I don't have blinkers on. It'd be fair to say his aggression and connection to the coach got him over the line in what would have been a very tough decision I'm glad I didn't have to make. I would have raised an eyebrow if Bird didn't make it though. Love him or hate him he's gotta be the best choice 13 or even bench for his versatility.
    I know I'm probably coming across as being completely one eyed for the titans players but watching the guys I've mentioned week in/week out I can really see how deserving they are.

I don't even mind that Gallen was suspended for a silly thing & wouldn't mind if he'd been there playing all season,It's just the fact he's been out for so long while other equally as good back rowers have been producing the goods for 7 weeks. I'm glad Bird made it though,He's been head and shoulders above any other Cronulla player and fully deserves his place.

At the end of the day the aussies will smash them into embarassment again and people will use that as a justification of the selection but it could be more exciting and much better watching blokes who are right on top of their game at the moment.
    Last edited by Paul; 29-04-08 at 10:19 PM.