Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

pretty good side

not quite as good as country but good to see some Titans players getting noticed

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy2007Dragons View Post
    Whilst u may think this game is crap, go ask laffranchi, minichello and delaney if they think this game is crap. I doubt they will agree with ya.

city country origin is more than a trial run for nsw's origin sides, its match played to acknowledge the impact both country and city football have had on the competition. Its an important game because it allows some of the best players to play in the country and allow the game to spread to the spectators that can't afford or find time to spectate, a oppurtunity they don't often get and one they do enjoy.
    I'm all for more rep football to give players a go and spreading games out to the country regions - don't get me wrong, but if any players (especially Titans players) get injured during the NRL season playing a minor game on the rugby league calender... that just pisses me off. It's the small things that count in rubgy league, Preston last year was injured during the City v Country match and had to spend some weeks on the side line, he played poor football for a considerable amount of weeks after the incident - his form could have been the difference between us missing the eight and making the eight.

If players can't prove they are origin material during the early rounds of the NRL season, they shouldn't make it at all. Simple as that.

Move the game to post/pre season, heck make it a three game series - just not during the NRL season.

I knew Mini would have got the call up again and Delaney is having a great season and deserves the reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Well said as a lot of these players will only ever get this shot to get a Rep Jersey so don't dis this game even if you Bleed Qld this is more Rugby League & the more we get to see the better for the FANS
    I agree. It's a NSW thing and if they want it fine.

But I just hate it when they complain on the jammed draw and try and cut down on Test Matches. I'll pick another Test over City vs Country any day.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Pity Preston has missed out this year. That said, it's only the last few games he's really starting to hit his best again. Probably more to do with what looks like a full forward bench this year.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

I'm all for more rep football to give players a go and spreading games out to the country regions - don't get me wrong, but if any players (especially Titans players) get injured during the NRL season playing a minor game on the rugby league calender... that just pisses me off. It's the small things that count in rubgy league, Preston last year was injured during the City v Country match and had to spend some weeks on the side line, he played poor football for a considerable amount of weeks after the incident - his form could have been the difference between us missing the eight and making the eight.

If players can't prove they are origin material during the early rounds of the NRL season, they shouldn't make it at all. Simple as that.

Move the game to post/pre season, heck make it a three game series - just not during the NRL season
    Why don't we just wrap up the titans players in cotton wool, u ask preston if he regrets playing that game, even though he got injured and missed a few weeks, i doubt he would say yes.

If players didn't really want to play it or were worried about being injured they can just say i don't want to play.

Besides, the depth the titans have this year, im sure u can miss one or two players with injury, given will have rogers and bull back shortly as well.

So what if say prince and bailey got injured during the test during the season, the fact that its a higher up game makes it ok, even if they were gone for the whole season.

The city/country game supports and spreads the game, its not like its played at an insane intesity or the players are pumped and want to destroy you like say the kiwis want to.

For a club that needs the assistance of the Rugby League community to help fight attempts by the AFL and even Soccer to muscle in on the population of the coast, your very relucant to return the favour in spreading the game to rural australia, sounds like a few selfish supporters that are looking out for thier clubs interests and the hunt for a priemership over the whole competition in general, not to mention the players of their team that are going to use this test to stake a claim in the nsw origin team. Players like laffranchi, he plays well in this third tier test, he may very well play for nsw(very likely in my opionion) and you would deny him this oppurtunity because he may get injured, just like he may get injured every other week that he pulls on a jersey.

I preferred when this had real country players, blokes from the bush getting a chance to play against the big guns. Admittedly it's not terribly fair, but they always had a good go, and if I remember correctly the odd one even made origin too.

Even so, I still like to see the game. I don't think it's even about origin selection so much, but really, what other rep game is going to ever be played in a regional area?

The injuries, well, they're unfortunate. But they can happen in this, in origin, test matches, trials, training, walking down the street, going for a swim. You can't shield them from it all.

Country's star-studded backline slashed

NSW Country have been dealt a triple blow with star backs Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon and Matt Cooper all ruled out of Friday night's clash with City.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=453667

Revised squad: Brett Kearney, Amos Roberts, Joel Monaghan, Ben Harris, Anthony Quinn, Todd Carney, Brett Finch, Brett White, Danny Buderus (capt), Anthony Laffranchi, Nathan Hindmarsh, Andrew Ryan, Craig Fitzgibbon, Interchange: Ben Hornby, Ben Cross, Chris Heighington, Glenn Stewart.
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen; 28-04-08 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to Paste last piece in

Jason King ruled out of City

The Manly front-rower was scratched at Monday morning's medical with an ankle injury suffered in Saturday's win over the Bulldogs.
    Revised squad: Brett Hodgson, Jarryd Hayne, Ben Pomeroy, Brett Delaney, Luke Rooney, Braith Anasta, Mitchell Pearce, Corey Hughes, Mark O'Meley, Luke Lewis, Mark Minichiello, John Sutton, Chad Robinson Bryce Gibbs, Ray Cashmere, Feleti Mateo, Peter Wallace.
    http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=453675

Helen

Ah this again... I went through the explaination on why City vs Country is of value last year, so I am not going through it again...except to say that this year, it is really a selection trial for Origin spots, not a nuff game.

If you look at the NSW side, outside of Fullback, Hooker (perhaps), and the second row, none of the other spots are certain starters... every spot is up for grabs...

If I had to choose players in the side ATM, I'd only be able to place a few as certainties.

1. Brett Stewart
    2. Open
    3. Open
    4. Mark Gasnier
    5. Jarrad Hayne (not certainty)
    6. Open
    7. Open
    8. Open
    9. Danny Buderus (not certainty)
    10. Brent Kite
    11. Willie Mason
    12. Paul Gallen
    13. Greg Bird

14. Open
    15. Open
    16. Open
    17. Open

Nearly 3/4 of the side still has spots up for grabs, which is why for once in a long time, City vs Country will be more than just pride... I hope the players realise this, and we see a great game on Friday night in the Gong...

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium_BD1103 View Post
    If you look at the NSW side, outside of Fullback, Hooker (perhaps), and the second row, none of the other spots are certain starters... every spot is up for grabs...

If I had to choose players in the side ATM, I'd only be able to place a few as certainties.

1. Brett Stewart
    2. Open
    3. Open
    4. Mark Gasnier
    5. Jarrad Hayne (not certainty)
    6. Open
    7. Open
    8. Open
    9. Danny Buderus (not certainty)
    10. Brent Kite
    11. Willie Mason
    12. Paul Gallen
    13. Greg Bird

14. Open
    15. Open
    16. Open
    17. Open
    I'll agree with most of your certainties but maybe not in the same posistions as i think Quinn,Hoffman & Laffranchi are as sure things to make the 17 especially when you think who the coach is & who could possibly have a hope in hell of taking Buderus's spot unless Farah makes a unbeleivable comeback
    #itaintweaktospeak

How many people remember who played in past City vs country games?
    I heard this game was played in Wollongong...so much for taking the game to the country.

When was the last time a country player (not playing in the NRL) was chosen in either side.

Scrap it or choose players not playing NRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    When was the last time a country player (not playing in the NRL) was chosen in either side.

Scrap it or choose players not playing NRL.
    mate its not like the olden days when a team of wannabes could entertain the likes of pros ....these days pros are like athletes....highly tuned athletes that cannot be compared to the average country bloke who has a good run at it...............

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Here an interesting decision, I'm guessing it's to get the players ready for WC later this year.... it's international rules on this one...

City Country to use International Rules
    Thursday, 24th April 2008

The Australian Rugby League has today announced the Centenary Test and this year’s City v Country Origin will be played under international rules.

The decision means both matches will feature the 12-4 interchange format rather than the current National Rugby League system of 10-4.

Test matches are required to be played under international rules unless the two participating countries agree otherwise.

ARL Chief Executive Geoff Carr said player welfare played a major part in the ARL and New Zealand Rugby League’s decision.

“We were mindful of the fact many players selected for this match will be backing up to play the next day,” Carr said.

“Likewise the NSW Rugby League and Country Rugby League wanted to ensure the City Country Origin players were not overworked during this period.

“The international rules allow for two extra interchanges per match compared to the NRL system and this will benefit those players.

“In the case of the Centenary Test it is in the interest of both teams to play under international rules as the upcoming World Cup will be in that format.”

Carr said a decision had not yet been made on which set of rules this year’s Harvey Norman State of Origin series would be played under.

“Traditionally State of Origin is played under NRL rules,” Carr said.

“Origin differs in that it is a mid-week game, meaning the players have more time to recover compared to those playing who might have to back up and play the next day.”

The ARL Board is expected to make a decision on the State of Origin rules shortly.