Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Virus

Titan First Grade Regular Titans#1's Avatar

Default New Virus

A SCAM involving fake FBI or CIA emails had unleashed a computer virus that has spread rapidly worldwide, US officials and security experts said

The FBI released a statement on its website noting the agency was not the source of the emails. But experts said that the virus was propagating because the authors made the message appear authentic.

The FBI statement said recipients of this or similar messages "should know that the FBI does not engage in the practice of sending unsolicited emails to the public in this manner".

The messages appeared to be sent from an email address such as mailfbi.gov, postfbi.gov, adminfbi.gov or a similar address, and directed the recipient to open an attachment to answer a question. The opening of the file activated the virus and caused it to spread to others.

Internet security firm Sophos said similar emails appeared to come from the Central Intelligence Agency, but both contained a strain of the Sober virus that had been spreading worldwide. In a four-hour period yesterday, the worm "has accounted for over 61 per cent of all viruses reported to Sophos, making it currently the most prevalent virus spreading across the world", Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos said.

"This variant of the Sober worm may catch out the unwary as they open their email in box this morning.

"Every law abiding citizen wants to help the police with their enquiries, and some will panic that they might be being falsely accused of visiting illegal websites and want to click on the unsolicited e-mail attachment.

"All users should be reminded to follow safe computing guidelines, and PCs should be kept automatically updated with the latest anti-virus protection."

The email stated: "We have logged your IP-address on more than 30 illegal websites", and directed the recipient to open an attachment to respond to questions.

"The FBI takes this matter seriously and is investigating," the law enforcement agency said, urging those receiving emails of this nature to report it to the Internet Crime Complaint Center via http://www.ic3.gov .

California-based firm PandaLabs said the virus quickly became the most prevalent spreading around the globe.

One reason for its success was that "this new variant uses social engineering techniques, tricking users into running files that contain the system code", PandaLabs said.

The virus used another trick ? displaying a dialogue box saying that no viruses, Trojans or spyware were found, according to PandaLabs, even though the computer was left unprotected against future attacks.

Experts noted each infection caused a computer to send out new copies of the email to those in the computer's address book.

"The propagation capacity of Sober.AH, means that every time there is a new infection, the chances of receiving an infected email increase exponentially," Luis Corrons, director of PandaLabs, said.

PandaLabs and others noted that some of the emails were being delivered in German to addresses in Europe, purportedly coming from the BKA, the German federal police.

The SANS Institute's Internet Storm Centre, an academic industry partnership, urged Internet users to exercise caution because anti-virus programs might not detect the latest versions of malicious programs.

"Antivirus software does not provide any reliable protection against current threats," SANS said. "Viruses like Sober tend to change every few hours well in advance of AV signature updates. The fact that an attachment did not get marked is no indication that it is harmless."

Please post any new virus you may know or hear about in this thread! We don't want members to catch this and not be able to log on to our fantastic forums!

Titan CEO

i got a friggin limewire worm that f**** up my registry's on my computer....im getting it fixed today hopefully....seriously do these people that make viruses etc feel proud for doing this ****?

Quote Originally Posted by super cronk
    i got a friggin limewire worm that f**** up my registry's on my computer....im getting it fixed today hopefully....seriously do these people that make viruses etc feel proud for doing this ****?
    its a bunch of lonely nerds who hate the world; because the world hates them. They need to get a life :angry:

Did you really Super Cronk.. I use Limewire now.. I used to use Warez..but that stuffed my computer that I had to clean it.. so I use Limewire now.. may have to update the anti virus software again though it seems...

I agree these people are nerds who have no life and need to find something more constructive to do IMO...

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    Did you really Super Cronk.. I use Limewire now.. I used to use Warez..but that stuffed my computer that I had to clean it.. so I use Limewire now.. may have to update the anti virus software again though it seems...

I agree these people are nerds who have no life and need to find something more constructive to do IMO...
    yeah my brother downloaded something and bam ....your best of ditching limwire man...slows your computer down and your at a big risk of getting a virus. i had uptodate virus stuff yet this worm still got through...no more p2p for me :mine:

THese are the Latest Threats

11-22-05
    W32.Mytob.MC@mm

11-22-05
    Trojan.Danmec

11-21-05
    W32.Mogi

11-21-05
    SymbOS.Pbstealer.A

11-21-05
    Trojan.Goldun.H

11-21-05
    Bloodhound.Exploit.53

Yea I steer clear of P2P as well - not worth the risk.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    Yea I steer clear of P2P as well - not worth the risk.
    yeah ive had trouble with it in the past. But others in my family use it all the time. But now its gone....forever!

I just recieved this email from my internet provider (I think! LOL)

Dear Customers,

We have received a series of phone calls and support requests in regards to emails that "appear" to have been sent from MicroEd.

Example Wording:
    - microed.com.au ID: youremail address
    - Your Email Account is Suspended For Security Reasons
    - We regret to inform you that your eBay account will be suspended
    - We regret to inform you that your account has been suspended due to the violation of our site policy, more info is attached.

We can assure you that the emails have not come from MicroEd. Our investigations show that this is a templated email that is generated by the W32/Mytob-FK virus or similar.

In simple terms an infected computer has the ability to mass-mail those people in the address book substituting the senders address with another from the address book. The result is an email that appears to have come from MicroEd. There have been similar reports of emails coming from eBay, PayPal and Banks.

As of yesterday there is also a new FBI Hoax email being distributed via the Sober Virus.

- We remind customers to ensure that you protect yourself with AntiVirus software and ensure that the definitions are always up to date and delete any suspect emails.
    - VSafe (free with your MicroEd account) is another way of stopping this type of threat reaching your computer.
    - Be very wary of emails from eBay or your Bank. There are a lot of emails in circulation that claim to be from your bank, eBay or PayPal. 99.90f these emails are fraudulant and are used as a means of obtaining your account details.

If you are interested in reading more about these threats please see the links below:
    W32/Mytob Virus : http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/anal...32mytobfk.html
    W32/Mytob Virus : http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...=WORM_MYTOB.BM
    ebay / PayPay Hoax Emails : http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abu/...10/abu0104/s04
    Bank Hoax Emails : http://www.national.com.au/Internet_...,59153,00.html
    Bank Hoax Emails : http://www.stgeorge.com.au/int_bank/...p?orc=personal
    FBI / Sober Virus: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/fbi-virus-emails.html

If you have any questions then please feel free to contact us.

All the best
    regards,
    Glenn Challen
    (Director)

Titan CEO

hey guys...if you think maybe your anti virus or firewall is no good.....go here and you can download anti virus programs and firewalls for free. they are top notch programs.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525
    i wish i had followed this earlier.
    Last edited by super cronk; 23-11-05 at 01:29 PM.

Just on LimeWire, I use it, and to make sure that I don't end up downloading a virus, I check a couple of things. The file type and the size. Once I have downloaded it, the first thing I do is scan it. This has worked for me for about a year

i had 22 virus last week

Heres another one to watch out for...............

Subject: Possible Fraud and Virus Attacks on Mobile Phones & House Phones!!!

Please be aware of the following:

If you receive a phone call on your mobile or house phone, from any person, saying that, he or she is a company engineer, or telling you that they're checking your mobile line, or land line, and you have to press #90 or #09 or any other number.

End this call immediately without pressing any numbers.

There is a fraud company using a device that once you press #90 or #09 they can access your "SIM" card & or home phone, and make calls at your
    expense.

All mobile users pay attention if you receive a phone call and your mobile phone displays (XALAN) on the screen don't answer the call,
    END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY, if you answer the call, your phone will be infected by a virus..
    This virus will erase all IMEI and IMSI information from both your phone and your SIM card, which will make your phone unable to connect with the telephone network. You will have to buy a new phone.

This information has been confirmed by both Motorola and Nokia. There are over 3 Million mobile phones being infected by this virus in all around the world.
    " Bourbon is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy ".

RHanks for the warning Cyde.