View Poll Results: Should Sonny be allowed to play Origin?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

6 18.75%
  • NO

26 81.25%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Why not? Adrian lam was allowed to play for QLD despite being born in & played for PNG

can't see the difference tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Lets just make NZ a state and have three teams in the State of Origin.
    That is a silly thing to say. NZ is country.

The contest always was intended to be between NSW and Qld based on the state that a player played their first senior game in.

Fatty said on the footy show, how it was Qld versus NSW and that you knew you would have QLDr's around you.... Greg Inglis was born in NSW and plays for QLD in SOS.

Greg lived in NSW until he was 15, moved to QLD to finish his education and at 17 played his first senior game for the devils.

Clearly the criteria is the state you play your first senior game in.

Helen

Lets just make NZ a state and have three teams in the State of Origin.

The contest always was intended to be between NSW and Qld based on the state that a player played their first senior game in.

Fatty said on the footy show, how it was Qld versus NSW and that you knew you would have QLDr's around you.... Greg Inglis was born in NSW and plays for QLD in SOS.

Greg lived in NSW until he was 15, moved to QLD to finish his education and at 17 played his first senior game for the devils.

Clearly the criteria is the state you play your first senior game in.

Helen

Their's too many gray areas as it is without adding more.
    SBW considers himself a kiwi and is therefore ineligible.

Parramattas Nathan Cayless was actually born in NSW yet still considers himself a kiwi and understands that rules out origin eligibilty.

I agree too many grey areas.

Also Inglis didn't have to play for QLD, he was eligible for both and he chose QLD over NSW becuase he supported the Maroons as a kid.

I would like to see the Blues & Maroons take on NZ in a tri-series like Aus Super League, but it probably wouldn't have the same feeling in it.

Once Sonny Bill chose NZ, he should stick with it, we have seen too many chopping and changing already:

Tonie Carroll should have stuck with QLD/AUS (played for QLD in 97, 98, 99 & 00 before representing Kiwis)

Luke Covell playing for Country then NZ

Vagana Bros, Motu Tony, David Solomoana played for NZ and now want to play for Samoa.

Craig Smith playing for QLD then NZ

Luke Ricketson playing for Ireland then Aus (although he played for Blues first)

i am sure there are others but can't remember now.

NO.

Origin should be about where you were born. If you are born in Tweed, Liverpool, Balmain, Royal North Shore, Lismore or Parkes Hospital then you should play for NSW. If you are born in Gold Coast, Brisbane, Townsville or Nambour Hospital then you play for QLD. If you are born in Wellington, Auckland, Suva, London, Melbourne or L.A. General Hospital then you can't play state of origin

No way! It would destroy state of origin and also international football.

This is the biggest load of rubbish.

If you play for QLD or NSW you have to play for Australia.

As for Adrian Lam he was originally selected during Super League when nearly all Queenslanders signed with Super League. Adrian was born in PNG but moved to QLD at a young age.

I don't completely agree with it, if you represent QLD or NSW you must play and have played for the Kangaroos in the future and prior.

I especially dislike what Brad Thorn did. Coming to Austrlaia playing for Queensland and then the Kangaroos and then going back and playing for the All Blacks. What a disgrace.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 21-03-08 at 06:23 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I notice nobody has replied to the 2 posts about Adrian Lam.

Have your opinions changed now because it's a player wanting to play with the NSW team? Nobody in QLD said a word when Lam was selected.

Adrian Lam was selected because there weren't enough QLD players in the ARL during the Super League split. I disagree with it but there were only 16 eligible Qld players in 95, that is why Craig Smith played in 97.

It is wrong but they needed a full team.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post

Helen
    It's not that silly Helen...I've always wanted to see the international league be the games pinnacle but it's just not happening and State of Origin continue to thrive.

If State of Origin continues to host the best matches of the year, let's involve the big hitting Kiwis...they're itching to get into the action.
    Don't tell me they wouldn't be proud to play either.

The thing is...the title "State of Origin" is flexible to include a country

State-A state is a political association with effective sovereignty over a geographic area. These may be nation states or sub-national states.

I think everyone is tending to focus on technicalities and "legal" rulings. The fact and the truth of the matter is State Of Origin has been built over the years based on State PASSION and PRIDE!

There have been a few "grey-area" decisions on legitimacy, but on the whole it has been built on the passion you have for your state. It's not just about the players, it's about the fans. The fans have lifted the SOO series to become Rugby Leagues defining moment of State pride! The fans dictated to the players that this was just as important to us, as the internationals. And the SOO players have responded to this. This is what has made it so great!

So, SBW wants to play SOO because it is the benchmark for Rugby League, and he would like to play at this top level. Fair enough. No one doubts he is good enough. But he doesn't have the passion you get from growing up in, or having the allegiance of belonging to Qld or NSW. You don't just pull on a jumper and get that. It's bred into you. Don't dilute what has made the series great over the past 27 years just because someone feels they are missing out.
    Last edited by C-Whiz; 22-03-08 at 11:30 AM.

NO... on the simple basis that SOO is not just a great spectacle... it's also something for every boy in the bush or city of QLD and NSW to dream about as a kid of playing in... and if Islanders take spots, then the dream is shattered.

QLD'ers ask why we play City vs Country in NSW.. it's for that same reason, sure it doesn't rate so highly and it ain't that great a match at times, but it's the fact that it gives the country kids something to believe in, to aim for, that's why it's there.

Rugby League is all about childhood dreams and boys dreams becoming men's oddessys.

If the NZ players want to play origin, make their own teams from South and North Islands and have their own series so kids in NZ can aspire to that... but don't ruin the dream.... never ruin the dream...

The thing is...the title "State of Origin" is flexible to include a country

State-A state is a political association with effective sovereignty over a geographic area. These may be nation states or sub-national states.
    I'm hearing you, but a tri-series wouldn't work. It would be too long, and honestly, do Qld or NSW really care about getting all fired up to take on a Kiwi team? Also, after nearly 30 years, let's not forget only a handful of points and one game seperates Qld and NSW.

Let the NZRL start a North/South affair. They can build it and own it, and it can be their baby. It might lift the Kiwis into a zone that they have been lacking. Who knows. I know all those years ago, a one-off SOO game wasn't suspected of becoming the Rugby League Goliath it has become today!

I gotta agree with NZRL starting their own SOO equivalent. If it becomes half of what our SOO it might also inspire young Kiwis to pledge allegiance to the Black and White jumper so they can play NZSOO.

And yeah, I don't think the Blues or the Maroons would give a toss about taking on some Kiwi team, and probably wouldn't select their best for that particular match. God forbid Gasnier or Lockyer get ruled out of a NSW v QLD thanks to some boofhead who orders fush und chups for lunch.

Make that the eligibility test for anything concerning Kiwis and Aussies. Send him into the local take away and if he orders "fish and chips" he's green and gold. "Fush und chups" and its a black and white top and haka lessons.
    Last edited by Capital_Shark; 22-03-08 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    Make that the eligibility test for anything concerning Kiwis and Aussies. Send him into the local take away and if he orders "fish and chips" he's green and gold. "Fush und chups" and its a black and white top and haka lessons.
    Classic. You should start an "eligibility" thread. Actually, I'll do it for you.