View Poll Results: Should Sonny be allowed to play Origin?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

6 18.75%
  • NO

26 81.25%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Should Sonny be allowed to play Origin?

Simple question, YES or NO. No sitting on the fence for this one.

GO THE MAROONS!

Raised on the Footy show last night....Interesting topic to say the least.

State of Origin is about QLD v NSW. I don't give a flying f*** if it will improve the international competition or not if Kiwi's/Islanders are allowed to play Origin! Fatty summed it up beautifully on the footy show with what he said last night. Kiwi's wouldn't understand the passion behind wearing the mighty maroon or blue jumper. Gallen even said, he wouldn't wanna line up standing next to a born and bred kiwi. It's just not right for origin. Make a different comp with kiwi's if you want, I don't care, but Origin is QLD v NSW. end of story.

one last thing...

QUEENSLANDER!!!

GO THE MAROONS!

Definitely not.

That would just throw even more ambiguity into the selection process and where someone is from wouldn't even come into STATE of ORIGIN anymore.

Definitly not he is a kiwi not an aussie

He is probably just saying it because he doesn't like playing with bad teams like the bulldogs

NO WAY

NEVER

why don't the kiwis have there own North island vs South island series!

get your own friggin series
    don't try to hoard in on ours!!!
    -
    "And that's the ball game" - Steve 'Blocker' Roach after NSW hit the lead 23-18 with 5 mins to go...
    State Of Origin Game 1 1998
    -
    1992 - 1993 - 1997 - 1998 - 2000 - 2006

no way at all......but im sure QLD will find a way around it, like "oh his mums friends uncle was born in QLD.....he is now a QLDER" pffft

bloody QLDERS!!!!!

State of Origin!..........not whats your favorite colour!

Go The BLUES!!!!

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Definite no for me

I fell asleep durring the footy show last night, did they say what state he wanted to play for?
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Definite no for me

I fell asleep durring the footy show last night, did they say what state he wanted to play for?
    yeah NSW
    he played U/17 & U/19 for NSW so Gus Gould was keen on him playing for the Blues

Sounds to me like a certain state will do anything to get a certain Origin shield
    back from a certain other state.... even if it means destroying the fabric of Origin football.
    disgraceful
    -
    "And that's the ball game" - Steve 'Blocker' Roach after NSW hit the lead 23-18 with 5 mins to go...
    State Of Origin Game 1 1998
    -
    1992 - 1993 - 1997 - 1998 - 2000 - 2006

I voted yes.

I was under the impression that players are selected to play for the state in which they played their first senior football. Not state of birth.

Did this change??? If the rules of selection have not changed then I feel Sonny Bill should be allowed to play.

If the rules have changed to state of birth then I reserve the right to change my answer to no.

Helen

Edited to add. SOS is not country v country. The fact that Sonny Bill plays international footy for NZ imo should be a non issue.
    Last edited by Helen; 21-03-08 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Has another thought.

nah definatley and this is coming from a kiwi they should have liek back in the good ole days of superleague a kiwi team in the origin series

and i cant see why the suddenly stopped having foriegn player play origin since adrian lam png player manage to play for qld

LIVE ORIGIN DRINK XXXX BLEED MAROON
    FINEST STATE FINEST TEAM FINEST BEER XXXX

Love watching Sonny play and he'd be in his element in Origin, but I've gotta say no.

For once I wholeheartedly agree with Fatty Vautin. What makes Origin more than just a game of footy is the passion and pride for the jumper. Sonny wouldn't disappoint, he'd play good football, but there would be a difference. It'd be like if Johns or Lockyer played for NZ; they'd play well, but not with the passion of Wiki or Asotasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    I voted yes.

I was under the impression that players are selected to play for the state in which they played their first senior football. Not state of birth.

Did this change??? If the rules of selection have not changed then I feel Sonny Bill should be allowed to play.

If the rules have changed to state of birth then I reserve the right to change my answer to no.

Helen

Edited to add. SOS is not country v country. The fact that Sonny Bill plays international footy for NZ imo should be a non issue.
    I can understand what you're saying BUT as soon as SBW pledged his elegance to NZ, he knew he would never be able to play origin again!!! Now he's turning around whinging about not being able to play for NSW!

It would ruin the fabric of Origin if half of the blokes out there were Kiwi's! Aussie v Aussie, QLD v NSW!

GO THE MAROONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dummy Half View Post
    he played U/17 & U/19 for NSW
    i had no idea about that..................

if that is the case he 'by the rules' deserves to play in origin.....

on the other hand, he is a kiwi........he reps for NZ not AUS........

but the rules do state that 'ORIGIN' relates to what state they play their senior footy.......

naawww.....im undecided now.........
    (lets just say thank god for new smilies)

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post

but the rules do state that 'ORIGIN' relates to what state they play their senior footy.......
    I thought this may be the case. This is a state v state contest.

This is NOT and never has been an international contest.

Under current criteria SBW is eligible (legally) to play.

If the criteria is changed to state of birth then Willie Mason, Hasim El Masri, Karmichael Hunt and others suddenly become ineligible to play.

My understanding is that there never was a rule in place to say you had to play for Australia internationally to play SOS.

As we have heard constantly over the last week regards the Craig Wing incident.. Them rules is the rules.

Helen

Lets just make NZ a state and have three teams in the State of Origin.