Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XBox 360

Titan First Grade Regular Titans#1's Avatar

Default XBox 360

MICROSOFT Corp would not back down even if the launch of its Xbox 360 video game console fails to propel it to first place in the $US25 billion ($34 billion) global market, chairman Bill Gates said overnight.

"We'll play again," Mr Gates said ahead of the Xbox 360 launch later today.
    Microsoft will be the first of the main gaming console makers to sell a next-generation machine when the Xbox 360 goes on sale and aims to take the lead from Sony Corp's Playstation.

"We learned a lot in the first round. We've got a chance not just to have higher market share, but also to grow the size of this market substantially," Mr Gates said.

The Microsoft co-founder said the Xbox 360 would be better than the next-generation PlayStation 3 console from Sony.

Sony's PlayStation 2 is estimated to capture about 70 per cent of the global game-console market.

"In terms of how we've balanced technology in the machine, we feel certain we've done a better job than Sony," he said.
    "You won't really know that until a year from now, when people are talking about how the games on our machines compare to the games on Sony's machines," Mr Gates said.

Microsoft says highlights of its new machine include high-definition graphics, online game play and Web chat, as well as the ability to connect to music players and cameras.

Microsoft entered the console market in 2001 and grabbed the No. 2 position despite significant handicaps.

Sony's PlayStation 2 had a one-year running start and consumers were sceptical that the maker of the ubiquitous Windows software would do video games well or commit to a new market.

"We had no chance of being No. 1 there," Mr Gates said.

In almost five years, Microsoft has spent nearly $US5 billion on the Xbox, analysts estimate, making it one of Microsoft's biggest bets in recent years.

The Xbox 360 will be in stores before Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Co's Revolution, which are both expected next year, leaving Microsoft free of competition for several months.

The Xbox 360 is more powerful than its predecessor and shows games in high-definition.

Early reviewers have talked up its graphics, and many gamers said they were willing to wait a year or so to see what game developers can do with the new technology.

Gamers have also embraced the Xbox Live online service, which allows a team of players in one living room to compete against an equally matched team elsewhere.

The service also provides downloads of classic games, which appeals to older gamers and women.

When is the release date here?

DeeGan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    When is the release date here?

DeeGan
    This is what it says?????

Quote Originally Posted by news.com.au 22/11/05
    "We'll play again," Mr Gates said ahead of the Xbox 360 launch later today.

ok, just found some more info, release in Europe on Dec 2. Japan on Dec 10th. No idea for Australia yet, but I'll be buggered if I know why it's not a world wide release???

Thanks Titans#1

DeeGan

The US version comes out at either the end of this month, or the start of the next.

I do believe it is being released in Australia around March, dont quote me on that though captain.

SOFTWARE giant Microsoft was elated overnight after its Xbox 360 games console flew off store shelves in the US and fetched huge sums in online auctions.

Queues of hundreds of people were reported at US branches of electronics chains for the midnight launch of a machine that Microsoft hopes will take the console wars to its Japanese arch-rivals Sony and Nintendo.
    By late Tuesday evening in the US, the Best Buy and Wal-Mart chains were displaying the "sold out" sign on their online shops. Industry insiders said Microsoft kept shipments low and hype high.

Xbox 360s retail in the US for $US299 ($405) or $US399 ($540), depending on the configuration.

More than 10,000 units had been listed on the eBay auction website after the launch and were changing hands at an average of $US660 each, eBay spokesman Hani Durzy said.

"I think we've created an incredible piece of hardware," Peter Moore, head of Xbox marketing, said.

"Demand is clearly outstripping supply ... our goal is to get as many consoles as fast as we can into the hands of gamers," he said.
    Unlike with its first foray into games hardware, Microsoft is marching on Sony and Nintendo by releasing the most powerful console yet in time for Christmas.

Neither Sony's PlayStation3 nor the Nintendo Revolution is due to go on sale until next year, giving Microsoft the head-start it failed to achieve with its first Xbox, which came out in 2001 a full year after the PlayStation2.

The software giant has partnered up with all the industry's leading games developers - including Electronic Arts, Activision and Ubisoft - to launch the Xbox 360 with 18 titles.

From launch to the end of February, Microsoft hopes to shift three million units of the console and 5.5 million by the end of July.

The Xbox 360 is scheduled to come out in Europe on December 2 and Japan on December 10. The console will not be released in Australia until next year.

It comes equipped with a DVD player capable also of handling CDs and digital photographs through a built-in Windows Media Centre - the same bundle of applications found in Microsoft's Windows XP operating system for PCs.

The Xbox division has never made a profit, but Microsoft hopes the sleek, silver Xbox 360 will become the must-have gadget for this year's holiday season.

$US660 :dead: i think i will waiting for this one to come down in price.

Well I will be getting one when they launch here in March 2005 as well as the Ps2 - my little bro will get the one I don't want

DeeGan

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    $US660 :dead: i think i will waiting for this one to come down in price.
    Where did you get that from? Says here:
    Xbox 360s retail in the US for $US299 ($405) or $US399 ($540), depending on the configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Titans#1
    Where did you get that from?
    The ebay price........ :dead: "More than 10,000 units had been listed on the eBay auction website after the launch and were changing hands at an average of $US660 each, eBay spokesman Hani Durzy said. "

I just dont know why people would pay that much for it

SONY'S next-generation PlayStation 3 would join newly-released Microsoft Xbox 360 in giving parents tools to limit access to computer games deemed too risque or violent, industry officials said today.

Each of the latest consoles by Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo enable parents to limit access to games based on Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) ratings, according to the Entertainment Software Association (ESA).
    The ESA "is extremely pleased" by the voluntary move by the top game makers to "put the power to regulate the games kids play were it belongs, in the hands of parents," ESA president Douglas Lowenstein said.

The ESA is a trade association representing US computer and video game publishers.

"The combination of these new controls, the existing ESRB rating system, and voluntary commitments by retailers not to sell Mature and Adult Only games to minors strikes the right balance between strong self-regulation and the ultimate responsibility of parents to take charge of the media their kids consume," Mr Lowenstein said.

Independent groups monitoring video game content have criticized the gaming industry and warned parents that the ratings are not always a reliable guide, saying some games deemed suitable for children contain scenes of violence and abuse of women.

How much are the 360's worth brand new?

Quote Originally Posted by Teegy
    How much are the 360's worth brand new?
    This is American, so not sure if it will convert the same here...

Thats still a reasonalbe price. considering i payed 350 for my Xbox when it first came out