Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I'd have Prince in the 7 to organise position play and put Thurston at 5/8 to run with more space.

I've always thought Thurston would be a better 5/8 if a great half back was inside him.

Default Poor media

The Origin side will be chosen tomorrow night and look at the below headline posted on the NRL website.
    The headlines not just deceiving...it degrades the NRL website.

Hunt over as Carmichael replaces Lockyer
    By Wayne Heming
    AAP
    Karmichael Hunt is set to be thrown the toughest challenge of his brief rugby league career on Tuesday as champion Darren Lockyer's Origin replacement.

The No.6 maroon jumper Lockyer has worn for 11 successive Origins as captain since the second game of 2004 has been the subject of intense speculation in recent weeks.

Melbourne's Greg Inglis and Titans halfback Scott Prince, who's been in career best form, were the front-runners until a big push arrived for Hunt at the weekend.

Brisbane's former Origin coach Wayne Bennett has come out publicly in favour of Prince partnering Johnathan Thurston in the halves, warning Queensland selectors they'd look "silly" picking Hunt ahead of him.

Hunt said after Sunday's 30-12 loss to Manly he expected Prince to get the nod.

But coach Mal Meninga, a surprise visitor at Brisbane training last week, is believed to be keen on having Hunt take over Lockyer's play making role against the Blues as he shoots for a third straight series win.

The positional shift would clear the decks to name Test No.1 Billy Slater, to play his sixth Origin and his first since 2005, at fullback.

Hunt's style of ripping kick returns back fearlessly into the defence is perfectly suited to Origin where every centimetre counts.

While Slater takes a less direct path, he's improved key areas of his game that were a concern at Origin to a point where he now has legitimate claims to play fullback.

Unless Prince is named as Queensland's interchange utility, he's heading for another selection backhander, not because of his form, which has been outstanding, but because of the way Queensland want to play.

Queensland selectors, Des Morris, Origin original Allan Smith and Gene Miles, met with coach Meninga on Monday and will announce their 17-man squad on Tuesday afternoon.

The forward pack is unlikely to contain any surprises with Brisbane's Ben Hannant poised to be handed his Origin debut.

Nate Myles, Jacob Lillyman and Michael Crocker will be rewarded for past deeds while in-form Broncos forward Sam Thaiday should be recalled after the disappointment of missing last year's series through injury.

The biggest headache will be finding a player capable of doing the exceptional job utility Shaun Berrigan has performed in the past few years.

Brisbane work horse David Stagg's name was tossed up at the weekend as a player who could play Berrigan's role.

But it would not be beyond the realms of possibility to see selectors pull a surprise by naming either Storm halfback Cooper Cronk or Cowboy utility Aaron Payne.

Both would be capable of giving hooker Cameron Smith - in line to add the Queensland captaincy to his list of achievements - a spell and they would also be insurance should the halves experiment with Hunt not work out.

Former NSW prop Luke Bailey, set to return from a wrist injury against the Bulldogs on Friday night, said he didn't think Prince was getting his Origin hopes up too high after being overlooked for last week's Test against New Zealand.

"I don't think he's really fussed about it. He's not going to get himself all hyped up for a setback," Bailey told AAP.

"If he makes it he'll be stoked, if he doesn't he'll be looking forward to getting back on the winner's track on Friday night."

Titans chief executive Michael Searle said he couldn't fathom how some people thought Prince would be a liability alongside Thurston, saying he would simply create more doubt in the opposition's mind.

"I think there'll be a lot of New South Welshman who would be more than happy if Princey wasn't picked," said Searle.

Likely Queensland squad: Billy Slater, Brent Tate, Justin Hodges, Israel Folau, Greg Inglis, Karmichael Hunt, Johnathan Thurston, Peter Civoniceva, Cameron Smith (c), Ben Hannant, Sam Thaiday, Nate Myles, Dallas Johnson. Interchange: Cooper Cronk, Carl Webb, Michael Crocker, Jacob Lillyman.

Posted:Mon, 12 May 2008 18:04:10

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    The Origin side will be chosen tomorrow night and look at the below headline posted on the NRL website.
    The headlines not just deceiving...it degrades the NRL website.

Hunt over as Carmichael replaces Lockyer
    By Wayne Heming
    AAP
    Karmichael Hunt is set to be thrown the toughest challenge of his brief rugby league career on Tuesday as champion Darren Lockyer's Origin replacement.

The No.6 maroon jumper Lockyer has worn for 11 successive Origins as captain since the second game of 2004 has been the subject of intense speculation in recent weeks.

Melbourne's Greg Inglis and Titans halfback Scott Prince, who's been in career best form, were the front-runners until a big push arrived for Hunt at the weekend.

Brisbane's former Origin coach Wayne Bennett has come out publicly in favour of Prince partnering Johnathan Thurston in the halves, warning Queensland selectors they'd look "silly" picking Hunt ahead of him.

Hunt said after Sunday's 30-12 loss to Manly he expected Prince to get the nod.

But coach Mal Meninga, a surprise visitor at Brisbane training last week, is believed to be keen on having Hunt take over Lockyer's play making role against the Blues as he shoots for a third straight series win.

The positional shift would clear the decks to name Test No.1 Billy Slater, to play his sixth Origin and his first since 2005, at fullback.

Hunt's style of ripping kick returns back fearlessly into the defence is perfectly suited to Origin where every centimetre counts.

While Slater takes a less direct path, he's improved key areas of his game that were a concern at Origin to a point where he now has legitimate claims to play fullback.

Unless Prince is named as Queensland's interchange utility, he's heading for another selection backhander, not because of his form, which has been outstanding, but because of the way Queensland want to play.

Queensland selectors, Des Morris, Origin original Allan Smith and Gene Miles, met with coach Meninga on Monday and will announce their 17-man squad on Tuesday afternoon.

The forward pack is unlikely to contain any surprises with Brisbane's Ben Hannant poised to be handed his Origin debut.

Nate Myles, Jacob Lillyman and Michael Crocker will be rewarded for past deeds while in-form Broncos forward Sam Thaiday should be recalled after the disappointment of missing last year's series through injury.

The biggest headache will be finding a player capable of doing the exceptional job utility Shaun Berrigan has performed in the past few years.

Brisbane work horse David Stagg's name was tossed up at the weekend as a player who could play Berrigan's role.

But it would not be beyond the realms of possibility to see selectors pull a surprise by naming either Storm halfback Cooper Cronk or Cowboy utility Aaron Payne.

Both would be capable of giving hooker Cameron Smith - in line to add the Queensland captaincy to his list of achievements - a spell and they would also be insurance should the halves experiment with Hunt not work out.

Former NSW prop Luke Bailey, set to return from a wrist injury against the Bulldogs on Friday night, said he didn't think Prince was getting his Origin hopes up too high after being overlooked for last week's Test against New Zealand.

"I don't think he's really fussed about it. He's not going to get himself all hyped up for a setback," Bailey told AAP.

"If he makes it he'll be stoked, if he doesn't he'll be looking forward to getting back on the winner's track on Friday night."

Titans chief executive Michael Searle said he couldn't fathom how some people thought Prince would be a liability alongside Thurston, saying he would simply create more doubt in the opposition's mind.

"I think there'll be a lot of New South Welshman who would be more than happy if Princey wasn't picked," said Searle.

Likely Queensland squad: Billy Slater, Brent Tate, Justin Hodges, Israel Folau, Greg Inglis, Karmichael Hunt, Johnathan Thurston, Peter Civoniceva, Cameron Smith (c), Ben Hannant, Sam Thaiday, Nate Myles, Dallas Johnson. Interchange: Cooper Cronk, Carl Webb, Michael Crocker, Jacob Lillyman.

Posted:Mon, 12 May 2008 18:04:10
    I like that side.
    "Go the Titans"

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Lockyer View Post
    I like that side.
    Darrren,
    You don't have to quote the whole paragraph...you can delete want part you don't want before submitting.

How ******ed would the QLD selectors have to be to throw Hunt untested in at 5/8 in the grandest stage of them all - Origin football.
    If they do we're begging to get our butts handed to us.

So Hunt's biggest value to the origin side is his kick returns, and they're going to pick him on that basis at 5/8th?

That'd be like picking Peter Civoniceva on the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by kwigibo View Post
    That'd be like picking Peter Civoniceva on the wing.
    Don't give them any ideas mate
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

My Queensland side...

1. Billy Slater
    2. Brent Tate
    3. Justin Hodges
    4. Greg Inglis
    5. Israel Folau
    6. Johnathan Thurston
    7. Scott Prince
    8. Peter Civoniceva
    9. Cam Smith
    10. Ben Hannant
    11. Sam Thaiday
    12. Nate Myles
    13. Dallas Johnson

14. Karmichael Hunt (Utility)
    15. Michael Crocker
    16. Jacob Lillyman
    17. Carl Webb

We all have tremendously fine players in Queensland who will all do a fantastic job, I'm just hoping for Slater #1 and Prince #7 or #6.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    My Queensland side...

1. Billy Slater
    2. Brent Tate
    3. Justin Hodges
    4. Greg Inglis
    5. Israel Folau
    6. Johnathan Thurston
    7. Scott Prince
    8. Peter Civoniceva
    9. Cam Smith
    10. Ben Hannant
    11. Sam Thaiday
    12. Nate Myles
    13. Dallas Johnson

14. Karmichael Hunt (Utility)
    15. Michael Crocker
    16. Jacob Lillyman
    17. Carl Webb

We all have tremendously fine players in Queensland who will all do a fantastic job, I'm just hoping for Slater #1 and Prince #7 or #6.
    Good side Diehard...maybe you should be a QLD selector.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Thought i would get in early for my second origin team bar, i would pick the same team except i would have ryles cover for crosses injury.

However i will do a queensland team i think that could smash nsw, but i doubt the selectors will pick it

1. Hunt
    2. Boyd
    3. Hodges
    4. Inglis
    5. Falou
    6. Lockyer (if still injured Thurston)
    7. Prince
    8. Petro
    9. Smith
    10. Price ( if not match fit, Hannat)
    11. Myles
    12. Crocker
    13. Johnson

14. Webb
    15. Thaiday
    16. David Stagg
    17. Harrison

Junior

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy2007Dragons View Post
    Thought i would get in early for my second origin team bar, i would pick the same team except i would have ryles cover for crosses injury.

However i will do a queensland team i think that could smash nsw, but i doubt the selectors will pick it

1. Hunt
    2. Boyd
    3. Hodges
    4. Inglis
    5. Falou
    6. Lockyer (if still injured Thurston)
    7. Prince
    8. Petro
    9. Smith
    10. Price ( if not match fit, Hannat)
    11. Myles
    12. Crocker
    13. Johnson

14. Webb
    15. Thaiday
    16. David Stagg
    17. Harrison
    Nice one! Glad to see you booted Tate and gave an in-form Boyd a go! He is a star of the future (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by jenwood View Post
    Nice one! Glad to see you booted Tate and gave an in-form Boyd a go! He is a star of the future (IMO)
    if they pick tate again for game 2, i think i will have to neck myself...
    he was a joke in game 1, and more important should never have been there in the first place
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by daveyk View Post
    if they pick tate again for game 2, i think i will have to neck myself...
    he was a joke in game 1, and more important should never have been there in the first place
    Glad you agree! If they get rid of Tate- put hunt at f/b, billy on the wing,thurston to 5/8 and prince at no 7 where he should be! Add inglis, hodges and folau and what a team you have!
    Now the selectors have to come to the party!

Couldn't give a toss who Queensland pick, as long as they're dumb enough to leave Prince out again.

For the Mighty Blues, pretty much the first game team with Bailey in for Cross, and Farah for Hornby on the bench (since Hornby was used as a replacement hooker anyway). Peter Wallace should be marked "permanent halfback" so we can stop chopping and changing every year.

Jason
    Go the Steelers, Dragons, Titans, West Coast Eagles, Swannies, Sydney FC, Man United, Wollongong Hawks, Blues (league and cricket) , Waratahs, Sydney Flames, Sydney Swifts, HRT, MacLaren, and whoever's playing the All Blacks or England!

R.I.P. Brocky

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

With Gasnier likely to be out who is everyones replacement centre, selectors will probably pick jaimie lyon but id have a younger playe like Phil Graham or Monagahn from the raiders.