14. Anthony Laffranchi
    15. Anthony Tupou
    16. Craig Fitzgibbon
    17. Ben Hornby

NSW have announced their team for SOO1

Source:www.smh.com.au

Wallace halfback in NSW Origin shock
    May 13, 2008 - 10:19AM

Brisbane youngster Peter Wallace has secured the contentious halfback berth in the NSW team to play Queensland in game one of the rugby league State of Origin series at ANZ Stadium on May 21.

Wallace will partner Test five-eighth Greg Bird in the halves after Newcastle's odds-on favourite Kurt Gidley suffered a cheek injury in his team's NRL loss to Melbourne on Monday night.

Melbourne Storm's Anthony Quinn gained the wing spot which had been considered up for grabs while Test prop Brent Kite was the most glaring omission.

NSW: Brett Stewart, Jarryd Hayne, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Anthony Quinn, Greg Bird, Peter Wallace, Brett White, Danny Buderus (capt), Ben Cross, Ryan Hoffman, Willie Mason, Paul Gallen. Interchange: Anthony Laffranchi, Anthony Tupou, Craig Fitzgibbon, Ben Hornby.

? 2008 AAP

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

A good NSW Squad there, whilst i'm suprised by Wallaces inclusion i'm very excited about it, hes a good young player and a possible long term halfback, thats what nsw needs atm is a consistnet long term half and wallace maybe the answer.

Obv i'm wrapped to have Cooper, Gasnier and Hornby in the side, just very lucky melbourne are missing a few as well for this weekend so that may work in our favour.

I'm also very happy to see ben Cross and Fitzgibbion earn jerseys this game, both played extremelly well in the city/country match and both are outstandign talents, fitzgibbion will provide good expirence.

Finally very glad that Laffranchi earned a bench spot, i would have had him starting but its good to see him in the side.

ALL in ALL im very excited about the matchup and the squad selected, should be a very good contest.

ps. i'm glad too see Kite dropped as i thin khe is very overratted and didn't do much in the test match.

Not a bad looking team for NSW there, but still not good enough to hold out the Maroons
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Interesting, to note there will be only 10 interchanges in this game.

I don't think there are too many shocks in this side as Wallace was always going to be in the 17 but if anyone watched the weekends matches there is no way Cross should've got a start ahead of Kite but i guess that as expected the coach gets the team He Wants

Boof may be wearing the 14 but i think he'll start the match & bring Mason on after the 1st 20
    #itaintweaktospeak

Great to see Laffranchi in. I thought maybe Mini deserved a spot too, but he might get there yet.

I really hope Wallace does well. We've lacked a good halfback for a while now, whereas Queensland has had more of an issue of which great halfback to pick.

I'm happy with this side... pretty much what I was expecting...

Hornby is in there as he can cover a lot of roles, super versatile and has shown some form for the Dragons even during a tough start to the season, so I think it was the right choice.

Well done to Fitzy for keeping at bay a host of players and getting a bench spot and great work by the selectors for taking a gamble on Wallace... if he can show the form he's showing for Brisbane on a big game level, he could be the future for NSW..

Junior

Just looked on Foxsports web site and Qld Team is there. Tate is on the wing with Hunt at no 6. No Prince Cant believe Tate got picked over Prince-The only game I have seen Tate play this year he didnt do much to impress.!
    Not happy Jan

Queensland team just got named

Billy Slater, Brent Tate, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Israel Folau, Karmichael Hunt, Johnathan Thurston, Carl Webb, Cameron Smith (c), Petero Civoniceva, Michael Crocker, Sam Thaiday, Dallas Johnson.
    Interchange: PJ Marsh, Ben Hannant, Nate Myles, Jacob Lillyman.
    Source: www.foxsports.com.au

I have had no time at all over the past few months to come here and post due to uni committments, but I had to come back for another annual rant at the selectors... How in the world can they CONTINUE to ignore the Titans and the brilliance of Scott Prince?! It makes no sense to see Hunt in the side, let alone at number 6

Junior

I agree Hunt should be there but Tate shouldnt! Hunt at F/B,Slater on the wing and Prince at no 7 with Thurston at 6 would be much better IMO.!

Being a Blues fan i'm wrapped that Mal has left Prince out of the side & i'm very happy that they have picked Tate & PJ because neither is Origin quality anymore
    #itaintweaktospeak

PJ Marsh is only in the side because he is a Bronco... he struggled to get a run during his prime because he played for Parra and New Zealand, but now that he is a Bronco, the selectors love him. Brent Tate? What the hell has he done to deserve selection this year? Seeing NSW's side compared to this one, I am worried that we are going to cop a beating come game one.

Junior Titan

too be honest with you,leaving Prince out is a massive mistake.
    And as a Blues supporter im happy too see Hunt at 5/8,i was dreading the thought of Thurston and Princey together.At least as a Titans supporter we have him for Fri night but surely the man deserves a shot and should have been there with no second thoughts by selectors.
    I dont think the QLD side is near as potent as it possibly could have been.

Tate?
    Hunt at 5/8?

NSW are a good chance after all.