Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Wayne Bennett quits the Broncos

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...56-952,00.html
    Article from: AAP
    Wayne Heming
    February 03, 2008 11:00pm

FOUNDATION coach Wayne Bennett will tell the Brisbane Broncos board he will step down from the job at the end of the 2008 NRL season.

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen could not be contacted for comment on a report on ninemsn.com claiming to have an exclusive.

The club is expected to call a press conference during the morning to announce Bennett's decision.

Sources close to Bennett indicated the master coach would see out this season and then walk away.

Bennett has a contract with the Broncos until the end of 2009 but there's been constant speculation the 58 year-old six-time premiership winning coach, who has been the target of media attacks in recent months, could step down.

The website report says sources within the club believe Bennett has decided to step down as coach at the end of the year.

He is likely to go on to the open market, making himself available to coach at any club.

Bennett has been linked with several NRL clubs recently including the Cowboys, St George, the Bulldogs and at the weekend with a straight swap deal with Canberra coach Neil Henry.

Apart from his six premierships ? in 1992, 1993, 1997, 1998, 2000, and 2006 ? Bennett has coached the Queensland Origin side to several series wins and coached Australia 16 times between 1998 and 2005.

It will be a sad day at the Broncos when/if he goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

QLD Cup Titan

He's been a drawcard to the Broncos for players. Seems he not interested too much in the Club Business or wheeler dealings, just the Playing Staff!

His record speaks for itself and I have no doubt that he'll be extremely hard to replace- harder than finding another "manager" to replace Bruno Cullen (Managers are a dime a dozen!!! Good coaches are as rare as hen's teeth!)

Mind you in the bad Broncos seaons - Wayne with Management approval has cut a few good people!
    Last edited by Old Diehard; 05-02-08 at 03:04 AM.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the $100k he was apparently pocketing on the side?

A huge loss for the Broncs, and I would assume it will upset their rebuilding this year after losing so much senior talent. It was going to be a tough season for them anyway, but if it's true, I'd expect the Broncos to finish closer to the bottom than the top.

Bennett to replace Brown at the Dragons - that has a ring I like!

I like Browny but he is not in the class of Wayne.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Pity the RLIF couldnt employ Bennett to help develop the game and its players world wide.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Maybe Wayne misses Petero.

Broncos can have Elliott!!

A huge blow for the Broncos and the NRL alike if he decides to retire.

After all the media hype recently perhaps its for the best.

Good Luck to wayne in his future endeavours - to lead a team to 6 GF Wins from 6 attempts is fantastic.

As what has happened to the broncos with many of their big name players departing in the last year - its an end of an era.

be interesting to see who will be the new broncos coach and how they will go without bennett.

Maybe a new coach like Alan Langer or Mal Meninga maybe be the go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink View Post
    Pity the RLIF couldnt employ Bennett to help develop the game and its players world wide.
    Why can't they?
    I think Bennett would be perfect for a role like that

Would the Saints be interested in Daniel Anderson?

Kevvie Walters would also have to factor.

But I'll believe Bennett is moving on when I see it.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Has Bennett actually confirmed his resignation?

Bennett tells players he's leaving

BRISBANE players say they are disappointed after foundation coach Wayne Bennett confirmed he will quit the club at the end of the 2008 NRL season.

Bennett told his players of his decision before training at the club's Red Hill headquarters, where a swarm of media gathered this morning.

The Broncos board ?reluctantly? accepted Bennett's request for an early release from his contract, which was to have ended after the 2009 season.

Canberra coach Neil Henry is considered the early favourite to replace Bennett if a deal can be arranged to release him from the Raiders.

Whoever his successor is, he will have big boots to fill.

Bennett, 58, is entering his 21st season at the helm of the Broncos where he has guided them to six premierships - 1992, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2006 and the 1997 Super League title.

?Wayne told us this morning,? fullback Karmichael Hunt said.

Boom forward Dave Taylor was one to express disappointment.

?I'd be happier if he was staying at the club,? said Taylor, who recently extended his contract to the end of 2009.

The Brisbane board released a statement saying it had accepted Bennett's resignation and reasoning for wanting to leave after the coming season.

?Wayne has always told us he would know when the time was right for him to exit the club and he advised us last night that he believed that time was at the end of the 2008 season,? said Broncos chairman Darryl Somerville.

Bennett contacted Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen Monday and asked for a meeting where he revealed his decision.

Both Cullen and Somerville said Bennett had made a magnificent contribution to the club.

?Wayne has presided over not over only six grand final wins from six appearances but also numerous other honours including minor premierships, pre-season and mid-week competitions and World Club Championships,? said Cullen.

?But perhaps his greatest achievement was his leading role in building the club up from scratch to establish a very highly regarded sporting franchise, one that has few peers in the country.?

Former Brisbane and Australia forward and captain, Gorden Tallis, told Fox Sports News that the timing of the announcement should help the Broncos focus on the season ahead.

"I think it's (the decision) has taken the pressure off him, and taken the pressure off the team. All the speculation that's been going on behind the scenes ? now that's away from everybody, they can concentrate on football."

"He doesn't like any distraction with the team and I think what this does is clear the air, the media know now that Wayne's not there. Obviously they're going to talk to him about what club he's going to ? it's going to affect other teams but certainly not the Broncos.

Tallis also spoke candidly about the way Bennett has nurtured players throughout his two decades at the helm of the club.

"He tries to improve you as a man, more than anything," he said.

"The football comes as second nature to these guys. Off the field he really tries to help the kids ? he becomes a father figure, especially to a lot of young kids, and then when you get older you sort of grow up with him and he becomes your dad. Not too many blokes would have a bad thing to say about him."

http://www.news.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

It will be a sad day for the Broncos and Queensland rugby league when he leaves. Hopefully he doesn't "sell out" and move to a Sydney club. However the idea of him going back to Canberra does sound reasonable.

As for who will replace him.....I would like to see Mal Meninga take up the job, however his business commitments will probably prevent him from taking the job (that is if he wanted it). Allan Langer has put his hands up.....he is a legend but i don't see him as a coach.

WAYNE BENNETT STATEMENT

On December 10 2007 I informed certain members of the Brisbane Broncos Board of my intention to resign at the completion of Season 2008. I was requested to take a 'cooling off period', which I agreed to. If my position had not changed by the end of January 2008 it was agreed that my intentions would be made public after the scheduled Board Meeting on Tuesday February 5.

Last night I officially informed the Board of my resignation.

My time has come - not as a Coach - but as the Coach of the Broncos. The Broncos have always believed it is better for a player to leave a year too early than a year too late. I have always believed there should be no exception, even for the Coach.

I have had a wonderful career at the Broncos. In fact it has been an unbelievable experience.

Firstly, I would like to thank the players I have coached. Our organization has been built on a culture of hard work, mateship and a never say die attitude in all that we do. Because of their attitude to these three principles they have been rewarded many times over. I have always felt supported by the players I was coaching and as a coach who can ask for more? I am deeply indebted to them.

The staff, I have had the privilege of working with were and are the best in their field. They have been outstanding and totally committed to the Broncos. They may not have received the accolades the players received but they helped to set the standard and work ethic that the current players enjoy.

To the original owners, Paul Morgan, Barry Maranta, Gary Balkin and Steve Williams - thank you for the belief and confidence you had in me. We shared the same ideals when it came to building the club, it was the hard way, but it was the only way the club was going to have long term success. Those establishing days were the best and I am so grateful to have been a part of them.

Finally to the fans, you have made my experiences something special. Your support has been at times more than I anticipated, but all the more worthwhile. I have received letters, pats on the back and encouragement - more than I thought was possible. Personally, the years 1992 and 2006 were the happiest the club has seen you all and I feel privileged to have shared them with you.

My intention is to continue to coach - either in the Northern Hemisphere or the Southern Hemisphere. My time has not come to an end as a Coach.

I am currently not in negotiations with any other club. I am as committed to the Broncos as I have always been. I owe that not only to myself, but to the players, the staff and the fans.

At this time my intention is to not make any further comment regarding my future as we at the Broncos have a season in front of us and as always I want the focus to be on the team. My commitment is to the team and that has always been and will always be my first priority.

I ask that this wish is respected.

Source: http://www.broncos.com.au
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 05-02-08 at 06:44 PM.