Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Galaxy on the Coast

GALAXY PROBE FINDS LIFE

Pat Mcleod

14Dec07

THE Gold Coast is likely to be handed an A-League soccer licence next month.

The head of the fledgling Gold Coast Galaxy consortium Fred Taplin yesterday confirmed the city was close to being given the green light to host it's third national sporting team.

"The FFA (Football Federation Australia) will be up here for talks in January at which time we are optimistic that we will be given a licence to operate," said Taplin who is listed as the sole director of three Gold Coast companies -- Taplin Investments Pty Ltd, Gold Pages International Pty Ltd and Keyblue Pty Ltd.

The momentum to expand the eight-team A-League and to include the Gold Coast gathered pace following a meeting between the Coast consortium and FFA chief executive Ben Buckley in Sydney on Wednesday.

"That meeting was the culmination of a year's work," said Taplin. "We put an outline presentation to Mr Buckley to make sure our modelling was the kind of thing they wanted and we received a very, very favourable response.

"We were invited to make a formal submission in January. We were led to believe that if the submission is anything like we were talking, a licence is likely to be forthcoming.

"At least we are optimistic that it will be."

In fact the Gold Coast could be asked to field a team in the A-League as early as next year.

"I would prefer 2009 because that gives us more time to build a fan base and promotion, which is a very big aspect of what we are doing," said Taplin. "However, we will be guided by the FFA. If they say it is 2008 or nothing, then we will field a competitive team regardless and we will make it entertaining and good for the fans.

"It was difficult to gauge what the FFA's time frame is.

"Of course all of this is subject to the other A-League clubs agreeing.

"But my advice is that they pretty much support expansion. We are so optimistic that we are going flat out on absolutely everything."

Taplin said the club was already in discussion with player managers and coaches just in case a team has to be gathered for the 2008 season.

"Yes, we're talking to people right now, with managers overseas.

"If it is 2008 then, because of contracts already in place, that cuts in on who we would like. But even if it is 2008 we won't be lacking, we will be competitive.

"As far as the coaching position goes we are in discussion with three or four different people.

"A lot depends on which year we come in, but you will not be disappointed in the names."

In other exciting developments, the club, which will train out of the Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre, is hopeful of having a link with David Beckham's Los Angeles Galaxy.

There are also plans for an international soccer academy at Runaway Bay.

Taplin would not reveal who else was behind the bid or the financial specifics, but boasted that the franchise would be successful 'from the word go'.

"Until the FFA get the full submission I can't comment on who the people behind the bid are," he said.

"I can say that they are very prominent Gold Coast businessmen, very prominent.

"If the FFA did not like our financial model, as drafted, they would not have given us the encouragement to carry on.

"Money is not a problem. We believe our accountants have put together what we believe will be the most successful financial model of any league team at all -- it numbers millions."

The Galaxy have already spoken to the Queensland government over the use of the 27,000-seat Skilled Park.

"We would be disappointed if we did not get around 10,000 there from the start," said Taplin.

"We have no doubt the Gold Coast can and will support this team."
    RENAULT F1 TEAM 2005 & 2006 CONSTRUCTORS CHAMPIONS!!!!

Talking

I hope this works out! I really like the name... Gold Coast Galaxy
    The Titans are successful, the Blaze are Blazing so why not A-League!
    It goes to show how awesome the Gold Coast is and the talant we have just brilliant!! Go Galaxy!! :woot:

I hope they get in along with North QLD. We're most of the way towards 3 NRL teams, 3 A-League teams and 4 NBL teams!

Do you think there is enough quality players out there fill the positions at the new clubs?? You could be diluting the standard,its still early days for the A-league,perhaps they should grow whats in place for a few more years yet? Having said that would be great to have a team on the Gold Coast!!

Quote Originally Posted by quins rl View Post
    Do you think there is enough quality players out there fill the positions at the new clubs?? You could be diluting the standard,its still early days for the A-league,perhaps they should grow whats in place for a few more years yet? Having said that would be great to have a team on the Gold Coast!!
    People are saying that the A-League is becoming boring and stale with only 7 opponents. I think adding two more teams would be a great way to jazz things up a bit for another couple of years and keep people interested in the comp.

I'd support a new GC A-league soccer team in a heart beat. Heaps better than some broken down, second rate AFL team forced upon us that not even Melbourne want!

ive been goin to a few soccer matches latly and the atmosphere is great
    but a soccer team on the coast may work IMO if the titans some how stop gaining support and the kangaroos move up here AND soccer becomes the number one sport in aus
    GOLD COAST TITANS 08 "THATS MY TEAM"

And the gold Coast rush continues.

They might be a lack of talent and sponsors but I'm sure they can scrap up some players from overseas and playing in such a fantastic stadium as Skilled Park would be very enticing.

Just as long as there colours aren't blue or gold.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    And the gold Coast rush continues.

They might be a lack of talent and sponsors but I'm sure they can scrap up some players from overseas and playing in such a fantastic stadium as Skilled Park would be very enticing.

Just as long as there colours aren't blue or gold.
    As for the Colours Diehard, i have a feeling they might be blue and gold.
    If they are going to be linked to the LA Galaxy then they might adopt the same colours which are blue and gold on white.
    This doesn't bother me as it seems to be the colours of the coast so it really represents us as a city.

Anyway, i'd join as a member. Football (soccer) matches are always full of amazing atmosphere and they will use the best stadium.

It bothers me. Blaze and even the Aces (Though they at least used black) and now maybe the Galaxy.

But come on...we don't need ANOTHER team using the same colours.

To me team colours are part of branding and image.

And the more teams that tap into it and use them just dilutes our brand.

If they use navy, I would be cool with that. It would be distinct and relevant.

But L.A Galaxy seemed to have different colours before this year. They used to be gold and teal then green and gold.

If they do get in, it would be cool if Movie World sponsored them. Also the Roar wouldn't really represent all of Queensland anymore.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 15-12-07 at 08:20 PM.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I seem to remember reading in an old article that they were planning on using the same colours as the Titans/Skilled Park.

I guess the Titans should see this as quite flattering, they've basically chosen the colours that every GC sports team will wear from now on.

Yeah! I see your point Diehard. Let's hope the new ALF team doesn't steal the Titans colours! As for the Galaxy - a dark navy blue would be alright, it would kind of represent the night sky or space.
    I wasn't aware of the Galaxy having different colours.

I wonder if the Roar would change there name? Who knows?

Yea the Roar should change back to being the Brisbane Lions.

The Galaxy apparently rebranded this year when Beckham joined.

Changed their logo and colours. Apparently they are called Galaxy cause LA is a sea of Hollywood stars.

The name would work for Hollywood on the Gold Coast.

I reckon they should call the roar the Brisbane Roar

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

THE path has been cleared for two new Queensland teams to enter the A-League, possibly as early as next season.

Backers of the cashed-up Gold Coast Galaxy met Football Federation Australia chief executive Ben Buckley in Sydney yesterday, and it's understood it's no longer a matter of if they will join the league, but when. Another consortium based in Townsville, tentatively called Northern Thunder FC, is due to meet Buckley next week. Both groups would prefer to join the league in 2009, but insist they can step into the breach next season if required.

While the FFA's A-League review is not due to be completed until April, it's understood the FFA is keen to fast-track expansion to take advantage of the AFL's delay in finalising its new team on the Gold Coast. Football wants to to get a head start on the AFL on the Gold Coast, but the FFA doesn't want a nine-team competition, so North Queensland may also be pressed to bring forward its submission. An FFA delegation is expected to travel to the Gold Coast and Townsville early next month to run a final rule over both bids. If they're deemed ready enough they will join the league in 2008-09. If not, they will be admitted the following year.

Other bidders interested in joining the league - notably Wollongong, Geelong, western Sydney and a second Melbourne franchise - may now have to take a back seat while the FFA beds down its new-look 10-team competition.

Gold Coast Galaxy are believed to have impressed the FFA with a financial model, which will uses profits from a property development company to pay the football club, and are a long way down the track of finalising colours (yellow and blue) and a logo, and have all but secured the soon-to-be completed 25,000-seat stadium at Robina as their home ground. The Galaxy have also finalised a lease for using the Runaway Bay complex as a training venue, are working on plans to build a major academy, are close to completing a sister club deal with Los Angeles Galaxy, while former Queensland Roar coach Miron Bleiberg will be involved in some capacity - but not necessarily as first-team coach.

A buoyant Galaxy executive chairman Fred Taplin said last night he had "no doubt" the Gold Coast would be in the A-League before it was in the AFL, but he wasn't sure of the exact timing. It's understood if the FFA had given the green light before last month's transfer window, the Galaxy would have been a lot more confident about assembling a competitive squad next season.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/...135558003.html
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 17-12-07 at 10:16 PM.