Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Titan One Clubman

In the ideal world both will stay..

But if they sack Noad to keep Mason, it sets a dangerous precedent. Willie Mason will feel like he is untouchable. I can't believe he was stupid enough to ask if he could fight in a boxing match.. The bloke is well looked after by the club in wages, does he really think they want to risk him competing in a boxing match and stuffing his wrist again. Obviously they want to protect their $450,000 a year investment.

p.s- Malcolm Noad was wearing a pink shirt and managed to pull it off without looking like a tool- RESPECT

It sure is a dangerous precedent......

Plus how many people can say "it's either going to be you or me leaving" to their boss and not get fired?

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    It sure is a dangerous precedent......

Plus how many people can say "it's either going to be you or me leaving" to their boss and not get fired?
    I agree, in the real world your out on your **** before you can finish your sentence. But in football, certain people can. I reckon Johns could have. Fittler too. Not putting Mason in their class whatsoever, but for the Bulldogs .. Well, we'll have to wait and find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Old Diehard View Post
    WHO WILL GET THE BOOT - WILLIE OR NOAD?

Well Noad ain't going to win canterbury any games! So my bet is he's gone and Willie you're safe!

Just thought I repeat it because damn! Because it could make me sound smart just like Ray Hadlee!

And I haven't any more a clue than you people - I see Media speculation- Waffle!- guessing and then plain old common sense! The canterbury Outfit need Willy more than they need management Noad! If one has to go!

each way bet on the kiss and make up! Because if it doesn't happen then canterbury are just lessening their chances of winning next year (and St George's odds come in shorter to 20 to 1!)

Bulldogs may be reduced to bare bones

November 1, 2007 - 7:12PM

The dog fight at Belmore is getting nasty and if Willie Mason's claims are realistic, all that will be left is a carcass of a former NRL powerhouse.

Mason is threatening to not only walk out of the final two years of his NRL contract, but says the Bulldogs' four highest profile players are willing to follow him, decimating a team once considered the most feared in the NRL.

The 27-year-old Test star is at loggerheads with club chief executive Malcolm Noad over a denied request to participate in a professional boxing bout next January and a club imposed fine for missing a grand final function.

Mason has reportedly given club chairman George Peponis a `him or me' ultimatum regarding Noad, a battle the player is unlikely to win.

The disgruntled Test forward appears closer to ending his 11-year Bulldogs career, which would almost certainly end his time in the NRL as no club could afford his $400,000 price tag next year at this late stage.

The Bulldogs have not ruled out releasing Mason, but are unlikely to allow him to join a rival NRL club leaving his immediate future in England or a career change to boxing.

With crisis talks between Mason and the Bulldogs to continue on Friday, Noad said the club won't back down on its tough stance declaring the player needs to show more respect to club, teammates and supporters.

"No one player is bigger than a club and I think it's reached that stage and he needs to understand that," said Noad.

"Is there a line in the sand? We've been disappointed with a number of things through the year ... there are a litany of things where Willie has let us down and we were going to address those anyway before he came back to pre-season training.

"This is about discipline and it's about respect."

Mason's manager Greg Keenan released a statement which claimed other high profile Bulldogs could leave if Mason sought a release.

"Four of the highest profile players at the club have told Willie that if he leaves they will consider following him," said Keenan.

"At this stage (Mason) has not sought a release from the club but whether he does remains to be seen."

Keenan has been infuriated by Noad's comments regarding Mason's commitment to the club.

"No one from the playing group has contributed more than Willie over that period," said Keenan.

"He has consistently agreed to contracts below his market value because of loyalty to the Bulldogs.

"He has also deferred contract payments a number of times in an effort to help the club through their ongoing salary cap issues.

"For Malcolm Noad to suggest that Willie thinks he is bigger than the club is ill informed and very unfair."

Former league star turned boxing champion Anthony Mundine urged Mason to follow his dreams, believing he could be a success in the ring.

"I'm close with Willie and I don't feel that a club can hold anyone back from their dreams," said Mundine.

"If Willie feels he wants to test the waters in boxing and feels he might make a go of it, then he should do it."

While an end to the in-fighting appears distant, Noad remains optimistic he can broker a peaceful resolution and foster a working relationship with Mason, ensuring both CEO and player remain at the club.

"The CEO in any club is not necessarily going to be the most popular person, he is the one that dishes out the discipline," said Noad.

"I don't expect every player to like me, but I do expect them to have discipline and I do expect them to have respect.

"I will always put the club before the individual interests of anyone in the club, whether that is myself or a player.

"I can work with anyone who is committed to this football club. If you're not committed to this football club I don't want to work with them."

While Mason has long been a fan favourite, Noad believes his latest public performance has done more damage to his own reputation than the club's after receiving support from both fans and sponsors.

"On the basis of the deluge of emails I've had at the moment, no I'm not worried about (a fan backlash)," he said.

"The club will move on, with or without Willie Mason."

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    Bulldogs fans are sick and tired of having their club in the headlines for all the wrong reason. And it is always the players who drag this club down.

Willie needs to be knocked down a peg or three.

A fair percentage of Bulldogs fans seem ratbags! So I not sure where you got got your data from on them being sick & tired of the Club coping the raw prawn!

And to all those decent citzens who support the bulldogs - again don't blame me for the critism of some of your brothers! Bulldogs fans seem to attract negative reviews and have for a fair while. And no I don't live in Sydney and understand the socio-economic reasons it happens!
    Last edited by Old Diehard; 01-11-07 at 09:11 PM.

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by Old Diehard View Post
    A fair percentage of Bulldogs fans seem ratbags! So I not sure where you got got your data from on them being sick & tired of the Club coping the raw prawn!

And to all those decent citzens who support the bulldogs - again don't blame me for the critism of some of your brothers! Bulldogs fans seem to attract negative reviews and have for a fair while. And no I don't live in Sydney and understand the socio-economic reasons it happens!
    I've been to dogs home games before and have never had problems.. and this is being involved at with a group that would definitely be seen and heard at the ground.
    I've encountered far bigger w@nkers at Roosters and Sea Eagles Matches

Quote Originally Posted by Social Loafer View Post
    I've never been to a Roosters or Sea Eagles match. It was Canberra Stadium where you encountered me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titans First Grader hugebrianfan's Avatar

ive only been to panthers verse bulldogs, knights Verse broncos and knights verse storms..

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Social Loafer View Post
    I've been to dogs home games before and have never had problems.. and this is being involved at with a group that would definitely be seen and heard at the ground.
    Well I never been to Belmore Oval or a Bulldogs home game either! In fact you come across w@nkers where ever you go! I surpose ya just got to get used to it!

Again I said I don't live in Sydney nor do I go to any games there- hearsay only/press beat up , I don't know but the Bulldogs cop the most! Again as I said I don't understand the socio-economics of it!

But I surpose my point was canterbury won't be releasing Willie Mason just because he wants to box, or misses a Corporate doo - the club needs him paticularly after their losses in the off season! Fair Dinkum - The Bulldogs need Willie more than he needs the grief from the Club! The bloke is in demand! and only 12 months ago he said he would give NFL a go! He's built to fit into the offense in that game- running back! When he plays for NSW - he's the only bloke in the last couple of years in the forwards who consistently needs a couple of tacklers to bring down! (hell I reckon Wayne Bennett would take a punt and sign the dude as Bennett always picked him in his australian side!)

Willie's mum tries to text sense into her son

Andrew Webster | November 2, 2007

When Sonya Mason learnt that her son was set to storm out of Belmore, she walked up the road to the shop, bought credit for her mobile phone and sent him a text message: "STAY AT THE BULLDOGS". Then she went to her hair appointment.

Late yesterday, she phoned Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad. "The two of you should sit down and talk this out," she said in a voicemail message. "You don't hate each other." Then she picked up her daughters from school.

As William Mason well knows, Mrs Mason knows best. And this is what she thinks: William should not go anywhere.

"I don't want him to leave," she said last night from the Newcastle home Mason bought for her and his seven siblings. "I don't want him going to England or America or another club or to become a boxer.

"I want William to stay at the Bulldogs for the rest of his career. Because that's where he belongs. But I am shocked by this. I spoke to him on Sunday and he said everything was sweet. He and Malcolm were getting on well, as far as I know."

But Sonya has some theories about why her son is about to leave the club which has become a significant part of the Mason household.

"There are some leagues club directors who don't want him there," she said. "I can't say their names but I overheard them talking about him [during the season], and they didn't know who I was.

"They said they like what he does on the field, but they don't like his attitude. William is very honest, very straightforward. Sometimes it gets him into a lot of trouble."

Since Mason joined the Bulldogs in 1998 after the Hunter Mariners disbanded, Sonya and her children have been embraced by all at Belmore. They have never missed a home match, travelling down on the train and returning that night.

Even if Big Willie leaves, she still wants her 16-year-old son Rodney, who played Harold Matthews with the Roosters this year, to join the Dogs from next season. When it came to re-signing his contract two years ago, she convinced Willie to pen a four-year deal.

"And that's why I am feeling guilty today," she admitted. "I cannot be angry at my son or Malcolm Noad. But I am angry at myself for making him stay so long. Maybe I am pushing him too hard.

"We love the club. They have always been good to us. We're Bulldogs supporters."

Sonya raised her family on her own after her husband Ian died when Willie was 17. Since then, Willie has become a father figure and bought the family a four-bedroom home in the Newcastle suburb of Charlestown. He regularly gives his mother money to support the family.

Sonya talked briefly to her son yesterday, but for most of the day the biggest headline in the NRL had his mobile switched off. She said friends had been calling her throughout the day to reassure her that he was OK. And she wondered about Noad's belief that Willie thinks he's bigger than the club, because she only knows a selfless son committed to his family - and his game.

"My brother died on October 3, and he was in camp with the Australian side," she said. "He was close to him and visited him in hospital when he was sick. He felt bad that he couldn't go to the funeral. William just wants to please everyone."
    smh.com.au

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Big pay cut on the cards for Big Willie
    By James Phelps

November 02, 2007

WILLIE MASON will be forced to take a $350,000 pay cut to continue his career in the NRL if he walks away from his lucrative contract with the Bulldogs.

That is the professional verdict from leading player manager Steve Gillis who last night declared no club in the NRL could afford to pay a superstar like Mason his right worth at this stage of the year.

He said it was not a case of lack of interest in Mason - just the reality of life under the current NRL salary cap laws.

If Mason walks out on the Bulldogs he would be forced to sign for $100,000 if he wants to continue his career in Australia.

"There isn't much here in Australia at the moment," Gillis said.

"He is a world-class player but clubs here are still trying to off-load players rather than sign them.

"There wouldn't be any club in the NRL who could afford him.

"I could almost guarantee he would not be playing in Australia unless he was prepared to play for $100,000."

Mason would most likely be forced to play in the English Super League should he walk away from his $450,000-a-year deal with the Bulldogs. It is understood powerful English club Hull are on the lookout for a prop while Castleford have also expressed interest in recruiting a forward.

"There are options overseas and especially in England," Gillis said.

"He could pick up a contract on reasonable money in the Super League. I can't see why the Bulldogs would release him to play anywhere else though."

Gillis said Mason had the talent to switch codes, with a career in rugby union a possibility.

"He could handle anything," Gillis said.

"But whether he has the desire for it is another thing."

Gillis warned Mason not to make a hasty decision.

"You don't want to be rushed into a decision to switch codes," he said.

"It is a big move and something you have to put a lot of thought into.

"He would need to think it through. He could certainly have a look at union.

"I am not saying the ARU but I am sure he could get a run somewhere."

A career in the NFL could also be an option for the 115kg firebrand.

Mason earlier this year dropped an NRL bombshell when he declared he wanted to play for the New York Jets.

Mason spent a week in the "Big Apple" training with the NFL giants but returned without a contract.
    TELEGRAPH

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

This Mason thing is really clogging up the headlines atm.

I don't really care what he does, I'm not a fan of Mason in any shape or form.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

no offence DH, but just because you don't like him should the press not report on him??

Roosters cool on Mason

November 02, 2007

THE Sydney Roosters have attempted to distance themselves from reports disgruntled Bulldogs star Willie Mason could join the club next NRL season.
    Mason is in crisis talks with the Bulldogs and has threatened to walk out on the final two years of his contract with the club.

A News Limited report today claimed that Sydney Roosters coach Brad Fittler would attempt to lure Mason to Bondi Junction if he left the Dogs, however the club has moved to silence the speculation.

In a statement posted on their website the Roosters indicated they would not be able to accommodate Mason next year.

"The Sydney Roosters have not considered Mason as he is still contracted to the Bulldogs for another two years," read the statement.

"It's a compliment that Mason feels the Roosters has appeal, however the club is not in any position to consider a player of his stature.

AAP