Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

My friends, I'm here to say proudly, Willie Mason is Going nowhere

Tar tar

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Sounds like the bulldogs have a morale problem.

I agree with the club denying him time off to train for a boxing match. They're forking out $400K a year for him to play footy and train for footy. Not make celebrity appearances that require time away from footy to train. And what if he buggered his wrist again boxing and was gone for the season? I'm sure he'd still expect his $400K from the club for the 2008 season.

No club can afford Willie Mason at this stage. Its England or a price cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Sounds like a 'reporter' woke up one morning and decided he didn't like the bulldogs.

Bulldogs talk tough over Mason rumours

November 1, 2007 - 2:00PM

Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad says the club will meet disgruntled Test star Willie Mason over the next 24 hours to discuss his future with the NRL team.

Mason is upset with the club over its refusal to let him take on a professional boxing fight in January next year and for imposing an undisclosed fine on him for missing the club's grand final function.

Mason met with club chairman George Peponis on Wednesday night to discuss his concerns and a possible release from the final two years of his contract.

Noad told a press conference at Belmore that the club would not bow to Mason's demands and it was time he showed more discipline and respect to the Bulldogs and their fans.

While the club would attempt to resolve the issues with Mason, Noad said a release from his player contract could be the only resolution.

"Obviously Willie has got some issues with me apparently and the club," said Noad.

"There's a number of things through the years that Willie has not fulfilled.

"No one player is bigger than the club and it has reached that point and he needs to understand that.

"He is a professional footballer. He can not be a boxer and a footballer in our opinion."

Noad said the Bulldogs had intended to discuss Mason's behaviour and commitment with him prior to pre-season training resuming later this month.

The chief executive denied that Mason's teammate Reni Maitua wanted out of the club.

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Sounds like a 'reporter' woke up one morning and decided he didn't like the bulldogs.
    Good thing I'm not a reporter cause I've been waking up like that for years.

Titans First Grader hugebrianfan's Avatar

so what is going on.? is mason leaving..?

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hugebrianfan View Post
    so what is going on.? is mason leaving..?
    Willie got abducted by some aliens-and we think he will be used for cross breeding with that bloke Cousins! At least that's the latest rumour (think I heard it on 2UE).

But seriously Willie is just to good a player for Canterbury to release without some serious behind closed door discussions! And unless some of you have contacts within the Bulldogs camp all is just pure media beat up!

PS I told everyone the Storm were cutting the Norths Devils as the feeder club before it made the press ! SO TRUST ME! (some of you poo pooed me then too- but Willie & the Aliens ?)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Diehard View Post
    Willie got abducted by some aliens-and we think he will be used for cross breeding with that bloke Cousins! At least that's the latest rumour (think I heard it on 2UE).

But seriously Willie is just to good a player for Canterbury to release without some serious behind closed door discussions! And unless some of you have contacts within the Bulldogs camp all is just pure media beat up!

PS I told everyone the Storm were cutting the Norths Devils as the feeder club before it made the press ! SO TRUST ME! (some of you poo pooed me then too- but Willie & the Aliens ?)

gees you make me laugh

Mason threatens to take others with him

Thursday, November 1, 2007 - 4:58 PM

The bitter relations between Willie Mason and the Bulldogs have increased with his management claiming the club's four highest profile players could follow Mason if he quits.

Mason's manager Greg Keenan released a statement which claimed the 27-year-old Test forward had the support of the Bulldogs high profile stars who would be willing to leave the club if Mason sought a release.

"Four of the highest profile players at the club have told Willie that if he leaves they will consider following him," said Keenan.

"Willie remains contracted to the Bulldogs for 2008 and 2009. At this stage he has not sought a release from the club but whether he does remains to be seen."

Mason's management had been infuriated by comments by Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad earlier suggesting the player thought he was bigger than the club.

"Willie is heading into his 11th season at Belmore. No one from the playing group has contributed more than Willie over that period," said Keenan.

"He has consistently agreed to contracts below his market value because of loyalty to the Bulldogs.

"He has also deferred contract payments a number of times in an effort to help the club through their ongoing salary cap issues.

"For Malcolm Noad to suggest that Willie thinks he is bigger than the club is ill informed and very unfair.

"Willie's best mates are at the Bulldogs, he has given a decade of loyal service to the club and he loves the place."

Noad said the club would seek a resolution with Mason in the next 24 hours over his disputes regarding a boxing bout and club fine for missing a function.

However he insisted the club would not budge on its stance for either issue and that Mason had to realise his responsibilities and show more respect to the Bulldogs, his teammates and the supporters.

"No one player is bigger than a club and I think it's reached that stage and he needs to understand that," said Noad.

"This is about discipline and it's about respect.

"It's about guys towing the line and it's about people having respect for the club and what the club stands for.

"The club will move on, with or without Willie Mason."
    Source: AAP

Bulldogs fans are sick and tired of having their club in the headlines for all the wrong reason. And it is always the players who drag this club down.

Quote Originally Posted by news article
    "No one player is bigger than a club and I think it's reached that stage and he needs to understand that," said Noad.
    Willie needs to be knocked down a peg or three.

yeah i seen that on the news just then, well at 6:30.

Mason has become good mates with some team mates, they said they'd consider leaving if mason does.

this is sad, coz he wanted to be a bulldog for life. If he does go he'll have no trouble finding a new club, hes an excellent footballer

Titan One Clubman

Never really paid much attention to Noad, but his performance to the mdeia today was top notch. He isn't go to sit take crap from nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Social Loafer View Post
    Never really paid much attention to Noad, but his performance to the mdeia today was top notch. He isn't go to sit take crap from nobody.
    yeah i thought it was awesome how he treated the media its good he didnt lash out or anything :woot:

No one person is bigger than the club - I agree. But surely that has to go both ways; for players (Mason) and management (Noad).

I can hardly see 4 other players following Mason out the door into oblivion. I don't know who the 4 other top line players are, but from the Bulldogs squad you'd have to think of names like:

SBW, Andrew Ryan, Reni Matiua, Hazem El Masri, Luke Patten..

Probably others, but of that list the only ones who'd seriously have the odds in their favour of turning up immediate deals of equal or better are SBW and Matiua. Ryan possibly.

I don't think the Bulldogs can afford to lose their last enforcer in Mason. Perhaps if they still had O'Meley and Asotasi, but now their in a tough spot.

If he goes its gonna be a hell of a tough year for the likes of Chris Armit, Jarrad Hickey and SBW. Not to mention the 'hot and cold' halves pairing who need all the edge they can get sometimes that comes on the back of a good packs hard work. I'm not confident of their chances to make the 8 even if he stays, but if he goes (and especially if he takes others with him) they could be good value to place bottom 4.