Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Default Mason released by Bulldogs and joins Roosters.

Mason threatens to quit Bulldogs

One of the biggest stars in the NRL, Willie Mason is threatening to walk away from his club after being told he would be fined for not attending a grand final lunch.

When Mason signed his current contract in 2005 he said that he was looking forward to being a one-club-man.

"I am extremely happy to have the opportunity to possibly play out my career at the Bulldogs," Mason said.

At the time, he had been linked to Cronulla and the Sydney Roosters.

Mason, age twenty-seven was linked to a move to the NFL in 2006 which the Bulldogs were quick to hose down saying: "Willie has given us his guarantee he will be with us," in a club statement.

Adding to the dramas at Belmore today were reports by News Limited that club CEO Malcom Noad was going to be sacked.

The club responded angrily via media release.

It is a malicious lie that is totally unfounded," Peponis said.

"I was taken aback when informed that this story was running.

"There is absolutely no truth to it and Malcolm Noad will continue to be the Bulldogs CEO."
    www.ninemsn.com.au

there is one sentence in this whole article that relates to the heading. why bother even writing the article if you have no information worthwhile putting in it.

Willie Mason threatens to quit Bulldogs
    Exclusive by James Phelps

October 31, 2007

NRL superstar Willie Mason is on the verge of quitting the Bulldogs after a major falling out with the club's CEO Malcolm Noad.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Mason has threatened to walk away from his lucrative contract after being told he would be fined for not attending a grand final lunch.

On a day of drama at Belmore, club chairman George Peponis was forced to deny claims Noad was set to be sacked.

However Peponis did not deny their star player Mason wanted out.
    AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

QLD Cup Titan

WHO WILL GET THE BOOT - WILLIE OR NOAD?

Well Noad ain't going to win canterbury any games! So my bet is he's gone and Willie you're safe!

Titan One Clubman

Grow up Mason, the club has stood by you at lot at your time at the club, not to mention pay you a bucket load of cash.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

there is one sentence in this whole article that relates to the heading. why bother even writing the article if you have no information worthwhile putting in it.
    Yeah i was gonna cut the rest, but forgot to.

wasn't having a shot at you.

just hate when a heading catches my attention and I read the whole article only to find it contains no more info then the original heading.

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvinator View Post
    wasn't having a shot at you.

just hate when a heading catches my attention and I read the whole article only to find it contains no more info then the original heading.
    This will probably be back page story of the telegraph tomorrow, therefore it doesn't need too much substance.

no, with a heading like that most people will read it no matter what substance it had.

don't want to put all the details in it, gotta drag it out for a few days/weeks

Mason set to leave Bulldogs: report

October 31, 2007 - 10:56PM

High profile Bulldogs rugby league forward Willie Mason is set to leave the club, according to a newspaper report.

The Daily Telegraph reported that the Test forward was furious because he was to be fined $50,000 for not attending a grand final luncheon.

Club chairman George Peponis told the newspaper that nothing had been set in stone regarding the Mason's future.

"No fine has been imposed but it has been discussed," Peponis said.

"It has not been definitely said there will be a fine.

"If Willie has issues we need to sit down and discuss them with him."

The newspaper reported that Mason had problems with club CEO Malcolm Noad and had issued a `him or me' ultimatum.

? 2007 AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

I see Mason in red and white.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Default Not A Rumour Anymore

Bulldogs, mauler Mason part ways

THE Bulldogs will release jaded superstar Willie Mason from the final two years of his lucrative contract after the club rejected his request to fight in a professional boxing bout next year.

On the same day the club was forced to deny reports that chief executive Malcolm Noad was poised to be sacked, Mason was last night drinking at a Woolloomooloo restaurant and telling teammates he had played his last game for the Bulldogs.

Mason is livid that he could be fined for not attending a function on grand final day - although the club scoffed at his claims that he is facing a $50,000 reprimand.

The Herald understands teammate Reni Maitua is also considering asking for a release because he did not attend the function and faces possible sanctions.

The falling-out with Mason has been brewing for some months but the relationship completely soured when his manager demanded Mason have time off early in the new year so he could train for a boxing bout.

"Yes, we were [approached] and we said no," Noad said. "We said he can't be a professional footballer and a professional boxer at the same time."

It is believed Mason stood to receive $100,000 for the fight. He was also telling teammates last night that there was a clause in his $400,000-a-season deal allowing him to walk out - which Noad disputed.

"If Willie doesn't want to play, we will give him a release," Noad said. "No one is bigger than the club and the team. If Willie wants a release, he can call me. I won't be chasing him.

"There is no doubt that there are some underlying issues."

Mason did not return the Herald's calls but one Bulldogs player said: "He's gone. He definitely wants out."

Noad insisted Maitua would not be fined, because he had informed football manager Brad Clyde that he would not attend. Maitua is holidaying in Los Angeles and could not be contacted last night.

What is certain is that the Bulldogs are a club in crisis, with accusations flying thick and fast behind the scenes yesterday.

Yesterday morning, Bulldogs chairman George Peponis was forced to deny radio and website reports that Noad would be sacked at midday.

Across town at the same time, South Sydney announced its chief executive, Shane Richardson, had quit to take up a position with a new sports, media and investment business.

"It is a malicious lie that is totally unfounded," Peponis said in a statement. "I was taken aback when informed that this story was running. There is absolutely no truth to it and Malcolm Noad will continue to be the Bulldogs CEO."
    Noad revealed he had been assured by Peponis at a board meeting last week that he had the support of directors.

"He said there had been no discussions - formally or informally - about my possible demise," Noad said.

"George Peponis is a man of great integrity and he looked me between the eyes and told me my job was safe, so I believe him."

Several Bulldogs sources said Mason had become offside with some players and that his attitude would be addressed when he returned to training later this month.

At the same time, players told the Herald they had lost faith in the club's management because it was more concerned with protecting the image of the club than supporting them.

Despite the schism, Noad laughed at claims the fine being dished out to Mason was about $50,000.

"We don't get fined $5000 if you go DUI," he said. "You would have to invade the White House. I'm told he's filthy for not attending the grand final function. Other players managed to attend, even though they were at other functions and had arms in a sling.

"We haven't even discussed it with him yet, although in all likelihood he will be [fined] because he let his team and club down."

Meanwhile, Richardson insisted he had not been pressured out of the chief executive's chair at South Sydney.

Richardson will become director of sports operations at The Passionate Group - a new company headed by South Sydney's executive chairman Peter Holmes a Court - but will have a consulting role as director of football operations at South for the next 12 months.

Asked whether he had jumped before being pushed, Richardson replied: "To even comment on that is ordinary. It was never a matter of being pushed. There was never a discussion [like that] with me in any way."

He said he hoped to start negotiations with Parramatta fullback Jarryd Hayne this week.

"My task was to re-establish the Rabbitohs as a force again in the NRL," he said. "At the end of the last season I sought out the owners and informed them that I was looking for a new challenge and that we needed to look closely at the best structure to carry the club forward to success, thinking outside of the box on that structure while ensuring stability."
    source: leaguehq

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I see Mason in red and white.
    Probably the red and white of St. Helens.

The only way Mason could stay in Australia is if he took a big pay cut. And judging by the fact that he got angry at a alleged $50,000 fine than he cares more about money than the footy team he plays for.

Well $50k is an unusually large fine.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    Probably the red and white of St. Helens.

The only way Mason could stay in Australia is if he took a big pay cut. And judging by the fact that he got angry at a alleged $50,000 fine than he cares more about money than the footy team he plays for.
    like petro?? and 99.9% of other players playing nrl.